iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cold/hot weather covers

Started by Air Lad, February 11, 2019, 04:57:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Air Lad

Noticed after looking at a mates 029 that it has some things that my 039 doesn't
Mine has the plastic rear slide in cover that has mesh on one side and blanked out plastic on the other (like a piece of angle iron).
His has a piece of rubber ring around the spark plug and a flap that slides into a keeper.
Then I look at the 260c and can see there are some things missing as well
Could someone explain what I need for  036 and 260c for hot conditions 
Looking at 40 C on wednsday...104 to you guys

lxskllr

Looking online, I found this in the Stihl manuals. It's the same for both saws...

Honestly, I find Stihl's setup confusing with regards to manual pics, and iconography on the saw, but if you compare the pics with what's on the saw, the gist is you want to block hot air from getting to the carb. If you're missing the pieces that block hot air, you may be able to make your own out of plastic, or just use something like duct tape. The Stihl manuals are available on their website.

edit:
BTW, if you want my personal recommendation for cutting in those temps...

Take your saw, and put it on the front seat of your car. Drive to the nearest pub and carry the saw inside. Place it on the barstool next to you, and have a beer. Repeat until the weather's reasonable for cutting wood  ;^)

HolmenTree

It's a Stihl it will work fine in 40C/105f heat. Just make sure the airbox shutter is closed so no heat gets back to the carb.
Make sure the air filter and cylinder fins are clean . Same with the spark arrestor screen in the muffler.
Removing the rear cover so the air filter is out in the open may help too.
Run 32:1 or 40:1 fuel mix.
Sharp chain always.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Air Lad

Thanks for the help blokes
It makes sense now
Probably won't be running them on Wednesday but
the instructions said temps over 20 deg C use the covers
I have been using 40/1 semi synthetic with a fuel additive in 
non ethanol 91 with no issues
Cut a fair few rings to help a mate on Saturday and it
 wasn't 40 but it was still hot.
Cheers

Thank You Sponsors!