iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Email notifications not working

Started by woodsy, August 27, 2011, 07:03:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodsy

I have not been receiving email notifications for threads I have posted on and for pm's sent to me.  This has been going on for over 3 months. 

The receive email notification link is turned on in my settings. Any ideas? Thanks.
LT40HDG38, Logrite T36 log arch, 42 hp Kubota, 6 foot cross cut saw, lots of axes and not enough time

Jeff

Complain to Comcast. Sometime back we had an exploit that turned the server into a spam relay. I quickly found the problem, patched the security problem and have not had any problems since. Comcast put a block on us for that and I tried to have it removed more than once with no luck. I guess they block my contacts to them as well because my email originates from the Forestry Forum server.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

woodsy

LT40HDG38, Logrite T36 log arch, 42 hp Kubota, 6 foot cross cut saw, lots of axes and not enough time

Jeff

I'll see if I can go a different route about contacting them and see if we can get it straightened out.

Jeff

I followed up on this today and found an alternative way to contact Comcast about this issue. I'm hoping that it will be resolved in the near future.  Please let me know if you begin to receive your notices?  Thanks!

Jeff

Test to see if Woodsy gets his notification....

woodsy

Just got the internet back after Irene and the first email waiting for me was a notification from the Forestry Forum. So yes, I received the notification just fine.  This is great.  Thank you so much for fixng this Jeff.

Jeff

Warbird

SwampDonkey

Well, for the last two days, they've blocked mine.  :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

John Mc

I have not been getting notifications at my new gmail address (which has been entered in my profile). Strange, because my old ISP contracted with gmail for their email. Even though it did not have a gmail domain name, the interface was the same.

The notifications are not showing up in gmails spam folder either...

I've added "noreply@forestryforum.com" to my contacts list for that gmail account awhile ago, which is supposed to prevent it from getting tagged as spam. Is there something else I should do?

I left one topic unread last night, just to see if I'll eventually get a notification ("Firewood Bags" last posted at 8:52 PM Oct 30). Is there anything else I should check on my end?

John Mc
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Jeff

John, I am going to send you an email from my phone, which is a forestryforum email. I'm at the cabin, so I will use that email. It is sent via the forestryforum servers, so if you get it, that should narrow the possibilities.  Just reply back if you do so I know, or report here if you dont.

Jeff

Texas Ranger

It is good to have a pro at the helm.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

John Mc

received and responded to email from phone.

Added Admins address to my contact list. However, I think that will only help with notifications that are getting diverted to the gmail spam box, correct? I'm not seeing notifications in there either.

Thanks for the help, and the great site!

Maybe I just need to stay off for a couple of days and see what happens?

John Mc
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Jeff

I think I found your problem in your forum settings.  You have selected to be notified if the thread was moderated, not replied to.

Raider Bill

I was wondering about this myself as I haven't been getting any notifications. To my knowledge nothing has changed or at least I haven't made any.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

John Mc

Quote from: Jeff on October 31, 2011, 11:04:55 AM
I think I found your problem in your forum settings.  You have selected to be notified if the thread was moderated, not replied to.

Thanks Jeff. My own stupidity bites me again...

Jeff

Quote from: Raider Bill on October 31, 2011, 12:51:39 PM
I was wondering about this myself as I haven't been getting any notifications. To my knowledge nothing has changed or at least I haven't made any.

Your problem would be different. You use your biz email under your domain, so you should be able to find on your server why you are not getting the mail. It must be being blocked on your server.

Raider Bill

I'll ask my tech guy next time he comes in. Nothing should have changed.

Jeff

Same drill for you Bill  :)   I sent you an email via the forum servers. let me know if you get it.

SwampDonkey

I haven't received any notifications for about a week Jeff. Only thing I did was change signature and avatar and that was later on in the week. This seems to happen once in awhile. I don't get but one unsolicited email once in awhile all others are legit that I have signed up for.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

Bill, here is your problem.  Spam Arrest

QuoteBill Schultz here,

I'm protecting myself from receiving junk mail.

Please click the link below to complete the verification process.
You have to do this only once.

Then, once you get there, you have to enter code to finish up. The forum software has no way to "click the link" or "enter the code"  :) 

You will need to login to your Spam Arrest account and add to the trusted emails, noreply@forestryforum.com and admins@forestryforum.com and that should take care of it.

WDH

I will try that too as I have not been getting e-mail notification of PM's like normal. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Corley5

I haven't been getting notifications of PMs or replys to threads for a while now either  ???  I checked my account settings and everything looks like I should be  ???
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Raider Bill

Quote from: Jeff on October 31, 2011, 07:03:00 PM
Bill, here is your problem.  Spam Arrest

QuoteBill Schultz here,

I'm protecting myself from receiving junk mail.

Please click the link below to complete the verification process.
You have to do this only once.

Then, once you get there, you have to enter code to finish up. The forum software has no way to "click the link" or "enter the code"  :) 

You will need to login to your Spam Arrest account and add to the trusted emails, noreply@forestryforum.com and admins@forestryforum.com and that should take care of it.

I don't think that is the problem as I approved that address on November 21st 2006  which should be close to when I joined.

This is the last notification I received

Topic reply: Deer watching
The Forestry Forum <noreply@forestryforum.com>
Wed 10/19/2011 2:14 PM
bill@fiainspectors.com

A reply has been posted to a topic you are watching by beenthere.

View the reply at: https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=36352.new;topicseen#new

Unsubscribe to this topic by clicking here: https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=notify;topic=36352.0

More replies may be posted, but you won't receive any more notifications until you read the topic.

Regards,
The The Forestry Forum Team.
This is a system email generated by the Forestry Forum. If you reply to this email, it will not reach it's intended recipient. noreply@forestryforum.com

Prior to this I received many each day including new posts, replies, PM's etc. My tech guy says nothings changed on this end.

Jeff

hmmmm....

Well,  I guess I'll be looking deeper when I get home. I know I've changed nothing since that time period.  Is anyone getting notifications?  Registration must be working as we are getting new members yet.

Raider Bill

I just got my first one since the below mention date titled "There It Goes"

beenthere

I turned that feature off as it was more nuisance than benefit. But then I usually check in often (prolly too often but can't help it  ;D )
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

woodsy

This is my first notification of any sort in about 2 weeks.  In fact I was just getting ready to post about notifications not working for my account but I guess they are working now.  Thanks for fixing the problem.

Jeff

Ok, good.  I went in and changed the port for outgoing mail on the server. Maybe some ISP's were blocking it. I don't know, but hopefully this was the fix.

Raider Bill

I'd say that was it as they are coming in now.

SwampDonkey

I received my first one around 6:00 pm local time. Musta worked.

Warbird

If this happens again Jeff, let's check the mail logs on the server and the /var/log/messages log file for clues as to what was happening.

Jeff

All I did was switch the forum's smtp connection from port 25 to 587

ronwood

Jeff,
Wondering if there could be a firewall issue with your provider or on your server. Does the server run iptables and if so have you look at it?  On all my servers I do a deny all input and output and have to define each input and output port that is allowed to pass in either direction. Would be surprised what you stop that you did not know about.  Also is there  an application firewall that could be causing a issue.

Ron
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

Warbird

Jeff, as you know I've got a lot going on right now.  I would have some time late next week to analyze the server, should this become an issue again.  Ron's suggestions are very good things to take a look at.

Corley5

It's working  8) 8) 8)  Thanks Jeff :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

WDH

Whatever you did was good!  I am back in the loop again.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com