iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Adirondack siding?

Started by McCormack, March 24, 2005, 09:30:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McCormack

A customer needs some adirondack siding milled. I have a bevel attachment on the mill but It seems like its going to be difficult to maintain the same thickness on the thick edge. Because as I saw, The flitches will get wider and the thick edge will get thicker. Can anyone tell me how to saw this stuff?

Ironwood

Sorry I have no picture to show you. Saw the stuff at full thickness 3/4 or 4/4. You want one natural edge. Try to keep the run out  down the lenth of the board to a minimum ( 1x6 all the way, not 1x4 at this end and 1x10 at the other) for bonus points. They will need to start the bottom course with a furring strip at the bottom to begin the angling of the full dimension. I put 3x4 corner boards to cover the ends of the siding, and the same around the windows. I used stainless fasteners exclusively and all were hidden, toe screwed the corner and window 3x4's, and fastened the siding under the lap. So far 5 years i have not had to fasten the faces of the boards. I also used string to keep the bottom edges in the same plane as they went across the face of the house and wrapped the corners. I put a small router groove at the junction of the siding and edge boards to have the caulk lay in a gap instead of onthe surface. The Adirondack, Flitch, Brainstorm, siding (as it is known regionally) can be done very nicely. I can e-mail pics if you like.

Reid
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Thank You Sponsors!