iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log home raising Seaside Oregon June 23-25

Started by Howdy, June 22, 2009, 02:09:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Howdy

I received an email inviting people to attend a log home raising at Seaside Oregon over the next three days and thought I would pass the info along. 

http://www.treehouseloghomes.com/tlh/events/adams/adams_raising.html

I plan on attending Tuesday and perhaps Thursday if the rain holds off. 

Kim

Howdy

Well I went to watch on Tuesday and found the process very interesting.  Work had started on Monday so the first few courses of logs were already in place, so I was able to see how the team continued picking and placing logs for each inside and outside wall and the uprights holding the roofs over the porches.  There was a team of six fellas working in a calm and professional manner, no excitement or problems - just quality work.  The owner welcomed me and kept checking in to be sure any questions I had were answered and to explain what was occurring.  They were very friendly and pleasant folks with no conflicts or tempers as they worked quietly with a get it done attitude.  One thing I learned is stacking a log home was not a fast or exciting operation, rather it was a well thought out and carefully planned job.  Assembling the logs showed how well they were fitted at the factory level and the adjustments needed were very minor if any.  It was a good day and I wish I could have attended all three days scheduled.
Kim

Jim_Rogers

Thanks for the update, Kim.

Did you get a chance to snap any pictures?

We love pictures....
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Howdy

I remembered the camera about 48 miles from home so the manufacture has lots of good pictures that tell a story. 

Log homes are interesting and if I was harvesting my own logs would be a good idea.  The rustic image is something I like in small amounts; however having an entire home in logs feels a little heavy to me. 

Thank You Sponsors!