iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sassafras trees for lumber

Started by REGULAR GUY, April 01, 2014, 01:46:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

REGULAR GUY

Howdy all, The weathers breaking and it's good, no grrrreat to be out again. I got a Sassafras tree, 20" dbh with about 20' of good log with little taper. Is there any good usage for this?  Thanks in advance. Regular Guy

Birchwood Logging

It makes real pretty lumber back when we used to saw we sawed some made a set of kitchen cabinets out of it for a customer I also have made musical instetments out of it a really good tone wood 
John Deere 700H with winch, John Deere 550A with winch, Cat 232 Skid Steer,Cat 262c Skid Steer, Wood Mizer Lt 40 super HD, Ford F-700 and F-600 log trucks, Ford F-450 dump truck

hackberry jake

I have used it for outdoor furniture, trailer decking, and fence posts. It is fairly rot resistant.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

NMFP

Works well for interior paneling, furniture and cabinetry.  Machines fairly easily and can often be used for drawer boxes, backer boards of cabinets and other small items depending on clarity.  Saw it up and put it out for sale.  It will sell because depending where you are, it might be rare to someone.  The only way to know what to do is try it and see what happens.

Brian C.

Lumber is on the soft side. I have built a couple of small items. It has a nice aroma as well. Easy to work with as well. Fairly straight grain.

Brad_S.

Like Brian said, very nice aroma.
Very strong grain pattern. Restorers sometimes use it as a passable chestnut substitute.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

Magicman

I have sawn much that was used as wall paneling.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Cedarman

All of our bathrooms have cabinets and trim from sassafras.  A beautiful wood.  We made thick  6" wide trim.  Recommend it.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Jimmy Mc

I is a good wood for building aircraft out of. Straight grain light and strong. I use it for the boxes on my horse buggys. When I was a kid I would build kits with Sasafras crosses.
Jimmy McIntosh, HF band mill

REGULAR GUY

Thanks all for your replays.  If I sawed it 5/4 for thickness, what would be the better length and widths for resale? Thanks again, Regular Guy

hackberry jake

8' 6" is a pretty common length. The width would be determined by log size. I would probably cut it into 4/4 and 8" wide. The rest of these boys are going to say wait for an end use so you know what size to cut.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Brad_S.

Saw for grade and don't worry about width. The log quality will dictate what the width will be.
I too would saw 4/4 (1 1/8").
I have very few people ever looking for 5/4.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

dboyt

Sounds like a lot of tea!  Good sassafras logs are hard to find.  Traditionally, sassafras was used to make canoe paddles, because it has such a good strength/weight ratio.  It is a very durable wood, and dries to a very nice honey-brown color.  I've got some quarter sawn sassafras drying that I plan to try for instrument soundboards.  It would be nice for any furniture or paneling.  I cringe to say it, but it would make great trailer decking-- almost as good as walnut.

Ooops, just noticed that this is a duplicate thread and that most of what I wrote has already been posted.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

ely

I would offer, furniture or wall boards.

Magicman

Because of it's resistance to insects and rot, it was also used as sills under buildings. 

The two longest axe hewn timbers shown here were barn sills that I recovered.

They are the closest ones here being washed.

After sizing on the sawmill,

they were used as my step risers.

For the lower as well as the upper steps.  Sassafras is good stuff.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

REGULAR GUY

I ain't been back here for awhile.  Wanted to thank all for the replays. I'll saw it to 4/4 and see what I can get for it. Thanks guys again.  Regular Guy

Tony

Made a couple of longbows out of sassafras, pretty good bow wood, too.

Can't find any trees on our place over 8" dbh, don't know why!!!

Tony  8)
TK1600, John Deere 4600 W\frontendloader, Woodmaster718 planer\moulder, Stihl MS461 Stihl 036 & 021 & Echo CS-370
"You cannot invade the mainland United States.  There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."  Adm. Isoroku Yamamotto ( Japanese

scotthelms

Also called Poor Mans Chestnut

Thank You Sponsors!