Sponsors:

Maple Syrup 2024

Started by Chuck White, January 08, 2024, 08:49:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Pretty decent collection on 25 taps.  :thumbsup:
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Chuck White

We've had a warm spell here for a while, when that started we pulled all of the lines out of the barrels, assuming that was the end of sugaring 2024.

It got real cold yesterday and this morning we had just 2 degrees and it warmed up to 35 degrees this afternoon, so we put the lines back in the barrels, since the forecast for the coming week is up in the mid 50's, and we're hoping for at least one more good run before it's over!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

SwampDonkey

Wow, that's a cold dip. We were predicted to get there this morning, but the gauge says 18°F here. Suppose to be in the upper 30's this afternoon. I haven't seen 50's all month and none showing in the week ahead. Suppose to be snow/rain mix here for most of the week. It was like that 4 days last week, then the big snow bomb.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Chuck White

Well, our "expected run" didn't amount to much, so we just proceeded to pull the lines out of the barrels again and haul the barrels to the sugarhouse for cleaning and storage!

We'll go up again this morning and flush the lines and sanitize the spouts, after that we're done for the season!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Chuck White

We got a little over 1/3 of the taps and mainlines done today, we'll give it another try on Saturday and will probably finish!

On a happy note, being a no-boiling year for us, we've already got next years firewood sitting in the woodshed!   :thumbsup:

Stephen1

We dropped to below freezing for 8 days, Winter was back with a vengeance,  a week ago and then we went above freezing last Monday, gushed  for 3 days and then we had a couple of good days and more sap. It finally slowed down last night and we have caught up, only just above freezing here today so a very slow run. Looks good for the next 3 days and then we should be done. We are over 200 litres, (close to a quart) for  my southern friends. We are still boiling today and will empty and clean  the evaporator tonight, and are guessing we have 40 liners in the pans. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Chuck White

We finished up with the sap lines yesterday about mid-afternoon.

In a few days they should be airdried enough to go back and put the spouts in their appropriate cups until maple 2025 season.

Our production is less than 1/3 of our normal, good thing we are not dependent on the market!

Can't help but wonder how @celliott is doing, over in Vermont!

They are a very large outfit, but I do believe "everyone" is down in production this year due to the whacky weather!

Old Greenhorn

I haven't seen anyone mention it yet so I have to ask: What you you sugar guys seeing for sugar concentrations in your sap this year as compared to in the past? I don't not collect and boil, but there is a branch of my family in VT that has done so for 4 generations and it is still part of some family incomes. I won't be able to sit and talk with them about it until July or so. 
 I keep a very close eye on the winter weather and trends because it affects many mushroom logging and when I can cut. This year has been terrible for me and all I could think was with the lack of any long-term hard freezes in most areas, this had to be a terrible year for the sugar folks and I am wondering if sugar content in the sap that was collected was also lower quality, meaning more boiling and RO work?
 They didn't have RO's back in the 30's and 40's and they (my family) still used wood, then galvanized buckets, A big wood tank mounted on a sledge with a pair of horses to pull it. They had no plastic spiles, or tubing or vacuum lines. I wonder if a season like this might have put them out of business. 
 I don't know why, but it's been on my mind the last 2 months. I hope y'all come through this OK, and yeah, Celliott has been on my mind too.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Chuck White

We have only sap lines, no buckets!

Our lines are all gravity flow, no vacuum, so from end to end each line is on a long slant with the line going into a plastic barrel at the lower end!

Surprisingly the sugar content was good this season, our highest was 2.3 and the lowest was 1.6 percent!

Plankton

It has been a very funky season here really warm. We have been tight all season and the lowest our sugar got was 1.5 late february i think. It ran for 7 days and 8 nights non stop so the sugar was bound to drop. Were back up to 1.7 and clear sap still making amber rich syrup. Started at 2 for the first few weeks.

Jeff

Thought this would be a good place to share my U.P. neighbor's sugarbush.  The lumber was sawn out on my mill this last year out of trees cut down by the powerline company 2 years ago that crosses our properties. Also other reclaimed parts to make a nice shelter.

The evaporator came from @upnut who sold it to Gary a year ago.  ffsmiley

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

beenthere

Jeff
Looks like a good time with a neighbor. 
Reminds me of the time member nailhead (RIP) was setting up a planned visit to his sugar bush Spring 2008 in the UP. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

upnut

Does my heart good to see it up and running again! Thanks for the pics....

Scott B.
I did not fall, there was a GRAVITY SURGE!

Jeff

Quote from: beenthere on March 31, 2024, 04:44:00 PMJeff
Looks like a good time with a neighbor.
Reminds me of the time member nailhead (RIP) was setting up a planned visit to his sugar bush Spring 2008 in the UP.
I've not been able to actually visit the sugarbush due to having been sick for 3 weeks. I seem to be over the hump, but just not right.  We went up to do some cabin chores, but I let everyone up there know, i was not dragging something up to them. Deb still dared the odds and brought us a jar of syrup. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

SwampDonkey

I had a bad one last summer, no strength at all. Had to take off 3 weeks of work.

Spring has sprung with a vengeance up here with constant wet weather events days long, but we are starting the wood shop this morning.  ffcool

Have not seen much boiling going on. When you ask a hobby farmer around here if the sap is running well, you get told it's running. But running is expected no matter how rough it is, but at what output? :D Most big operators will say it's not a great year. :D Pretty sure Quebec said production is way down. That's significant because they out produce everyone else combined.

cutterboy

A local syrup producer taps trees on my sister's land across from me. He pulled his taps a week ago. He said he got about a half a crop. He uses tubing but hangs buckets on the trees in front of the house just because it looks nice.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Stephen1

We are all done, boiled the last of the sap on Monday. 
The trees budded, and sap had turned and we made about 10 litres of BBQ syrup. Has a very strong taste. 
I would say we had an okay year for syrup, but we added more trees to vacuum than previous years. it definitely was the earliest we had ever boiled, end of February. Actually I boiled on Feb 29, 1st time ever and the weather was beautiful, like warm April weather. 
We will start wash up this Sunday, clean the lines and tanks. All our lines stay on the trees.
We flush with water and then put alcohol in each tap and seal with special caps to seal the system.
What does everyone else do with their lines?
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

SwampDonkey

First wagon of sap I have seen go to my cousin's sugar shack was yesterday. I've not seen a boil today yet.

Plankton

Boiled everyday for the last week got a bunch of wet snow and another freeze up today. Pretty sure we wont see another good run after this though. Sap has not gone buddy and syrup flavor is still good. Tap holes are starting to dry up though.

On dealing with lines at the end of the year we pull them with the vacuum on thats it. Were not running stubbys so snip the spouts and plug into the tees nice and tight to facilitate fall vacuum walking next year.

peakbagger

Quote from: SwampDonkey on April 01, 2024, 04:02:31 AMHave not seen much boiling going on. When you ask a hobby farmer around here if the sap is running well, you get told it's running. But running is expected no matter how rough it is, but at what output? :D Most big operators will say it's not a great year. :D Pretty sure Quebec said production is way down. That's significant because they out produce everyone else combined.
Strategic reserve nearing empty in Quebec | Sap & Syrup | The Maple News

Big_eddy

We were done boiling Monday. I still have pails of syrup that need final filtering and bottling and our buckets are still hanging, but it's been wet snow for two days so they can stay out a few more days. I don't have a final tally yet, but overall I think it was a decent season. Will know more when the filtering and bottling is done. 

Big_eddy

Linked Quebec report was from last November. Haven't heard how this season went yet

SwampDonkey

Last year the NB crop was down by 1 million pounds, normally 3 million pounds. A drop in the proverbial bucket as they say. Quebec buys most of the syrup we make in NB if I'm not mistaken.

Thank You Sponsors!