iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Porch Decking & Overloaded Trailer

Started by Magicman, March 13, 2024, 05:15:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Today I needed to get 90 pressure treated 2X6X12's and guess where my 18' trailer was??  Yup, loaded with a grandson's metal roofing so.....
IMG_5342.JPG
All that I had was my 10' single axle trailer.  Loading it with 1080 bf of dripping wet freshly treated SYP was a sorta struggle, but with two fork lifts, they got-r-done.

IMG_5343.JPG
Kinda like a 10 pound load in a 6 pound trailer, but since I only had to go 2 miles, I took it slow and easy.IMG_5344.JPG
I made the trip home and have it stacked.

Sadly the lumber quality has dropped off quite a bit.  It is obvious that the sawmills are sawing some of the beetle killed Pines because there are some black dead knotholes that I have not seen in the past.  This will be porch decking so I will deal with the lumber quality as I get to it. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sprucebunny

I was going to use 2x6s when I redid my porch last year ( 16 OC joists; some doubled because of over zealous nailing as originally built with 2x6s) but the wood quality of 5/4x6 was so much better that I used that. It shrank a bunch widthwise but that's ok. No knots, no twists, weighs less.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Magicman

I opted to go with the 2X6's because I could get them at the same price as the 5/4X6's.  It was my error that I did not think to compare the face quality.  Never even though about it because I have never seen poorer face quality before.  

I have what I have and I will look at options to dress them up a bit.  There are very few open knotholes.  It is obvious that they are mixing in a few beetle killed trees/logs.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SawyerTed

I redid our porch flooring 2 or 3 years ago.  Rather than deal with the loading and unloading, tarliering etc., I had the 5/4x6x16' deck boards delivered.  Delivery was free and the driver placed it where I needed it using the Moffitt forklift. 

On the front porch which faces due South, the 5/4 boards dried out and left a bigger space than on the North side of the house.  
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

caveman

MM, I get roused all the time for hauling loads too heavy on my trailers.  I'm glad you got it home without issue.  The last several decks that I've built with freshly treated wood, I spaced with the nails that were going to hold them down.  After they dried, the spacing seemed appropriate, maybe 3/8".

I wish I could get some of the freshly beetle killed pine reasonably delivered here.  I'm trying to buy my first ever delivered logs and the guy I'm dealing with wants to saw at 20' because 16' 6" is too much cutting.  He'll only be hauling 4-5 miles.  I may ask what he'll charge if we fell the trees, buck and he loads and we haul, but the main reason we bought the telehandler is to be able to quickly unload trailers of DELIVERED logs.

DanG, that is a load on that little trailer.  I had to go back and take another look.  Your axle may have a bit of a smiley face from now on.  

Caveman

Magicman

I will be full speed ahead for the next several days removing the rotten 5/4X6's and installing this.  I have no idea yet about what railing (design) that I will use.  The old railing that I liked was full 4X4, 2X4, & 2X2.  My problem is that I do not have any White Oak to saw them from.  I am having a Post Oak removed but it is so wet that I do not know when.  Just a slight dilemma. 

Ianab

My little trailer has a fold down / removable front gate, as well as the back. So when loading up long boards you can hopefully get them centred up just in front of the axle, and keep some weight on the hitch. I'd still be a little overloaded, but it would tow OK without the tail dragging. The lighter trailers seem to keep that fixed front as it gives them a bit more rigidity. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Magicman

Quote from: SawyerTed on March 13, 2024, 08:57:05 PMDelivery was free and the driver placed it where I needed it using the Moffitt forklift.
I woke up from a deep slumber/brain fart when I read that.  :shocked2:  I am so used to doing everything myself, for myself, and by myself, that delivery never crossed my mind.  Free delivery was available and they would have unloaded and spotted the lumber with the piggyback fork lift.  duh  :uhoh:

My plan is to remove about 10 old boards and then backfill behind me as I work across each of the three porch sections.  I found out yesterday that it is easier to clip the 3 1/2" twist shank nails with the "sawzall" than to pull them.  I'll go back with 12d galvanized "air" nails.

SawyerTed

Even to orange box store delivers for $75.  I figure it takes at least 3 hours to hookup the trailer, drive there, load the cart, check out, load the trailer, drive home unload etc.  I can do something productive during that time like make money with the sawmill. 

Then there's all that lumber handling!   ffcheesy
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

doc henderson

my Bostitch air nailer will drive ring shank, if you can find them.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Magicman

I showed a couple of pictures of my porch/deck project on another topic so in order to keep this topic on track I will add them here:
DSCN0264
This is a three tiered arrangement so that...

DSCN0263
The "ground" steps are only three steps instead of six.  

All of the original decking and railing was heart Cherry.  The decking boards only lasted 5 years but the railing is 22 years old, but it has served it's purpose and will now be replaced.

My today's project was removing and replacing the decking from the top tier.  I quickly found out that using the "saws all" and clipping the nails was the best way to go. 

IMG_5355.JPG
I am freshening the joist and sills with the above before adding the new decking.

IMG_5356.JPG
The old decking was nailed down with these but

IMG_5357.JPG
I chose to go with these galvanized air nails.

IMG_5358.JPG
Ya always gotta be proud of da first board laid, and I was.
IMG_5360.JPG
Seventeen boards later I am at the 45° transition point which is where I stopped for the day.  Me ole bones was kinda tard.  My work is cut out for me tomorrow.

I talked with my tree service guy today that was already scheduled to remove two problem trees from my back yard.  One is a Post Oak so that should serve me well for my railing.  Post Oak is in the White Oak family and will outlast conventional White Oak.

On another note, the sawing jobs are rolling in and stacking up.  :crazy_eyessmilie:  

I need two of me.  smiley_divide

Magicman

IMG_5364~0.JPG
At least I got all of the 45° transition boards off before the rain.

JD Guy

MM, Following as I need to replace our deck boards too. I am considering not spacing them as when they dry/cure the space that opens up seems excessive. Is this a bad idea due to potential for water pooling on the surface until some shrinkage occurs? I'm also considering screwing the deck boards down rather than nailing, if I have to do a repair. As for future total replacement that will be left to others as at 73 it's going to be someone else's responsibility ffcheesy

Magicman

These boards were delivered from the sawmill/processor that day and are soaking dripping wet with the preservatives so there is no way that they can swell.  I am jamming them tight and nailing them down.  I tried deck screws in the past, but never again.  Just too easy to twist them off and you don't know it.

I made a comment earlier about the face quality but yesterday I was at the lumber yard and compared the 5/4 vs the 2X6's.  Many of the 5/4 boards had pith but none of my 2X6's have pith.  The quality of my 2X6 faces compare very nicely with the 5/4, plus I have much tighter growth rings.  Mine are "ground contact" treated and I did not see that on the 5/4. 

As you mentioned, this is also my last rodeo with this deck and I am happy with my decision.

sprucebunny

The 2x6s I removed from my porch were pressure treated, 30 years old and still tightly side butted. Also rotten on the surface. It had been painted. There were some puddles. A few boards had been replaced already.

The joists had some nail sickness. Some of the butt joints had 12 nails in each board ! There were also some ring nails.

I put joist tape on the old joists, sistered some where the grain had broken from all the nails and used stainless screws.

Was it expensive and overkill ? Maybe. 
I spaced the boards carefully at 1/4 and they are about 3/8 now ( south side of house). That's fine. The new steel roof sheds snow on the deck and I have gutter heat tape run in the gaps near the siding to help melt it and air will help get rid of the rest.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

JD Guy

Thanks, MM! Ok, maybe best to go back with nails ffcheesy I have a Paslode nailer so should go quickly and no need to rent/buy a big screw gun! Looking forward to your progress. Oh, I can't remember but when the treatment process changed a few years back from Penta to the new stuff didn't that mean that galvanized could no longer be used or is it the other way around?

Peter Drouin

You're right about the deck screws. I got some from the big box store. The head would snap off or brake 1/2 way down.
Good luck and don't overdo it, You're not 79 anymore.  ffcheesy
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Magicman

Quote from: JD Guy on March 15, 2024, 07:52:38 PMOh, I can't remember but when the treatment process changed a few years back from Penta to the new stuff didn't that mean that galvanized could no longer be used or is it the other way around?
Yup, galvanized corrodes and plain nails rust so the fasteners go either way.  It's not something that I am too concerned about and I ain't buying SS.  In 5-10 years it all has to be replaced anyway.

Ianab

Only about 150 bd / ft of Sugi on my little trailer today.

Dropping it off to Taylor's school tomorrow for their "tech week". Most is to build plant propagation tables / mini greenhouses, and some random 1" thick off cuts to use with their new laser engraving machine. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Magicman

IMG_5389.JPG
One more small step, the 45° top deck is complete.  Doesn't sound like much, but I am not on a schedule.  No sawmilling until this is completed.

IMG_5394.JPG
I will begin removing the 12'X15' middle deck tomorrow but first the 20+ year old Cherry railing has to go.  I'll just saw it into 20" sticks for firewood. 

Magicman

I did not get all of the rotten decking off today but tomorrow is another day.  It's still a nice change from yesterday. 

Magicman

I had all of the old decking off before noon today.

IMG_5404.JPG
I'll freshen the joists with CopperCoat before placing the new decking.

A little more than half of the decking on the second tier.  After I finish this tier, I'll move on to the last one.  I am going to modify that lower/last tier by removing some of the joists and make it a bit smaller which will make adding the roof much simpler.  I doubt that I will be able to complete that last tier tomorrow and there is rain forecast for Friday.

That purple Wisteria is providing a nice fragrance while I am working.

doc henderson

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Magicman

Thanks doc, but with all of this up & down my legs are setting my work schedule. 

I will be excited to get a roof over this deck which will add to it's enjoyment and also prevent the weather beating that it has always had.

doc henderson

At 63 much of the get is gone from my gitty-up-and-go.  I can only imagine when I am your age.  very motivational.

Thank You Sponsors!