iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Clamp Rack

Started by lowpolyjoe, February 06, 2016, 11:45:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lowpolyjoe

Another one of those projects where 25% into the job I realize things aren't going to go my way.

I've wanted to make a rolling clamp rack for a long time.  I also wanted to cleanup some old scraps of useless wood I've had in my garage forever.  Being the cheapskate that I am, I decided I would look around at all my junk wood and figure out how to make a rolling clamp rack out of it.   Terrible idea.

It's too frustrating to account the entire process, but a few of the highlights - It was supposed to take one weekend but ended up taking about a month.  During foolish use of the chop saw I almost got hit in the face with a flying piece of 2x4.  During foolish use of the table saw I had a pretty bad kickback that bloodied my knuckles and I thought might have broken several fingers.  It was cold, my hands were partially numb so it was hard to tell how bad I was injured - luckily I was OK.  Also luckily, I was using a push stick so no contact with the blade.

All said and done, it's fairly close to what I wanted.  Unfortunately, it doesn't hold all my clamps  :(  which is the most frustrating part of the whole affair.  If I would have done some counting, measuring and planning, I could have just made it an extra 6" wider and I'd be set   ::)

beenthere

Good project to have done... now to find an "out of the way" place to park that caddie.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ljohnsaw

Ouch!  One of those days months...

I don't have the floor space to handle such a nice rack.  I picked up a bunch of coat hooks that were being tossed out.  They are the kind that hang down and have two opposing hooks.  I put them up on a low section of ceiling in my shop about 2" apart, side by side.  Parallel and behind about 2 feet, I mounted a pipe rail.  I put the long end of the clamp over the rail and the other over the hook.  I have about 30 40 pipe and bar clamps hanging up in about 6' of ceiling space.

John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

21incher

Nice job. I hung mine on the wall. I took some of those adjustable shelf brackets and made inserts to cradle the clamps. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Kbeitz

Put a cross T side rail on both sides to hold your extra clamps.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Thank You Sponsors!