iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Best use for twisted log

Started by JoshNZ, February 27, 2021, 03:31:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoshNZ

Hi guys just wondering what you do with a log you find in your stack that has an obvious twist in it. I have an acacia melanoxylon/blackwood that I'd like to slab up I'd say it has some pretty cool inclusions in it but it does over a quarter turn over 4m or so.

Are slabs a waste of time? Boards? Firewood?

Thanks

GAB

Quote from: JoshNZ on February 27, 2021, 03:31:41 PM
Hi guys just wondering what you do with a log you find in your stack that has an obvious twist in it. I have an acacia melanoxylon/blackwood that I'd like to slab up I'd say it has some pretty cool inclusions in it but it does over a quarter turn over 4m or so.

Are slabs a waste of time? Boards? Firewood?

Thanks
I'd try for slabs and/or boards.
If it doesn't pan out you'll have some expensive designer firewood.
Nuttin ventured, nuttin gained. 
Remember that knowledge or college of hard knocks tuition is expensive.
Please let us know what you decide and how it pans out.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Ianab

Slab it a bit thicker, and make sure it's on the bottom of the drying stack so there is a ton or so of wood on top of it. Even if it twists a bit you can still crosscut into 3 coffee tables vs one bar top. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

moodnacreek

RAYAR

mobile manual mill (custom build) (mods & additions on-going)
Custom built auto band sharpener (currently under mods)
Husqvarna 50, 61, 254XP (and others)
96 Polaris Sportsman 500
2006 Ranger 4X2 w/cap, manual trans (431,000 Km)

JoshNZ

I ended up slabbing it into 80mm slabs, I'll stick it on the bottom of another two logs worth of stacks and hope for the best.

I'm quite a fan of the blackwood I think most of the bigger ones I'm going to cut into thick slabs and market as bar tops.

We had a bit of a shindig the other night, I pulled one off the stack and put the sled over it and a quick sanding to 80 grit, it came up pretty well, was certainly a hit. I've probably wrecked the slab oiling one side only 2 months after milling but it was a bit with the pith anyway I'm not worried about losing it. Half the guests said they'd quite happily buy it as it is.

I might put legs on it and install it on a friend's deck as a bit of an experiment. They don't seem to be moving much

Ianab

It's a hardwood, so moves more than Mac  / cedar etc, and seems more prone to pith cracks, but that's a cool slab.

I pulled a board out of the stack a little while ago, and made a knife block for the fancy Smeg knifes from the supermarket promotion. That wanted a full book of stickers PLUS $50 for their acacia knife block, that looked mostly plastic. "Nah, I've got a stack of Acacia at home and can make us one"  :D

For those outside Aus / NZ. Blackwood is closely related to Hawaiian Koa, but can grow a log like Josh's slab came from on about 30 years, and being in imported species, there are no restrictions on cutting and sawing it. So there are a few logs around from the "farm forestry" crowd.

And the knives were a loyalty promotion from one of the local Supermarket chains. Buy Groceries, collect stickers, and redeem them knives. I don't think they are worth the retail price they had listed for them, but they are nice knives.

Now people have seen our knife block, I've got orders from more.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Don P

When I saw that pic Koa popped into my head, pretty stuff.
If you're worried about it oil the other side of that slab to help balance the drying and it'll probably help with cupping.

Small items like the knife block, cutting boards, are a good use for wood that doesn't behave during drying.

Thank You Sponsors!