iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

sawing hard maple

Started by loggjamm, September 02, 2013, 09:43:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

loggjamm

Someone is bringing some hard(sugar)maple to saw for furniture. I believe he wants a lot of the same size boards; 1x8 1x10. I know it's better to keep turning the log, but I don't want to waste too much. How close to the pith can I saw, and still make good lumber? I was thinking 2" each side. If the pith is centered in a 4x4, can he use it for turning? Thanks.
lt40hd, jd compact tractor, clark forklift, vizsla dog.

beenthere

lj
I'd suggest sawing the log around, and moving to the good faces. Corner the log defects for getting the better furniture boards. Don't worry about the board widths other than them being a minimum (i.e. 8" ). Get the good boards off and end up with an 8" wide cant to saw through and through. Don't fret the pith location as those boards will not be good for either lumber or for turning. Keep track of your runs so your 8" wide cant is a multiple of the remaining boards, including the dog board.

You will have some control of the good lumber produced by turning to get the good faces off, but the quality in the log that he brings can't be changed. Make the best of what is there, and get paid for what you saw. For furniture, he will determine how to take out the cuttings needed after he gets the lumber dried.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

qbilder

I agree with the above. And I also agree with a 4x4 boxed heart. Hopefully your log will be large enough to work with and as defect free as possible.   
God bless our troops

red oaks lumber

the wider the board the  greater chance of cupping during drying. fyi
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

mesquite buckeye

And you end up ripping them in half before they can be planed without losing half the thickness. Argh. :(
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

WDH

And, you only have a 6" jointer  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

mesquite buckeye

Or an 8. Either way it gets tough to get them flat after that. Wish I had a 12".
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Thank You Sponsors!