iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Do you lower your board foot price for "big" jobs

Started by woeboy, June 16, 2010, 10:26:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woeboy

hi all, cheers from down here on the oily gulf coast :( >:( the smell today was horrible!!! i dont know how the people to in La. and Miss. breathe. It cannot be healthy :(

So does anyone lower their prices for big jobs? What is considered a big job to you?

Me? I have an all manual mill, sometime help sometimes not (as a suppose many of you deal with also), I charge 0.25 for 1000 bf or more. To me a job that has more than 4000 bf is considered a "big job", though I do not lower my price any big jobs. Having said this the biggest job I've done so far was 4700 bf.  I have had a few calls for qoutes on jobs between 3000-8000 bf, but they seem stuned that I dont offer a discount for bigger jobs and off they go, I guess to someone else  ;) :D

thanks for the responses,
Jason

malcolmtent

I'm no expert on this at all, but I bid on a job at a golf course with a few hundred logs just the other day, and no, I didn't lower my price. I actually quoted 5c/ft more than my base price.

Why? Because I wanted to leave room for the client to talk me down, which he hasn't (so far.) And also, I don'g want to spend a month at a site regretting my fee structure.

Especially the latter.

DR Buck

Quote from: woeboy on June 16, 2010, 10:26:12 PM

So does anyone lower their prices for big jobs? What is considered a big job to you?

Why would I want to lower my price?   The first board foot is the same as the last no matter if it's 10 bf or 10,000 bf.  And, my price is non-negotiable.   35¢ a board foot.  Take it or leave it.   It don't matter to me.  I always wish them luck if they think they can get it milled cheaper somewhere else.   My minimum is $350 if I go portable.  So anything up to 1000 bf is the same cost unless they bring the logs to me.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Tim/South

My price does not change.  Sawing is sawing and the last log milled in no easier than the first one.

carykong

Nearly any job that requires that I trailer my mill,manual LT25, is charged by the hour rather than the board foot. My jobs are normally under 2000bdft. Too many variables lurk about with an unknown worksite. Charging by the hour encourages the buyer to make the operation efficient. More efficiency means more value for the buyer. I do tell the potential buyer that my mill can expect to produce about 200bdft per hour if the logs are sufficient quality,arranged  close to the mill site,clean. A front end loader on site is a big help with efficiency and I encourage the owner to participate with his loader if he has one.  I will bring my loader if the buyer is prepared to pay for trailer milage. If the job is under 800bdft,my loader on a remote site is not really worth the cost benefit of higher efficiency.

Brucer

When I saw the customers' logs, there's no discount for volume. The quality of the first cut is the same as the quality of the last cut, no matter the size of the job.

When I sell custom timbers cut from my own logs, I have two price structures: a retail price for civilians and a wholesale price for selected contractors. This reflects the amount of hassle (and time-wasting) I have to put up with.

To qualify for the lower price, a contractor has to have

• done at least $1000 worth of business with me,
  • given me a precise list of what he/she wants, and
  • a record of paying bills promptly.

I've been known to give the contractor price to civilians if they meet the above criteria.

I do not, under any circumstances, dicker with the customer. It makes the customer feel you were trying to take advantage of him/her.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

sigidi

I do a discount for volume, but I charge by the volume of log not hourly or by the output of the mill.

I understand where everyone is coming from with the notion the timber quality doesn't change from 1st board to 1000th board, but to lose the hassle of moving site, fuel/wear an tear on the ute etc. I'm looking at dropping my 'normal' volume rate if a substantial amount of logs can be guaranteed, but it needs to be more than 3 days worth of cutting, logs in one pile, no moving the mill around etc. You see my volume rate takes into account all of my expenses, I don't have 'extra' charges, so if I don't incur those other charges then to save my customer $'s I charge a bit less
Always willing to help - Allan

Chuck White

Around this area we sawyers don't get the $$$ that most of you guys are talking about so, NO, I don't reduce my fee on large jobs.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

John Bartley

Quote from: carykong on June 17, 2010, 12:01:41 AM
Nearly any job that requires that I trailer my mill,manual LT25, is charged by the hour rather than the board foot. My jobs are normally under 2000bdft. Too many variables lurk about with an unknown worksite. Charging by the hour encourages the buyer to make the operation efficient. More efficiency means more value for the buyer. I do tell the potential buyer that my mill can expect to produce about 200bdft per hour if the logs are sufficient quality,arranged  close to the mill site,clean. A front end loader on site is a big help with efficiency and I encourage the owner to participate with his loader if he has one.  I will bring my loader if the buyer is prepared to pay for trailer milage. If the job is under 800bdft,my loader on a remote site is not really worth the cost benefit of higher efficiency.

This (above) is a business-mans answer, and one with which I completely agree. I have never been able to understand why sawyers charge by the board foot when there are so many variables affecting your revenue stream. Charging by the hour is a huge incentive for the customer to be smart about job and to have everything ready and well organised. As far as discounts go (the original question), the only time a discount should apply to any sale is when the seller can apply efficiencies of scale so that the discount produces extra profits for the seller, not fewer!

cheers

John
Kioti DK35HSE w/loader & forks
Champion 25hp band mill, 20' bed
Stihl MS361
Stihl 026

bull

nope - don't bow down to the big guy or the big job !!! don't not discriminate the prices stays the same for everyone.....
cheaping out only hurts you- don't sell yourself short.... And if they customer want's it done cheaper let them find some other sucker...
You will loose more good paying small jobs by taking on the big lower paying job and loose your regular customer base because you don't have time for the regulars...
Been there done that !!!!

if you want the big job, shoot a higher price at that customer and come in at your normal rate, hope they are a sucker for that !!

Mark Webb

My rate is .35 cents a bf for 10/4 down to4/4. Anything above 10/4 I charge .30 cents a bf. or $55.00 per hour.
The Lord made enough time in each day to do what we need to do "graciously".

woodmills1

some customers, repeats or look like repeats I lowere my charge

first timers pay retail

I still have 3 customers I haven't raised prices for 12 or 14 years

you need customers
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

malcolmtent

Quote from: woodmills1 on June 17, 2010, 06:36:14 PM
I still have 3 customers I haven't raised prices for 12 or 14 years
And I haven't raised prices at my other business in 8 years. Was about to when the current financial mess hit, and now I feel it's the wrong time.

We're both making a mistake here, woodmills1, in my humble....

Quote from: woodmills1 on June 17, 2010, 06:36:14 PM
you need customers

And you also need to be profitable. Your customers will actually respect you more if you act professionally. Not raising prices in over a decade isn't acting professionally. I'm not going to make that mistake in this business.

ErikC

I won't lower the rate. It's .35, seems pretty average from the above posts. I charge a setup and hauling fee. I have adjusted those occasionally for a big job, like something over 10,000 bd ft.
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

wannasaw

I charge by bf same for everyone but I'm new and small with LT28. The .32 price is non negotiable. I'm kinda like Tom though in that I seem to like people and talk as much as saw that would have to change if I was hourly.
LT28 70something Int'l Backhoe loader  Kubota L285, Husky 55, F-250 7.3, 12'x6' single axle trailer, Kubota RTV900 w/remote hyd. Iron will...

ljmathias

Tom likes people? Our Tom?  Wow, we learn something everyday!   ;D

If it weren't for all the great people on this forum, most of whom seem to like people pretty much, I wouldn't use up so much of my time here...  easy to learn from teachers you like, but ones you don't, not so much.

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

Magicman

The very last thing that you as a businessman need is for two customers to talk to each other and one find out that you were cheaper/higher for different jobs.  Talk about the potential to lose customers.

Obviously, my saw price is the same for everyone and every job.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sigidi

I just give someone a job price, so they don't have any idea what 'potential difference' there may be between two jobs. Besides there is so much possible variation in a job, just can't be the same price
Always willing to help - Allan

petefrom bearswamp

I charge the same for small jobs and big whether hourly, $50.00 per  clock hr. if I am alone and $40 if they tail and are good.
Or per bd ft. .30. alone or with help.
My neighbor charges .23 per ft and works all the time, I don't , I only work when someone is willing to pay.
For crying out loud, my machine cost $38,000 and why should I work on the cheap?
I ain't looking to get rich, only make a decent wage.
custom sawing makes me more $ than the lumber I saw when I buy logs in and mill, sticker it and sell it when dry.
I know Chuck white says he can't charge a good price due to cheap competition, but cheaper is not necessarily a good thing due to poor sawing etc.

Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Buck

I'm so tired of folks belly-aching over 250$ per thousand it doesnt matter if I custom cut.  250$per thousand with offbearing help.  No help?  extra 10-12$per hour.
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

Thank You Sponsors!