iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How thick do you cut 1x and 2x in green wood?

Started by woodcat47, March 12, 2016, 09:31:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck White

For most of my customers I cut inch lumber using the ruler and the lumber will come off at 7/8-15/16".

For those that specify otherwise I'll cut the full inch using the 4/4 scale or the 5/4 scale!

For two (2) inch, I have always used the ruler.

It's all in what the customer wants!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

carykong

Without setworks I tend to cut framing lumber a true 2" thick and a width comparable with store bought lumber. So for example I cut a 2x6 2 inches by 5 1/2.  Therefore,the project is interchangeable with store lumber. Also, green framing lumber cut 1 1/2 thick has a greater chance to distort during drying not to mention some loss of strength particularly if you are sawing grade 3 type pine

svart ole

When you are doing custom sawing it is up to the customer what they want. Now if you are selling to someone who is brokering you lumber. There are outfits around that will buy from small mills and then sort by grade and package it and ship it out by the semi load. Now you are going to be dealing with industry standard grading rules for product.

Here is a link to one of the standards out west. It will give you some idea how they look at it. When the end user is not going to surface it and is going to use it green or air dried you find they often want what would be looked at as under size. Just a matter of their application.

http://www.wclib.org/r17-pdf-online/wclib/pdfs/l_WCLIB_2004_RulesBook_9.pdf

Now days any place that has any type of building code with few exceptions requires 2X lumber used in framing to carry a grade stamp.
My wife said I collect junk, I told her I am a amateur industrial archaeologist just trying to save valuable artifacts.

Thank You Sponsors!