iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Grinder Head Angles on a TECOMEC chain saw grinder--Same grinder as Oregon 511

Started by hydro2, November 22, 2005, 05:41:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hydro2

What angle should the head on a TECOMEC chain grinder be set at for .325 chain and 3/8 chain.  I put a new chain in and lined up the motor-head andn it seems to be coming about to about 60 degrees using the new chain as a guide. 
353 Husky
Husky 372XP
030 Stihl
Mahindra 4035
Speeco Log Splitter
Hardy Outside Wood Stove

hydro2

I guesse what I am trying to ask is, I know my cutter should be filed with a hand file at 35 degrees, is that called the top plate filing angle?  Should I be setting the head (motor) angle to 60 degrees and is that called the top plate cutting angle?
353 Husky
Husky 372XP
030 Stihl
Mahindra 4035
Speeco Log Splitter
Hardy Outside Wood Stove

hydro2

353 Husky
Husky 372XP
030 Stihl
Mahindra 4035
Speeco Log Splitter
Hardy Outside Wood Stove

Dan_Shade

the grinding wheel angle should be about 60 degrees.

the 35 degree setting is the vise angle.

if your vise tilts, you may want to set it to 10 degrees for a better angle.

did that make sense? 

Welcome to the forum, our fearless (maybe fearful) leader, JeffB likes to make us talk like his friends and neighbors up there in michigan talk sometimes!
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

hydro2

Thank you so much.  I thought the cutter head should be at 60, after grinder once at 45 and once at 90 degrees.  Oh well, learn as you go.  The manuals are not the great. 
353 Husky
Husky 372XP
030 Stihl
Mahindra 4035
Speeco Log Splitter
Hardy Outside Wood Stove

rickk

If it is the same as the Oregon 511, you can get Oregon's manual on-line. I don't know if it is any different, but worth looking. I found it to be a bit confusing but sill usefull after re-reading things a couple of times.

If you either get a hard dopy (free) or download and read Oregon's bar and chain and sproket maintence booklet first the grinder settings will be less of a mystery. You can either download or order a free copy from Oregon's web site. The book is great to have, as it shows all the angles for, and how to identify all of their different chains.

Thank You Sponsors!