iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Newby Starting Out

Started by AaronCarter11, November 01, 2020, 01:18:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AaronCarter11

Hey everyone! I am Aaron Carter. I am currently in the process of purchasing a Norwood LumberMate LM229v2. I have obtained 5 acres of land, a 40 foot sea can I am turning into a kiln and a office shack. I have logs lined up to be delivered. I am Currently looking into insurance. I was wondering if anyone had any tips or tricks to get started. Permits and all that info would be great! I am in alberta canada. The lumber we are making is going to be purchased and used for commercial job's. Thank you in advance!

WV Sawmiller

Congratulations and welcome to the FF. I don't know what Canada's regs are but when I started I called our state tax people and got the skinny on sales tax collection requirements and reporting. I called our DMV to check on tagging my mill since I am mobile. I applied on line and got my federal ID then went to the next county seat and got my state business license. I assume you have similar agencies to those in Canada. If you have a small business administration or equivalent you might talk with them. If you have an accountant or tax preparer I would talk to them - I sent a list of questions to mine and got answers before starting. Do you have a Website? Jeff here on the FF has done them for several folks and may be able to help. Do you have a source for your logs? A market for your lumber? Do you have a plan for what type and sizes of lumber to cut? How is your storage - logs and lumber take up a lot of space and you need plenty of room for transport and loading equipment to get them in and out. I checked with local insurance agents till I found one who could get me the liability insurance I needed and she got me a quote on property (ask for Inland Marine insurance) but I decided to self insure that phase of my operation. You might talk with your local government agriculture and forestry people to make sure you will be in compliance and they may have programs to help you get started on points of contact useful to you.

Good luck.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

K-Guy

@AaronCarter11 
Welcome from an expat Albertan!! ;D

If you have an insurance company that insures machinery as a specialty close by, check with them. I would also ask a couple logging companies who insures there equipment ie skidders, logger bunchers, etc.
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

Thank You Sponsors!