iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Skp Tooth chains

Started by T Goodwin, April 05, 2012, 09:51:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Goodwin

I am building a small log "bunkhouse" and have heard that I need a skip tooth chain for my chainsaw to cut length-wise grooves in the logs to fit them together.  Is this true, or, do I need another type of chain?

sealark37

Some folks like skip-tooth chains for ripping cuts.  Others simply sharpen their cutters square, as opposed to the beveled normal tooth angle.  The skip tooth chain simply allows more clearance for chips in the long kerfs of slabbing operations.  Regards, Clark

tjdub

shelbycharger400

i dont think i would recomend a ripping chain for free hand cutting with a chain saw
ive used standard grind chain to cut lengthwise.  i usually like to use a 16 inch bar for that, but i have used a 20 inch.  Both operations will produce kick backs, this is why i like to use a 16 inch bar , less chances and a small bit more controllable. 

John Mc

Rip chains are no faster (and probably slower) than regular chains. What rip chains get you is a smoother surface when chainsaw milling. Not much advantage beyond that.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

tjdub

Quote from: shelbycharger400 on April 05, 2012, 05:00:55 PM
i dont think i would recomend a ripping chain for free hand cutting with a chain saw
ive used standard grind chain to cut lengthwise.

I've used rip chain to "split" about 100 white oak fence posts freehand.  It sure seemed to work a heck of a lot better than full chisel or skip chain for the task.  Much easier to stay straight and it seemed to clean out the long strands better.  Not much price difference, so it's at least worth a try.

barbender

Do you mean slabbing them for flat on flat construcion, or cutting a groove for scribe fit construction? I could see ripping chain for flat on flat, if it is scribe fit you want semi-chisel, full comp chain either way. Skip chain is grabby if you aren't making full depth cuts.
Too many irons in the fire

T Goodwin

I plan on scribe fitting some 6 inch diameter 8 foot long pine logs.  What would be best for a 16 inch bar...skip tooth, rip tooth, or semi-chisel?

barbender

The round corners on semi-chisel chain make it easier to "turn" when following a scribe line. Most of the log building books I have read recommended semi-chisel chain. I have never seen skip tooth chain recommended. The purpose of skip tooth chain is basically to save power when running longer bars, it is usually recommended for bars 24" and longer. Totally wrong chain for your application, you are looking for something smooth cutting and not aggresive. Call forum sponsor Bailey's, I'm sure they could help you with the right chain.
Too many irons in the fire

Thank You Sponsors!