iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Finally got to saw some Walnut

Started by Don K, December 08, 2008, 08:22:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don K

I finally got to cut some walnut. 8) Too bad it ain't mine. :'( :( It is very hard to get where I live. This grew up in a river bottom and was part of a land clearing and was destined for a burnpile. The trees were cut with a D6 with a stump shear. They were not big trees and I was able to salvage about 350 bd ft. for my buddy Earl to build a big table and some left over. Cut most of it 6/6.

These trees were very crooked. Lengths I cut were from 5' to 12'. When I was sawing a crotch I found this inside.

I cut Earl two pair of bookmatched 6/6 X 9' boards. Total width is 20". I wish they were mine. One would be a coffee table and the other would be a buffet table for my great room. If he doesn't do something with these boards I will skin him.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Radar67

I think I would have bartered the whole job for those two boards Don.  ;)
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

WDH

Heck, I will come and skin him too!

The smell of walnut while sawing is so distinctive.  I love the smell; others have said that they don't like it.  It is my favorite wood to saw :).  In fact, it is my favorite wood for most everything :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Don K

I like the way it smells too, but my wife thought it stunk when she walked up. When I showed her the bookmatched pieces though, it quickly became her new favorite wood. ;D If only it was as numerous as a pine around here I would be set.  ::)

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

bandmiller2

Don, that would have made a beautiful stock for your bird gun.the few walnut/butternut logs I've cut have had little figure. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Rockfarmer

Norm

You know that's funny but I'd trade you some walnut for decent pine logs myself. We have no pine to speak of and tons of walnut on my place.

Does make good 2x4's though. ;D

Dodgy Loner

Norm, I'll trade you all the pine you want for a trailer-load of walnut logs!  Here's the deal: load your biggest trailer with the nicest walnut logs you can find, drive to Georgia and drop them off at my dad's place, and we'll cut the nicest pines on our property, load them onto your trailer, and you can cruise back to Iowa.  Whaddaya say? ;D ;D ;D
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

ely

i say norm its closer to my house than Ga. i'll make the same deal. ;D

DWM II

Stewardship Counts!

WDH

I am trying to figure out how I can get in on this deal :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Don K

He has to pass my place before he gets to Georgia.  ;D I know Terry can't bushwack him because his pines are little yet. That is one swap I would love to make.

Don

pineywoods

I notice Norm's being kinda quiet ;D  Hey I'm even closer and I've got 200 acres of prime pine timber, probably could scrape up some cypress too ;D
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Gary_C

Quote from: pineywoods on December 09, 2008, 10:32:46 PM
I notice Norm's being kinda quiet ;D 

You guys noticed that too. I got him covered from the north. Not that I want any walnut, it's just that I've got pine too.   :)

So maybe you need to up the offers. Try free delivery and pick up.   :D :D

I know what Norm is saying. Most people around here want to find someone like you guys that like Walnut and get them to remove those nasty beautiful trees, and of course pay them what they are worth. I hear the going price is $35,000 per tree. Oh and they can guarantee that no one has been within 100 miles of that tree with a hammer and nails.

:D :D :D
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Norm

Sorry guys I got caught up in hanging doors for my son. It is kind of funny but while I was out deer hunting this weekend I took an inventory of the walnut on our place (can you tell the deer hunting was slow). It is the dominant tree along the crick line and those little squirrels are doing their best to keep it going. My biggest problem is the bucks that think they are perfect for rubs. For some reason the dnr doesn't think that a 4" walnut being ruined is damage.... >:(

It is good to know that my fellow FF members are so happy to help out. Probably shouldn't tell you we've been burning those big ones in the fireplace cause they are just too darn big to get on the mill. ;D

SwampDonkey

Well I know what it's like to see the animals scrape up and make withdrawals from your inventory.  Just be glad no moose are among them deer to terrorize them walnut. ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

Quote from: Norm on December 10, 2008, 07:19:57 AM
Probably shouldn't tell you we've been burning those big ones in the fireplace cause they are just too darn big to get on the mill. ;D

Ouch that hurts!  No, you should not have told us.  I will have nightmares tonight :).

Thank You Sponsors!