iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

West Virginia Flooding

Started by Ron Scott, June 25, 2016, 05:50:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Scott

Very sad, hope our WVA FF members are doing OK.

I've been watching my old Ranger District at Richwood, WVA on the Monongahela NF. The town is devastated. Some friends there have not yet been able to get to the Ranger Station as H-39 is impassable. I wonder if the house we lived in is still there. The Cherry River was in our back yard.
~Ron

Den Socling

I don't know what the terrain is around the area that was hit but I have driven through WV enough to know there are a lot of deep valleys. A terrible place to be if a lot of rain hits. They are calling it a 1000 year flood.

Bark Beetle

We went through West Virginia, going from Maryland to Missouri, on Thursday and it rained the whole time we were on the road. I looked at the storm system on the weather radar and it stopped going south over WV and started going east, and it was easily several hundred miles long.

Stay safe and good luck to all in the region.
You don't work wood, you work with wood.

coxy

Quote from: Den Socling on June 26, 2016, 12:07:53 AM
I don't know what the terrain is around the area that was hit but I have driven through WV enough to know there are a lot of deep valleys. A terrible place to be if a lot of rain hits. They are calling it a 1000 year flood.
its just terrible    we went through almost the same thing back in 06-07 with the 100 year floods there was 3 of them in less than a year    fire and water are the worst things to be around      the one flood we had on rt206 by roscoe there was so much water coming down the beaver kill river that where it meets the willowemonk river it made the water run backwards  up the river it was freaky   

Corley5

The pics on the news earlier today were something else.  The high water marks and water piled debris... 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

WV Sawmiller

All is well here but neighbors to our East got hit pretty hard. I had one small hickory uprooted and a few limbs broken off my trees but nothing serious.

The Greenbrier River was out of the road and Alderson is still on a water advisory with no sewer system last I heard. The creeks flooded real bad because of the narrow width between the mountains. Mine is high but not out of its banks.

We've had a lot of power flickering on and off which has driven my wife crazy as she has been downloading and massaging over 1,000 pictures she took at her cousin's wedding in Mexico last week. At one point she was ready to download them to a portable hard drive and the power flickered and she lost all her work and had to go back and repeat the work.

Keep my neighbors in your thoughts and prayers as some of them did have serious losses.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Ron Scott

More rain is in the forecast there for tomorrow.Let's hope it doesn't materialize. Only those bringing supplies are being allowed into Richwood as cleanup begins.
~Ron

Ron Scott

Talked to the Gauley District Ranger Station this afternoon. They are without power, in some water, got all the vehicles out and are helping with supplies and clean up in the town of Richwood. The rangers dwelling where we once lived survived. The town is in rough shape, most businesses gone, Oakford Avenue destroyed, etc. It will be a long time for them to recover. Our daughter Tara was born there in 1976.   
~Ron

red

Thoughts and Prayers to West Virginia
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Thank You Sponsors!