iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Is a log just a log?

Started by redbeard, April 13, 2013, 02:06:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

redbeard

When your sawing customers logs and you come across the valuable ones (oak. Cherry , all species) You know as a sawyer that there is something there. Do you stop and explain it to them that this might be better to saw a different way or do you just keep sawing 2x 6s and collect your money. I have a hard time with this. Last week a fellow brought a really old Doug fir tree that was super tight grain huge orange heart with only 1" of sap wood ring and extremely straight no taper 16' logs. He wanted all 2x6s. I opened my mouth and told him what he should do with it and it would be more valuable to quarter saw and so on. He didn't want nothing to do with it. It was his tree and he wanted what he wanted. Its been bugging ever since. I made the most prettiest 2x6s ever but I don't know if will ever do it again. I even offered more board feet from lower grade logs I had. He wouldn't do it. I think he enjoyed my torment.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Ianab

Frustrating, but bottom line is that it's the customers log, to do what they want with.

You can suggest a different use, but if he want's 2x6s, he gets 2x6s, and darn good ones at that. Smile, nod and start sawing.   ::) :D

He's probably boasting to his buddies now about his garden shed being build with timber that's so much better than they can buy at the shop...

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Cedarman

I feel the duty is to explain the possibilities the log has for items other than what the customer asks for and so forth.  Saying something like  "I just wanted you to know this before we make the 2x6 in case you wanted to change your mind" should give you peace of mind.
Once the person says, gentleman , start your saw, it is time to saw.
You have done your duty.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

bandmiller2

You have to feel out the customers,many of mine are builders,and get what they ask for.The pilgrims I ask what their building,and suggest whats best for boath of us,most don't really understand the most efficient way.If they really know what they want that's what they get. When they buy from me they get "full measure pressed down and running over" if their a pain in the butt I suggest a competitor and tell them how to get there. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Ianab on April 13, 2013, 02:28:12 AM

He's probably boasting to his buddies now about his garden shed being build with timber that's so much better than they can buy at the shop...

Ian

:D You are probably right......so right.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

thecfarm

Some may not really understand quarter sawing too.I know of one person he would not want to learn from others,he thinks he knows everything. Than they may think it will cost more,even it it don't. Some have one idea AND that is the only way to do it. Then too if you traded the log for some lumber you all ready had sawed.they may feel you are making a BUNCH of money from THIER log and they don't want that to happen.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

AdamT

I had a customer last summer, that I sawed around 4mbf of framing lumber for. His logs.... All walnut! He wouldn't listen to a word I had in terms of suggestions/ alternate uses. He told me "wood is wood".   He was going to build a garage with it. He would have been better off selling the walnut lumber, taking that money and buying his framing lumber.

I always enjoy talking with the ones that keep an open mind, and willing to listen to different possibilities.

2017 Wood-Mizer LT40HDD35-RA
2011 Wood-Mizer LT40 HD

It's better to have it and not need it then it is to need it and not have it

mesquite buckeye

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

mikeb1079

Quote4mbf of framing lumber for. His logs.... All walnut! He wouldn't listen to a word I had in terms of suggestions/ alternate uses. He told me "wood is wood".   He was going to build a garage with it. He would have been better off selling the walnut lumber, taking that money and buying his framing lumber.

with 4kbf at 2-3$ he could've likely paid for his whole garage with that lumber.   smiley_lit_bulb  however i fully understand that alot of folks just want what they want.  a friend of mine recently built a coffee table out of some lumber that i gave him.  he said he had to tongue and groove the top.  i told him that it wasn't necessary and explained that a long grain glue joint is stronger than the wood fibers themselves.  another woodworking friend also told him this.  didn't matter he did it anyways   :laugh: :laugh:  just kinda funny what we get in our little heads sometimes.   :D :D running-doggy
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

beenthere

Quote from: mesquite buckeye on April 13, 2013, 10:35:22 AM
Can't fix stupid. :-\

Puzzles me why one would be called "stupid" when he has his own logs and wants them milled into a product he is going to use himself. 

Might be fitting if a guy took someone else's logs of high value/quality and then sawed them up into a product that ruined that value/quality. 

Just puzzlin... to me.  ::)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

mesquite buckeye

To me, a waste of something valuable to make something of low value is a poor use of resources.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

sealark37

I was once off-bearing for a sawyer who cut a particularly beautiful ERC board from a large tree.  He told me, "Put that one on my truck, it's too pretty for that a$$hole".  At the time, I was somewhat mortified, but I have since come to see the old boy's point.   Regards, Clark

red oaks lumber

i saw what they want, no questions asked. once had a guy bring me over 3 16' red oaks not a pimple on them any where. about 20" diameter, wanted 2x6 and 2x8 replacing the deck on his goose neck trailer.
we all view value differntly if a log costs nothing and you want framing material then thats the value to you. people think its ashame when they see me gang ripping buaetiful  1x12 into something narrower but, had i sawed them smaller from the log no big deal. the log costs the same no matter what is cut from it..
stupid has no involvement in this one
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Dave Shepard

I think you need to say something. If they want to saw it anyway, that's their business. However, many people having custom sawing done may not know the difference, and would appreciate knowing their log may have a higher value use.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

mesquite buckeye

You could make really nice road gravel out of the Hope diamond and the British Crown Jewels. Doesn't mean that is a good thing.

Tom the Sawyer

Many of my clients have never had a log sawn before and the whole experience is new, and exciting, to them.  The service I provide includes not only the mechanical actions of the mill but also the 'services' of the sawyer, which includes advice, where appropriate.  We discuss what their plans are for the lumber and if they have any specific needs.  If there is an option, I'll offer it to them.  If they have questions I try to answer them.  Certainly it is their decision but an informed decision is usually easier to live with.   smiley_thumbsup

I have had a few clients who knew exactly what they wanted, and didn't need any help - just someone to saw.  Fortunatey, those have been rare.  I like having them involved.  I normally explain the mill's functions, offer them safety equipment (muffs, mask, goggles, gloves, etc.), show them how a cant hook works, where the danger zones are, when to pull slabs or boards and, if they don't have a tape on their belt, I'll furnish one.   smiley_hardhat

Not only are they happy to get the best boards possible from their logs, most really enjoy the event, and some even tell me that they learned a lot.   smiley_scholar

Of course, it won't work for everyone.  If you are sawing to order in a production setting then there probably aren't any customers around.  Our situations are different, I've been pretty happy with mine.  :) :) 
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

mesquite buckeye

Very nice, Tom.  I'm sure you do it right. :)

dboyt

I always let a customer know what the options are.  A few weeks ago, a fellow called me about milling some walnut so he could have the wood for a few projects.  The tree was 26" dbh, and perfectly straight at least 30'.  I arranged for a walnut buyer, who paid $3,400 for the tree, and sold the customer $500 worth of walnut lumber for his projects.  Other times, I have offered to substitute my own oak in exchange for the customer's walnut, cherry, or cedar logs.  I've even swapped split, seasoned oak firewood for a walnut log that was going to be cut for firewood.  Of course, there are always those who insist on doing things their own way.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

AdamT

Very, very, VERY well said Tom!

2017 Wood-Mizer LT40HDD35-RA
2011 Wood-Mizer LT40 HD

It's better to have it and not need it then it is to need it and not have it

Thank You Sponsors!