iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sloppy day

Started by Jeff, November 25, 2020, 10:54:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

5" of snow, now rain all day got me to go in the polebarn and get a task taken care of. Converting my 6volt 8N to 12v so I have a dependable starting tractor this winter.

Don't know why I'd been putting it off. Ive had the kit for months. If I had to do it again,  I could do it in a 3rd the time now.  :) it was actually an enjoyable job.

8n startup after 12v conversion. - YouTube

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

SwampDonkey

You da man! smiley_clapping
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

celliott

My brother converted his Farmall H this summer. Said, why the heck didn't I do this sooner?
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

ellmoe

My first car was a "hand me down "  '63  Volkswagen beetle with a 40 hp gas engine. For the people that remember catalogs and Sears & Roebuk ( sp? ) , you could order complete engines and many other parts from their catalog. Anyway , the car had a 6 volt system and a generator. The car always started , no problems there , however , vehicle inspections were a headache. Between the 6 volts and a generator, instead of an alternator, the headlights just could not meet the minimum brightness needed to pass the inspections . No matter how fast my 16 year old self would rev the little engine while we sat in the inspection bay it would never reach the minimum illumination required . I'd sit in the car staring at the big circular dial with the minimum illumination marked with a big red line .No matter how hard I pushed on the foot throttle and willed the lights to get a little brighter , the indicator hand would just barely approach the minimum. Fortunately , in those days , you could go from inspection station to inspection station till you could find a sympathetic inspector  He  would shake his head , look at me , I'd shrug my shoulders and look at him. He'd look at me  , shake his head again , shrug his shoulders and pass me through. Ah , the joys of youth and poverty! I wish I still had that bug , but I'm happy to have 12 volts! 
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

Wood Shed

My tractors are a mixture of six and twelve volt models but all have generators.  I have found that a 6V system will perform as expected when all else is near perfect, meaning good 00 cables with clean connections and generator that will charge a good battery.  In my experience keeping a generator charging is the challenge not the voltage but your 12V system with alternator is a much better system on tractors that operate at full throttle most of the time.  

Jeff, your alternator looks brand new or at least very clean.  My old green tractors will barely spin an alternator fast enough to keep a battery charged especially on parade tractors.
A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in." -Greek Proverb

Jeff

The newer generation 1 wire delco alternators only need 600 rpm to charge. I bought the entire kit from yesterdays tractor a few months ago for $150.  Alternator, brackets, new wire harness and resister, which I did not use because I switched out the coil with a 12v one I got from @Harold .  

Usually when I need a tractor in the winter here in Michigan it's cucu co-weld and this should help.

Corley5

That's the same kit we put on our 8N this fall.  Makes a big difference  8) 8) 8)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Southside

Nice job.  Personally I prefer my tractors not have spark plugs, but I love the wall coverings behind the tractor!!  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Tom King

.....and power steering.

I did a lot of work with my 8N though.  I sold it to a girl with an even older manure spreader behind it.  As far as I know, she's still using it.

barbender

I was digging on Jeff's wallcoverings, too! 😁
Too many irons in the fire

Jeff

chet

Jeff you'll hafta be a little more judicious with the choke this winter. The 8N will flood much quicker spinning over faster.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

hedgerow

Those 12V conversions on those 8N's really make a nice set up. I have changed a bunch of 6 volt tractors over to 12V in the last forty plus years. 

Jeff

I've got an issue I have to figure out. I'm thinking it may be a starter button. The solenoid keeps kicking in and out if the engine fails to fire and the key is on. It looks like engine run on when it does it. I can't imagine how ekse it could stay energized. 

chet

Sounds like it my be the starter bendix. A weaker bendix will show up quicker when you are spinning it over faster with 12 volts as opposed to 6 volts. Can you get a video with sound, it would be easier to tell if that's it.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Jeff

It was a wire wrong on the key switch.  So I get that right, put the tools away, and now it spits and sputters when you try to give it throttle. Starts instantly.

Tacotodd

Remember your 3 legged stool: spark, fuel, compression!

They have to be the right amount and right time to work, on any internal spark combustion engine engine.
Diesel is only slightly different.
Trying harder everyday.

Jeff

It ran fine until now. Im wondering if the 12v ate the points. I swithed out the 6v coil for a 12v system so I didnt have to use the resistor. Perhaps the poins and condenser failed?

Tacotodd

It's possible, but I'm not leaning that direction. 

How long of time between 6V run and 12V run? If any time more than 6mo, I'd be fuel suspect, starting right up or not.

What's your current compression numbers? I've seen good start and run on 120#, just not GREAT power. 

My first vehicle, 74 IH pickup and being a teenager, I hot-rodded that thing. It's a tractor that's interstate legal    :-X
Anyway, its point ignition never gave me BIG problems, but a few. Check the integrity and gap. Condensers are like extremely short term, high voltage (very low amperage) batteries. Replace both if in doubt. ~20 bucks for both at most NAPA. I'm not trying to promote them, that's just where I cut teeth on selling parts, I sold & found LOTS of tractor parts there. 

I'm thinking carburetor internal problem, but I'm not there, hard to tell.
Trying harder everyday.

chet

Is that an early 8n with front mount dist or later with side mount. If it is side mount, is da round can coil you installed internally resisted or not. I'm not positive but pretty sure all the 12 volt top mount coils are externally resisted.

Tacotodd

Yeah, if you run no-resistor coil, you'll need a resistor wire in your system. The coils I sold told you on the coil themselves if they were or not. 

The more I think on it with my personal experience, fuel related. 

Like a chainsaw, filter, lines. Most likely something basic and small. The stuff that drives you crazy!

How's your voltage resistance on the wires?
Trying harder everyday.

Jeff

It is a very old coil. Most likely, non resisted. Fuel is good. Changed the condenser,  the points look okay. It us now backfiring if I try to throttle up. Starts instantly , sits and idles nice.

Magicman

My old 12 volt Ford cars had resistors.  They cranked on 12v and ran (through the resistor) on 6v.  If it cranked and then died immediately when you released the key, you knew that the resistor was open.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Tacotodd

Use a 12V internal resistor coil and be done with that part, it won't hurt.
Trying harder everyday.

Thank You Sponsors!