iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tree ID please?

Started by aigheadish, November 25, 2021, 01:46:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aigheadish

There are a few of these big old trees in my buddy's back yard. Anyone know what they are? My guess is massive walnut but that tends to be my guess for a lot.

New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

firefighter ontheside

Walnut trees would have walnuts on the ground under them most likely.  Bark looks a little light in color to be walnut.  I had a guy try to sell me what he said was butternut.  Before that he thought it was walnut.  It turned out to be cottonwood.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

SwampDonkey

Is it boxelder? Sure seems to be a lot of suckering on it like boxelders do up this way.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

The branching habit makes me think elm.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

mike_belben

thats a deer stand tree.  prune it to spec
Praise The Lord

stavebuyer

Texas Ranger

T like stavebuyer with that bark
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

KEC

I'm with cottonwood. The bark looks like it and the way the branches come off the trunk and angle upward.

aigheadish

Hmm, so the consensus is cottonwood!

I don't think I realized they could get that big! Unfortunately, I don't have may pictures with leaves but I'll ask my buddy if he remembers fuzz floating off it ever. Thanks y'all! 
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

SwampDonkey

Cottonwood is certainly possible. I've had a lot of trembling aspens that looked just like that crown shape, big 36" diameter ones, just before they died off to feed the worms. Big old upswept buttressed limbs and all. ;D

Big old ugly widow makers. Play safe around them monsters.

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

I defer to the cottonwood clan.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

aigheadish

He doesn't recall seeing the fluff from cottonwood but that doesn't mean it's not there. It's along a decent creek and I think the two big ones he's got are close to dead,so maybe they don't produce much cotton. Also, yeah, everything in this part of his yard is relatively dangerous, big trees could come down anytime. 

Tree ID is tough because a lot of the big trees, when I search them out on the internet, look kinda right.

I turned him on to this forum, via sharing the link for this thread, so maybe he'll pay more attention.

firefighter ontheside

He can do like @WDH taught me...take a pencil sized twig of the tree and split it down the middle.  If it is walnut or butternut it will have a honeycomb structure in the center.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Otis1

My initial thought is to agree with cottonwood. But to throw another possibility out there, what about black willow? Looks like a wet site, it would suit either.

aigheadish

Man, looking at some pictures, black willow is another good guess! It's definitely wet there, roots are down below creek grade with some roots out in the creek.

You guys are good! 

WDH

If it is cottonwood, the twigs will be 4-angled toward the tip and the pith will be star shaped.  You will not see that in willow. 

Internet ID from a picture can be challenging.  Much easier when you can personally see the whole tree, twigs, fruit, buds, growth habit, site, etc.  

kantuckid

How about some leaves off the ground nearby?
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

aigheadish

We didn't see any leaves that could be distinguished from any of the other lots of trees around, and the one in the picture is across a creek we couldn't get to. We'll look again in the spring and see what we can determine. 

wisconsitom

Looks cottonwood to my eyes.  Cottonwoods are potentially very large trees, and they do all this growing within roughly 100 years-a short lifespan for a tree.

BTW, cottonwoods, like all members of genus Populus, are dioecious, meaning there are separate "male" and "female" trees.  Hence, if these specimens happened to be males, there would be no "cotton".  Not a sufficient indicator all by itself.
Ask me about hybrid larch!

KEC

Black Willow has dark bark and often does not grow very erect.

Tacotodd

Quote from: KEC on November 29, 2021, 08:24:24 PM
Black Willow does not grow very erect.
Then I don't guess it's a male ;D
Trying harder everyday.

Thank You Sponsors!