iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Skid Steer Winch

Started by Horselog, December 20, 2010, 06:26:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Horselog

Does anyone have experience with a skid steer mounted winch for logging?  And who makes them?   
Benjamin Harris
Appalachian Mountains of Virginia
horse_logger@me.com

Bobus2003

My dad and I built one. We bought a Quick-Attach Backplate, and using some 1/2 Steel we built a Platform for a 10Klbs PTO Driven Winch to sit on, that we put a Hyd Motor on... Now just put it on the Skid Steer, hook up the Hyd Lines and your in bussiness.

Now i wanna put a quick-attach on my Excavator so i can use it on there.. Hand fell and winch trees to it to be processed on the overly steep ground

Reddog

Farmi use to build them. Edit:and I believe they still do, just haven't looked for one.

JL 351 PHD and JL501 HD are the model numbers

sjfarkas

a few companies make them.  I'm holding out for a rotating grapple with a winch on top.  some companies make quick attach plates for excavators too. 
Always try it twice, the first time could've been a fluke.

barbender

I can't remeber the names of the outfits, but I've seen several skid steer mounted log grapple's with a hyd winch on them.
Too many irons in the fire

plasticweld

I have a winch for a skid steer, it is one I made myself, it is a 20 ton hydraulic winch that I plug into the skid steer and run from the controls while sitting, The skid steer is  a New Holland LS 180

The winch is mounted on a portable arch that I use the forks to move it around with, it is attached by chain so that I can quickly hook and un-hook the winch. The arch has a large bull wheel and it is designed so that when I tip the fork down they dig in and it lets me pull whatever I need up. I use a couple of larger bull wheels to mount in large trees so that I can use the winch and skid steer as a portable yarder. I would drag my trees up out of the gullies here and pile them. I would then take the winch off and use the forks to load a pulp trailer with 20 foot sections; I could haul about 3 full cords of wood with the trailer. Once the trailer was loaded; I do have tracks on my skid steer. I put the winch back on the forks and then backed up to the trailer with the skid steer and hauled them to the road. I could use the winch in the front to help me get up and steep hills or through any deep mud. I have both the winch and the trailer for sale and would be glad to send you some pictures of the set up so you can look into either copying what I made or perhaps purchase them if your not to far away. I had great luck with this set up and made enough money with it to buy a skidder, after just purchasing my second skidder I really don't have a need for the winch and trailer.. If you can go to my photo gallery after clicking on my profile  when that comes up look to the left and  where it says my gallery click again and it will open. I think you can see pictures of my set up I would be happy to send you some higher resolution pictures if you send me your email...Bob

logloper

Several companies make an industrial grapple/winch for skidsteers. The ones I know: Fecon, Mark ll, and Implemax.  I have an Implemax, but I dont think they are still being manufactured. Well worth the money to get the grappl/winch combo. I would love to upgrade to the Mark ll. Google it and you will see why. Not a big fan of Fecon.  Useing a skidsteer with tracks, you can move a lot of wood fast with one of these grapples . In small jobs (25000bdft or less)I usually leave the skidder home and just use the skidsteer and grapple. The winch does not freewheel as easy as a skidder winch, but they still do the job well.

barbender

I agree, it is surprising how much wood you can sling around with a skid steer set up like that. Think kind of a mini shovel logger, mine doesn't have a winch on it, that would make it twice as useful.
Too many irons in the fire

Thank You Sponsors!