iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

One of those jobs...

Started by sigidi, June 20, 2014, 08:19:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sigidi

...when ya turn up to mill a tree, the tree is still vertical and the tree lopper is still up in the top of it...?

This is my second job where I've been called in and waiting on tree loppers - so not too bad over 10 years. but on top of 1h,15min drive each way it was a bit annoying.

The customer wanted me to mill it in his back yard after the tree was dropped. This is his back yard...

just no way I was able to get in there and mill in all this bush. After lengthy consultation, I figure I can come back on saturday (now my daughter lives with me, I book mobile jobs for her weekends at her Mums, so I really didn't want to do it, but had already booked up next two 'free' weekends for other jobs) made the difficult decision to get it sorted for the customer - this guy has had the worst run!! He's been ordered to take the tree down after a 10 year battle with his neighbour, but to add insult to injury, the only vehicle access to the tree is via the neighbours driveway so there is a fairly lengthy negotiation period to sort out the tree loppers getting in and also me getting in. The neighbour seems cordial enough with us workers.

After arranging with the customer and neighbour to be back on Saturday morning with bobcat in tow and then take the logs back to the yard to mill them, I go home with nothing done for the day. Once home I get a call from the neighbour, the long and short of it is he won't give me access to get the logs out unless the customer agrees to grind the stump of the tree! The tree is in the customers yard!!and the tree loppers don't believe the court order dictates the customer has to grind the stump, so its just vindictive on the neighbours part - more negotiation.

Finally agreements re-made and Saturday arrives, first load...

Second load...

I did two tanks of fuel driving the bobcat and logs back and forth, plus had a very challenging day being mediator between customer and neighbour for 10 hours, I was so drained by the end of the day, I just had to go fishing the next day  ;)

Was a great day for the missus, she scored 1 silver perch, 1 spangled perch, 2 bass, 3 fork tailed catfish and 7 Tilapia. Myself just two of those Tilapia on the string and 3 catfish, but it was just what the doctor ordered before getting back into it Monday.

My boss and number 1 helper did the slabbing while I sharpened chains, took slabs and stacked them, but also had to spray each slab with an anti-fungal spray as the timber (Queensland Kauri Pine) is prone to blue stain - very time consuming and tedious.

Customer also wanted some biscuits from two of the logs I had to dock to fit them up the neighbours driveway, So I chucked them on top of an opened log and went nice and steady....

Checkout the difference in sawdust when crosscutting using the slabber rather than ripping with it...

Finally we had everything cut, sprayed, stickered, stacked and strapped...

Husqvarna 395xp with 24" bar for scale - couple of nice big logs.

Hopefully you guys have had better jobs than this lately  ;)
Always willing to help - Allan

goose63

At least the fishing was good
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

drobertson

Heck of a Job! nice work! and nice catch as well!
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

thecfarm

Nice looking lumber,mighty nice stacking and stickering.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

rasman57

Very nice work!  Interesting story too!   You have the right attitude for that job as that kind of stress can be hard.   Great pics!

YellowHammer

My hats off to you, your commitment to see a job through to the end is amazing.  I hope the customer appreciated it.
Great job.
YH
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Ljohnsaw

From the angle of the first picture, I thought you were slicing up a palm tree!  Amazing pile of lumber.  Great work, great attitude!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

JohnM

On top of all that, Sig was kind enough to answer my questions about trying to get my slabber working.  Had I known you had all that going on, Sig, I wouldn't have bothered you!  As always, great work and many thanks, Sig! :)

Btw NO fence is high enough to make that neighbor 'good'. ::)
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

sigidi

Thanks all for the kind words :D

It was a challenging job, but the bill has been paid in full and I always say, you gotta have times like this so you can appreciate the good times.

John, absolutely no problems helping you out mate. I dsisnt do very much, just sent a couple emails, you got it sorted yaself mate ;)

Customer hasbeen out and spent a day painting the ends with end grain sealer and seems very happy with the whole job and it has given me opportunity to get the kids a kayak so they come fishing at times too...still not convinced that is a good thing. Hahahaha
Always willing to help - Allan

Thank You Sponsors!