iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Poulan Pro

Started by jargo432, March 23, 2014, 09:16:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jargo432

I see lots of listing of Poulan Pro chainsaws on (you know where) that are 50cc with 20in bar for $124.  Is this a way to get an OK or Good chainsaw for a small price or are Poulan chainsaws that much of a piece of Junk?
Jack of all trades.

sawguy21

As with most things in life you get what you pay for. These are very likely reconditioned saws that were returned to the box store because mr urban homeowner couldn't make it work or was a dud out out of the box. What are your plans for the saw? If you want a camp saw or need something for spring clean up around the yard it might be ok. If however it will see regular firewood duty or trail slashing IMHO you will be sorely disappointed. At on time Poulan had a good reputation.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Cut4fun

Who knows with redone saw. I bought 1 new shipped to my door for $165. Needed tuned out of the box. So know how to tune a saw.

EDITED BY ADMIN.

Well worth the money IMO for a homeowner saw. 

old guy

I have one I bought for $100, it is a very good saw for the money, these are quite popular.

John

luvmexfood

Bought a Pouland Pro Weedeater at a big box store a few years back when younger and not as world wary. Pull to start, set down and rest and regain wind. Pull somemore. Now I only buy from a dealer who only has a service department.

Just my opinion. Dad did have a pouland saw back in the 70s. Again hard to start but when you did watch out. Used it and it was getting worn. He bought a Remington or something. Didn't last long and the old Pouland was back on frontline again.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

Andyshine77

Most of the issues come from poor carb tuning, and simply the lack of know how when it comes to small engines. For a little firewood and yard cleanup, the little cheap Poulan saws are fine.
Andre.

Al_Smith

Most of the newer ones I've had come through are in badly in need of a carb adjustment .More times than not they are tuned too lean .Not enough to fry the engine but enough they don't run up to their full potential .

They have limiter type adjustments that can be pried off .Some have a slot and some just a pointed type spline .Although they make a screwdriver that will fit the splined gizmo you can get it with a short piece of plastic hose .

:D I've had them leave here and the owners swore I ported them which I did not .

CTYank

There are differences between current "poulan" and "poulan pro" saws. No matter, though- the "pro" label is arguable.

I've had a PP5020 for a couple of years plus. The current 50 cc. Carb was adjusted pretty close out of the box. Splined Husqy carb tool helps to keep it "happy". Have run it with the bar buried in shagbark hickory, which it handled acceptably. It's a "strato" engine, so it sips fuel and runs a long time on its little tank, not to mention it won't knock you out with its exhaust. Of course, needs a sharp chain.

It might be a bit of overkill for many homeowners, but would work well for many firewood cutters.
'72 blue Homelite 150
Echo 315, SRM-200DA
Poulan 2400, PP5020, PP4218
RedMax GZ4000, "Mac" 35 cc, Dolmar PS-6100
Husqy 576XP-AT
Tanaka 260 PF Polesaw, TBC-270PFD, ECS-3351B
Mix of mauls
Morso 7110

Al_Smith

I seriously doubt if a 50 CC Poulan will get away from any able bodied man.Now a 90 pound woman might be another story. ;)

old guy

I hope you'll note that those that posted that actually have experience with the model in question have nothing bad to say, all else is just noise

John

Al_Smith

Well of course you get a lot of noise,it's a forum . :D The saws for their intent and price range aren't as bad as some would suspect .They just don't cost 500 plus dollars .

They've cut a lot of firewood though .FWIW not all home owner types are inept idiots that don't know a spark plug from a chain file .For that matter not all pros are ace mechanics either .

jargo432

Thanks everybody!!! so here's a followup to all that...

What is the difference between the Poulan Pro and the stock model?  Usually a pro model has a decompresson valve but I didn't see one on the Poulan Pro.  I'm just wondering if there really is a difference other than putting it in a different case?
Jack of all trades.

SawTroll

Early Poulan Pro saws often were Pioneer and Partner saws, and Poulan also made some decent ones themselves.
By now it mostly is just a "name", used on saws that are not up to pro saw standards.
Information collector.

Al_Smith

Well that poses a good question .I could never figure out why say a 50 cc saw needs a decomp in the first place .Some propose it saves the starter housing but I've yet to see a starter housing go bad on one of those saws unless it met with an unfortunate accident .Like a fight with the wheel of a pick up truck .Poor saw. :(

Rockn H

The name Poulan Pro is just a name, it's not a "Pro Saw", it's a "consumer or homeowner saw".    When Husq took Poulan over they basically started a separate line of saws under the name Poulan Pro which is more a Husqvarna than the green and purple Poulan "wild things" from the Electrolux days.   When you tear into a Poulan Pro, you see more parts stamped with the Husqvarna emblem.  They still make both lines of Poulan's, and the added "Pro" helps distinguish between the two.
To your original question, I'd buy a Poulan Pro for homeowner use.  I've used them for several years.  I can't answer if I'd buy one for $124 though. 

Al_Smith

Huskey or whom ever might have tagged them that way .However just recently I worked on a little 2 something cuber designed on the same order as an S-25 only smaller and made of plastic which was not Husqvarna designed .If it was however then evidently Husky must have had their fingers in the pie during the early 70's when the S-25 first came on the scene .

Rockn H

Al, are you talking about the Poulan Pros or the regular Poulans?

SawTroll

Quote from: Rockn H on March 24, 2014, 10:49:56 AM
The name Poulan Pro is just a name, it's not a "Pro Saw", it's a "consumer or homeowner saw".    When Husq took Poulan over they basically started a separate line of saws under the name Poulan Pro which is more a Husqvarna than the green and purple Poulan "wild things" from the Electrolux days.   When you tear into a Poulan Pro, you see more parts stamped with the Husqvarna emblem.  They still make both lines of Poulan's, and the added "Pro" helps distinguish between the two.
To your original question, I'd buy a Poulan Pro for homeowner use.  I've used them for several years.  I can't answer if I'd buy one for $124 though.

The early Poulan Pro saws actually were pro saws - but that is some time ago.
Information collector.

Al_Smith

Quote from: Rockn H on March 24, 2014, 12:22:17 PM
Al, are you talking about the Poulan Pros or the regular Poulans?
What the S-25 .If it were still made today it would be considered professional saw .In it's day it was one of the best "in tree"saws of the time period .

Now that little 2 cuber quite frankly I don't remember if it had a removable cylinder or not but the layout was almost identical to the S-25 except it did not have a manual oiler button override like the S-25

Al_Smith

Say though on the subject I've got a 2.8 cube Craftsman/Poulan that I think says professional which of course it's not .Now that little rascal will get with it --for about a minute,bad seals ::)  On the to-do list which is getting longer as time marchs on .

SPIKER

I have to say there is a lot of noise on the subject.   I too have 2 poulan saws a wood shark 14" and a wild thing 18".   The 18" was bought to cut RR ties, which it did but did need a bit of adjustment out of box.   The 14" is quite a little screamer & has similar engine as the 18" but running the smaller chain sure makes dragging into a tree pretty easy.   BOTH saws usually fire up on the 3rd pull or less when warm. 

I also own a Poulan PRO interchangeable trim/poll saw.   That thing however is no where near as reliable or easy to use as the other two.   Stops running anytime the thing is raised over 45 degrees almost useless as a POLE SAW. >:(   It does work well for multi-floral rose cutting you can almost stay away from the rose thorns! 8) :o
My brother bought a 16" saw & it would not hold a tune for nothing.   after 15 years or so on the 18" I had to replace the fuel lines and did the 14" at the same time...   Only other thing has been replacing the clutch as RR ties were a bit hard on the thing  :D  Have to admit after 30 or 40 cuts in the rail road ties the chain & bar were pretty much beyond useful life expectancy.  ;)   I kept 5 gallon bucket of water and cut drop saw into bucket, cut drop into bucket...   that was when the saw was BRAND NEW first day so can't complain on that Wild Thing  ;D

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

Oliver1655

I have a 42cc with 18" bar using 3/8" chain.  Not a bad running saw but beware of bar retaining studs pulling loose when tightening the clutch cover.  I really didn't try to really tighten them, but they pulled loose anyway.  Had to replace the brake band prematurely but it could be related to the studs coming loose.

I have got another case to fix it with but it hasn't been a priority.

Unless you are planning to do a lot of cutting, there are lots of used saws for under $100 advertised all the time that will do fine.  To test them I will pull the spark plug & check compression & shine a flashlight down the hole to look for scoring on the cylinder walls in addition to seeing if it will start & run.  I carry a block of wood with me when I am actively going to look at a saw to test it with.  Most folks will balk at letting you remove the muffler to look for scoring.
John

Stihl S-08s (x2), Stihl S10 (x2), Jonsered CS2139T, Husqvarna 338XPT California, Poulan Microvibe XXV, Poulan WoodShark, Poulan Pro 42cc, McCulloch Mini-Mac 6 (x2), Van Ruder Hydraulic Tractor Chainsaw

luvmexfood

One thing I noticed years ago. When the second Bush was president he was spending time down on his ranch. Big publicity shot showed him holding a chainsaw like he was cutting brush. What kind of saw? A pouland wild thing. Don't you know that some aide had made a run to Wallyworld that morning.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

leec

Quote from: Rockn H on March 24, 2014, 10:49:56 AM

Still owned by Electrolux so their days continue.

Lee

Rockn H

Poulan was originally an independent company founded in Shreveport Louisiana.   Puolan was acquired by Emerson Electric in 1972 and later purchased by Electrolux.   In 1978 Husqvarna was purchased by Electrolux.  In 2006 Electrolux spun off Husqvarna with Poulan Pro, McCulloch,  Jonsered and several others under Husqvarna.  After Poulan was purchased in the early 70's, the plant was moved from Shreveport to Nashville Arkansas.  Husqvarna owns the plant and still makes Poulan Pro's there.  IMO...During the 80's, 90's, and later Poulan, Pioneer, Partner, Jonsered, McCulloch ( I'm sure I'm leaving out a few) ..... at one point or another have all been rebadged, renamed, and mixed together for a confusing mess at times.. 

Thank You Sponsors!