iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

cottonwood anyone?

Started by sandsawmill14, December 18, 2015, 05:14:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grandedog

Howdy,
   Anyone who's been around a dairy can appreciate that description. The first and I hope the only time I messed with cottonwood was at the Great Lakes Event in Oshkosh. As we were driving in to set up we drove past the all the band mills. We could see the stacks of red oak pipes they had. We were just starting to think that we were going to get the business ends of those red oaks. We told the folks in Algoma we wanted the biggest logs they could muster. Turned out, ours were cottonwoods. They were some wet monsters. We needed one repositioned. A guy shows up with a huge forwarder, and can't budge it. I thought he was going to dump the thing on flat ground. So he said he would be right back. He came back with a bunk of wood and moved it. Anyways, ourselves and all the band mills were in long row. We were all the way on the east end of the row of mills and the wind was coming of the lake. That day the band mills got to smell our dust too.
Regards
Gregg
Gregg Grande
Left Coast Supplies LLC
1615B South Main Street  Willits, CA 95490
888-995-7307  Ph 707-602-0141                   Fax 707-602-0134  Cell 707-354-3212
E-Mail  gregg@leftcoastsupplies.com   www.leftcoastsupplies.com

sandsawmill14

the stacker and edger man are getting behind  :D :D :D

;D
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

mart

I must be doing something wrong with my cottonwood or maybe ours in Alaska is a different variety but it dries flat and straight for me. I just moved about 1200 bf into the shop yesterday before I left for the slope so it would finish drying while I'm gone. It's been air drying for over 2 years and I was surprised to find it as flat and straight as the day I stickered it. I'm using it for cabinets in my garage.

Our birch on the other hand tends to move all over the place. It can be really difficult to get good straight, flat birch.
I was young and dumb once. I got over being young a long time ago.

LT15 w/19 hp - 24' bed
Branson 3725
Stihl MS362
Husqvarna 450

Thank You Sponsors!