iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Price of a load of pine logs

Started by Arkyrick, November 02, 2020, 06:15:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arkyrick

can someone give me an idea of what I should expect to pay for a truck load of pine logs in Arkansas? 
LT 35 hydraulic portable "73"Ford 335 tractor - lots of chains

richhiway

White Pine around here (NY) is bringing 2 to $250.00 a thousand delivered to the mill. Here is a price list from VT.
http://northeasttimberexchange.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/NTE-Saw-Logs-Prices-and-Specs-OCT-15-2020.pdf

You should be able to google timber prices and find a list in your area.
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

Southside

Lot of factors can come into play with that question.  How far are they coming from?  What grade and size are you looking for? How wet are things right now?  Are the competing mills full or hungry?  

Around here right now $42ish / ton will get you OK SYP logs, nothing spectacular, but decent.  Clear 4 sides with tight rings will be in the $60 range.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

GAB

Quote from: Southside on November 02, 2020, 09:03:46 PM
Lot of factors can come into play with that question.  How far are they coming from?  What grade and size are you looking for? How wet are things right now?  Are the competing mills full or hungry?  

Around here right now $42ish / ton will get you OK SYP logs, nothing spectacular, but decent.  Clear 4 sides with tight rings will be in the $60 range.  
Mr. Southside:
I see where going by the ton can reduce scaling errors big time.  However is there a scale or magic formula 
you can use to go from tons to board footage based on the number of logs and lengths of logs?
I would think that a one ton log would have more lumber in it than five 400 pounders with all six log being the same length.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

LeeB

Quote from: Texas Ranger on November 02, 2020, 09:09:54 PM
Arkansas Timber Price Report
Don,
I believe the prices in the linked report are for stumpage, or at least I have never been able to find any different in it.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

barbender

GAB, if you know the green weight of the wood per cord, you can convert it. Red Pine up here is 4800 pounds per cord average, although nice older age logs probably are closer to 5000. A cord is 500 bf roughly, so 10,000 pounds per MBF. Or said another way 5 ton per MBF. I just paid $300/MBF for a load of Red Pine logs. So, I think that makes $60 per ton. As you can see, my math is kind of like taking the "scenic route" but I get there eventually😂
Too many irons in the fire

Southside

Well the answer - at least when it comes to SYP - is that "it depends".  You are correct that yield from the single log will likely be higher in terms of recovered BF, and especially clear lumber as an overall percentage, which is part of the reason grades are divided up by diameter as well as clear sides.  

SYP does something funny, at some point along the way while growing up, the portion of the log that would one day in the future become actual "heart pine" starts to become quite a bit less dense, almost like the tree is creating a vacant place to put away all of the toxic garbage when it becomes necessary.  Seems like this happens in 30+ year old trees.  It will involve the juvenile wood and some of that around it.  Get into 60 year old trees and you will being to see some actual heart wood develop in this area, not much, but some.  This void area - for lack of a better word - is noticeable lighter when you grab a board.  Once the heart shows up in it however it becomes just the opposite, noticeably heavier as the space is filled with resin. 

What I am getting at is this phenomenon will impact the weight / BF ratio of logs as they "mature" so any real magic formula would somehow have to account for the age range of the logs too.  There are metrics to average the ton / BF, but it's not an exact science for sure.  

For my area BF prices would be in the $250 - $360 MBF range for the logs I was talking about above.  Most outfits want to sell pine logs by the ton these days, some small guys are comfortable with stick scale, but the big outfits only understand ton and don't want anything else - which is FINE by me and I am happy to buy the grade logs I buy by the ton all day long - for the reasons I explained above.    
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

WDH

Timber market in Georgia all by the ton.  No scaling.  5 tons per MBF is a DanG good rule of thumb for sawing SYP on a band mill. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Texas Ranger

Quote from: LeeB on November 02, 2020, 09:59:20 PM
Quote from: Texas Ranger on November 02, 2020, 09:09:54 PM
Arkansas Timber Price Report
Don,
I believe the prices in the linked report are for stumpage, or at least I have never been able to find any different in it.
yep, but about the only source for a moderately fair price for timber.  Conversion is available.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

GAB

Barbender, Southside, & WDH:
Thank you for the replies.
After I posted in this thread last night I got to thinking, (I know bad thing).
Pulled out my machinery's handbook and on page 1891 the first listing for SYP says 53#/cuft.
Then did some ciphering while making some assumptions and roundings off.
Assumed the mean diameter the entire length of the log.
Did not discount for the bark.
Used the Int'l 1/4 scale and interpolated.
Came up with:
A 2000# log @ 10' long has 37.736 cuft or ~312 bdft.
Five 400# logs @10' long have 7.547 cuft each for a total of ~ 262.5 bdft.
262.5/312=~ 84%
My conclusion based on my math (please note: when I went to school new math had not been thought of yet) 
for the same $/ton buy the larger logs as you will have a better yield.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Arkyrick

Great info and many different scenarios what does MBF stand for? 

Arkyrick

WDH

Gerald,

You are right on.  There are more bf in a single log weighing 5000 pounds that in 20 logs each weighing 250 pounds. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Yes, the Roman numeral M = 1000.  There is no Roman numeral for a million so MM is commonly used.  

Actually MM seems to be my favorite number.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

barbender

MMnMMnMMnMM is Donald Trump saying, "millions and millions and millions and..."😁
Too many irons in the fire

Arkyrick

Ive been sawing since 08 but have never ever had to buy logs so please understand my ignorance. Where do I start who do I call about purchasing a load of logs?

mike_belben

Anyone in the log business would be a lead.  Loggers, sawmills and equipment dealers are all gonna have industry contacts for you to start calling.  

Hey im so and so over in such and such location, im looking to buy a load of xyz and shopping around for a supplier, can you refer me to anyone? 

You can also put up a little paper ad at the cash register wherever these guys might be.  Saw shop for example. Wanted- pine sawlogs. Call me @...
Praise The Lord

LeeB

There is a mill in Clinton and another in Morning Star. Both do a fair volume of logs. I'm sure there are others closer to you.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

WDH

It will be difficult to convince a logger to haul you a tractor trailer load of logs unless you have the equipment to unload a truck quickly and efficiently. 

WV Sawmiller

Arky,

I would also check with my local Forestry Dept and maybe your USDA folks. The forestry people may have a list of approved loggers who have passed whatever certification requirements your state has. The USDA folks may point you to some big local landowners with woodlots who might be interested. If there is a local college with a forestry program they may know of/suggest sources as a way to help their alumni.

Are you able to transport logs if required? Are you mobile and could you saw on a landowners site and transport the lumber if required?

I backed into a source for logs a few weeks ago. I got a mobile call as a result of a demo/workshop I did for our local Forestry and USDA folks over a year ago. While sawing the customer asked me if I knew of anyone who wanted some poplar. He has 390 acres and lots of it is woods and he has poplar and maybe some oak he will sell. That night another customer called wanting poplar so I worked a deal with my sawing customer/landowner to fill the lumber buyer order. When we finished the sawing order he pulled up another few logs and we sawed the lumber customer 's order and he came and picked it up there. Basically the landowner provided the logs, MHE and helper labor to saw the lumber. I sawed the logs and paid him for the lumber. The landowner got the lumber price, I got a premium sawing fee and the lumber buyer got his lumber in short order. I may use him in the future as this worked well for all of us especially since I was already set up on site. In the future we have to work out the 25 mile trip and I have to decide whether to bring the logs here to saw them or take the mill to his place then have the buyer pick up the lumber there like we did this time. We need to work through those issues.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Southside

It can be an odd game.  I pay $15 more per ton than a mega mill 15 miles west of me for grade logs, and I can unload a semi in 20 minutes or less, no issue getting a truck in - but the other mill will also buy chip-n-saw and with prices being low all the guys in this area are up against it cash flow wise so they cut more wood and won't sort it.  Just toss it onto the truck and floor it to get to the mill, rinse and repeat.  

In an ironic twist I have had to fire back up my logging equipment and harvest some of my own timber.  I say ironic because I am swamped on the mill side of things and don't have enough time or help there and now I need to be in the woods too.  Oh well - better profit margin and it's land I wanted to open up anyway are the up sides.    
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

Arkyrick

Great info guys Thanks and yes I can unload a truck👍👍👍

Trackerbuddy

When I've compared stumpage prices with delivered saw logs it appeared the difference was about $100/mbf. That's $20/ton delivered

Thank You Sponsors!