Sponsors:

Sloppy day

Started by Jeff, November 25, 2020, 10:54:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jb616

Quote from: Jeff on December 03, 2020, 11:31:28 AM
This is the way it is acting.

12 volt conversion issues - YouTube
Not sure it is related but is that an ammeter there on the dash, notice that it goes all wonky when it was misfiring?  I believe that the meter is part of the circuit and could be intermittently working / not working and causing the misfiring??

Jeff

This afternoon I installed the electronic ignition with a flame thrower coil.

Shazam! :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Andries

The Ford loader that I have, has a Perkins motor that is plumbed for an air intake flame thrower.
Shazam! . . . that means holy moly, that makes a big difference, right?
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Jeff

Andries

I like that.
How do those Super Heroes like the Michigan winter? Those tights must have electro-heaters built into 'em.
Or, maybe you installed one of these in your Ford . . .
HOW THE FLAME HEATER WORKS ON A PERKINS DIESEL - YouTube 
HOT little item. 
Someone who knows what a real winter is like musta dreamed this up.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Jeff

ha! This guy ain't adjusting to the cold as easily this year. I lost my thermal barrier.

Andries

BTW, congratulations on losing a lot of that insulation.
It's a good look on ya.
You'll look like a lean mean loggin' machine when you get that tractor out in the woods.  8)
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Tacotodd

You also won't have as much to keep it in in the summer. I know because in 2yr time I went from 290 to 190 without trying (you DON'T want to lose it the same way) 
Trying harder everyday.

Jeff

jb616

Love it when they fire right up and purrrr... Merry Christmas!!

chet

I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

jb616

@chet is that a regular cartridge...or is made for the tractor without shot...I would hate to go through a box of shells on a sloppy cold morning if it didn't want to fire :) 

thecfarm

There Jeff, that sounds good. Yea those 6 volt tractors turn over slow, real slow when it's cold. My father never used his much when it was cold. Only a few times to get some wood out. Most winters it sat covered in snow.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

chet

Quote from: jb616 on December 20, 2020, 10:47:12 AM
@chet is that a regular cartridge...or is made for the tractor without shot...I would hate to go through a box of shells on a sloppy cold morning if it didn't want to fire :)
They use 12 Gauge blanks
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

doc henderson

I remember seeing and old movie about an airplane in the desert, and it used a charge to fire the engine. 
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Jeff

Jimmy stewart. Flight of the Phoenix.  One of my most favorite movies.

SwampDonkey

Just watched it not long ago. Have seen it many times, but a few years go by and it's like a new movie. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

chet

Andries

Chet, those are terrific videos of the shot shell starters.
Are you hinting that Jeff needs to take a shotgun to his 8N tractor?
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

mike_belben

Sorry im late to the show here.  Glad it sorted itself out.  My experience with pertronix has not been good.  I switched to a full drop in distributor [about $300] because there are no longer any available rebuilt motorcraft or bosch distributors left for the ford kent industrials (ford spec'd unhardened shafts so they all wore out and no one makes new.)  

Anyways i think i bought 3 more ignitors at over $100 each in about 2 years. six hundred neat-o dollars and endless cursing.    And in the process found out there are two experiences were pertronix.  Excellent and terrible.   Some never have one fail and others never have one last.  Yes, they run flawless while they run but are very easy to kill.  There are much cheaper electronic modules out there, pertonix is just good at marketing them.  Their technicians will tell you to do things that are opposite of what their literature says and in either case if it fails again youll still be the one to blame.  

After talking to several ignition builders in several countries i finally gave up on it and managed to find a lucas part number for a ford lotus breaker plate that dropped into the pertronix distributor which is based on a lucas 25D.  So now im back to maintaining breaker points and contemplating a diesel.  

Anyways sorry for rambling as always.  Jeff i think your alternator voltage regulator may have an issue.  If im not mistaken it should be clipping off at 14.7vdc and i bet you are maybe even seeing 3 phase AC voltage coming straight off the winding somehow.  Normally a bridge rectifier clips the negative alternations off.  It may have an intermittent chassis ground.. Im not the best to ask on that but a high voltage like that will eat up your points and cause all sort of backfiring and cylinders dropping off.  Like the other guys said you want a 12v crank and 6v run.  Ballast resistors are all different resistences to tailor this and you gotta add the coils resistance too.  Take your running battery voltage of 12.xx and divide by 2.xx to get your target 6v run voltage.  The cumumative resistance in the circuit needs to be the 2.xx number.  

The terminals in your distributor cap will probably need sanded pretty often too in my experience.  
Praise The Lord

Jeff

Tractor number 2, the 49 was towed in day before yesterday and will drive out today. I rewired it because who ever did the 12volt conversion on it looks like he was the same guy that created the cluster on our mustang.  
Wiring straightened out, adjusted points, cleaned the plugs and a new balast resistor, and a carb adjustment. Also fixed an exaust leak.  Before and after on the wiring.

btulloh

Nice.  Looks to be in pretty good shape.  Nice job on the wiring.  Seems like it'd be hard to make a mess out the wiring when there's only about 6 wires on the whole tractor, but I guess the guy must have been good at ratsnests.

Mine's a 49.  I don't love the front-mount distributor, but it doesn't give me any real trouble, so I don't notice most of the time.

Is this tractor now part of your fleet Jeff?  There's no such thing as too many tractors!
HM126

Jeff

I got both tractors about 4 years ago in a swap. I hope to get them both into dependable shape. One for here and one to perhaps to leave at my sister's cabin rather that hauling one back and forth.

Walnut Beast

My kinda shop. Easy chair and table. Sometimes need to relax and get the visions of the project 

Jeff

Pigroast central it is!

Thank You Sponsors!