iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Rear End Loader

Started by Firebass, April 30, 2009, 10:10:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firebass

I finally am getting around to finishing my bass ackwards loader for my mill rig. ;D

Just have to make the tilt linkage and paint it.  Hydraulics run from a pto of the front of the engine.   Hoping to have it done soon. 

Firebass

blame

Quote from: Firebass on April 30, 2009, 10:10:16 PM
I finally am getting around to finishing my bass ackwards loader for my mill rig.

hmm guess i have 2 questions? is that going to be the way you load your mill? if so why use a bucket why not make forks or better yet a grapple

Firebass

Grapple is next.  I am making the mounting similar to a skid steer set-up so I can use different implements.  I've been using the boom with-out the bucket for skidding and lifting logs so far,  works great but a grapple would save me from having to get out to rig up the log.  I lifted a wet 24" Diameter log 9' long.  Font tires are still on the ground but a bit light.  I think I'll adjust the relief valve so that is max lifting power.  Other wise I think it might break things :)  Overall its already very useful hopefully I wont have to shovel wood chips by hand as much. 

woodbowl

Looks good Steve. That's just too handy to have around. I can see some other things it can do like grading the driveway and pulling fence post. I guess if you have a flat tire on the back, you can jack it up right quick like. It's kinda' like having a pick up truck with a tilt bed that goes all the way to the ground. Oh my neck, we're about the same age. Let me know how that one works out.  ???
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

Firebass

I'm thinking big mirrors and maybe one or more of those they use on the front of a school bus for seeing the blind spot in front of the bus. ???  Surprisingly you can see fairly good just in the rear view mirror inside the cab.  I'll let you know about the kink in my neck after I spend a hour or two on the driveway or sawdust pile. :)

thecfarm

I like that.Good design job on the loader.looks better than the things I built.Mine stuff works,just don't look pretty.What kind of truck is that? Did you shorted up the bed on that? I could use a truck like that.I could load my firewood right on the back of it.I have a tractor,but it takes room to get it around in the woods with a trailer on the back when I need to turn around.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

woodmills1

take a look at the mirrors on chevy c4500 or 5500.  Mine are split with the top 2/3 adjustable and better than the so called west coast mirrors, and the bottem gives a view starting at the bottem of the rear tires.  I no longer kink my neck doing lane changes or passenger side back ins.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

backwoods sawyer

You may want to paint that thing red, hang a flag, or a triangle on it. DOT may not like it as a rear bumper. Keep it off road and you should be fine, any hydraulics are better then none. 
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Firebass

thecfarm,
Its made with a bunch of different rigs,  Toyota Land cruiser frame and running gear up thru the 2 speed transfercase then a Chevy 4 speed connected to a 454 chevy...Pre Government Owned..... Topped with ford ranger cab.

Woodmills1,
sounds good I'll keep my eyes open.

backwoods sawyer,
I seldom use it on pavement. I wonder if it is legal to drive as a farm tractor with a triangle on it. 
I made the whole unit so it is easy to remove for hunting season.

Dave Shepard

Is your tilt cylinder mounted like that, or just sitting on the frame?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Firebass

Quote from: Dave Shepard on May 02, 2009, 06:40:08 PM
Is your tilt cylinder mounted like that, or just sitting on the frame?
No it's not mounted.  I'm working on the linkage that will go along with it to give it the stroke it needs to fully curl the bucket. 

I could'nt stand it today and decided to go play with it by chaining up the bucket and un-chaining it to dump it.  Got my sawdust pile moved,  holes in the driveway filled,  and a few buckets of firewood.  Now I'm ready to get the curl cylinder finished. 

blame

okie

Wow, just last week I was looking at a bale spear rig thinking that something similar could be done with forks to move logs and here you done made a backwards loader. Well done 8) 8). I do'nt know how it would be illegal for you to drive on the road with that and legal for bale spears on the back of farm trucks.
Striving to create a self sustaining homestead and lifestyle for my family and myself.

Thank You Sponsors!