iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Going to do some selective removal, need a new (used) saw, looking for input.

Started by Windy_Acres, November 17, 2013, 01:23:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Windy_Acres

So I know a maintenance manager of several church camps. They want to do some selective removal of trees at the camps. I offered to remove the trees for the wood (firewood), and there is allot of cutting to do. I need to add a saw into my mix before I jump into this.

Im told the trees Im dropping are 20" diameter and bigger. Ive been there, but its been several years and I was not paying attention to what the forest looked like. It was summer as well, and all "green".

I have a Dolmar PS9000 for the big stuff, a John Deere 55sv 20" (echo EV-550), a Husky 350 18", and a Stihl MiniBoss (forget the model number, its tiny, I think its 14" ?)

Anyhow, Ive been looking for a saw to run between the deere/husky and the Dolmar. Ive gravitated towards the Sthil MS460 from LOTS of google searches.

What Im looking for is a quality saw, that I can get parts for. That saw (MS460) appears to have been German built, and has an aftermarket following. Now Ive been doing tree maintenance for 30+ years (I even own a nice bucket truck), but its just farm clean up and firewood, otherwise, I dont know my backside from a tea cup. I am a formally trained mechanic, I build automotive transmissions and set up axles in my spare time, I used to build motors, and I do driveability and so on. Ive got a shop on the farm that would make most Indy auto garages envious, so I can work on the saw, but I need access to parts, and I DO NOT WANT A NEW SAW ! From what Ive read, I do not want a new saw, and I will spend at least as much money for the right used saw as a new pro saw. So Im not looking for used to save $, Ive just read to steer clear of them.

Ive learned through experience that my JD and Dolmar saws dont exactly have parts "laying around for them", especially the deere saw. Id like to buy a saw used, that I can continue to use and repair, and not scrap because I cant get parts.

So Im not necessarily looking for the absolute best saw ever, that they only made a 1000 units of, but more like the "small block chevy" of saws, to which there is no end to replacement parts. Keep in mind, I do not, nor will I make my living with this saw, I just want a good powerful saw that I can keep running long term.

Is the MS460 the ticket to ride in that size category ? (I want to run about a 24" bar) Or are there better or other candidates that I have missed out on ?

Keep in mind, Im am as concerned with parts availability as I am the quality of the saw. I dont care if its free and the best ever, if I cant get parts, I dont want it.

I appreciate your input. Im not brand loyal, so Im open to any input.

If this was a light truck, or tractor question, I know that answer to that because that is my world, but Im out of my "universe" here, and could use some help.

Thanks in Advance, Windy.

qbilder

I think you are on point with the 460. I bought one used for around $400-$500, can't recall exactly, and spent another $200 or so putting a 25" bar on & new plastic to make it pretty again (I like my stuff to be & stay nice). It was oem rebuilt by a Stihl shop before I bought it, so it was basically a brand new 460 with old beaten plastic & no bar. I was in a very similar situation as you, having a job to clear a bowl in the hill that was going to be dammed up for a lake. I strapped the 25" bar & skip tooth full chisel chain to it, and spent two months cutting. The saw gave absolutely no trouble at all, and zipped through everything like butter. It took me so long because I also set up my mill on site, and used some of the poplar logs to frame out a kiln that I also built on site. I cut red & white oak, soft & hard maple, cherry, poplar, sassafras, and a few walnuts. Size ranged from 30" down to anything that was just too big to whack with a machete. The saw made quick work of everything it touched.

As I understand it, the 044/440 are remarkable saws as well and very easy to maintain. I think the 70cc range of Huskies are also quite popular, though I have no experience running one. Until the lake job, I have always kept around 50-60cc saws & a big 084 to support my band mill. Never had much purpose for the 460, but still always wanted one. The lake job gave me an excuse to get one, and I'm glad I did.     
God bless our troops

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

weimedog

Quote from: Windy_Acres on November 17, 2013, 01:23:28 PM

Im told the trees Im dropping are 20" diameter and bigger.

Anyhow, Ive been looking for a saw to run between the deere/husky and the Dolmar. Ive gravitated towards the Sthil MS460 from LOTS of google searches.

What Im looking for is a quality saw, that I can get parts for.

. I am a formally trained mechanic

I DO NOT WANT A NEW SAW ! From what Ive read, I do not want a new saw, and I will spend at least as much money for the right used saw as a new pro saw. So Im not looking for used to save $, Ive just read to steer clear of them.

I just want a good powerful saw that I can keep running long term.

Keep in mind, Im am as concerned with parts availability as I am the quality of the saw. I dont care if its free and the best ever, if I cant get parts, I dont want it.

To me the answer isn't that hard. A 70cc saw is the best do all size. The two easiest saw chassis to work on for an amateur level saw hobbyist type like me are the 365-372 Husqvarna and for a little less money, the older generation 268-272 chassis. The 372 class saws are better but those old 272's aren't bad. The reason I pick them over all other brands is because the parts are plentiful and the sources are  plentiful too. Just do a search on ebay for either saw and you will see piles of options. I know Stihl's are great saws, arguably the best; but the parts are more expensive. AND I find the Husqvarna's just more basic and simple to tear into. Instant gratification. Also every old Stihl I have had to deal with had ignition issues. That's probably coincidence but that has sealed the deal for me.....You can have a really nice build on a 268-272 and beat 300 bucks if you are as mechanically inclined as advertised, and a really nice build on a 365/372 for under 400.

If you dig thru the archives, I put a lot of info up on the 266-268-272 saws, even built a 61 into a 61/272 hybrid with minimal re-engineering. I also have built a 365/372 hybrid saw that is one of my main saws. Those projects were both fun, and rewarding. Elbow grease, and a few buck's yielded production ready saw's that I have used for a couple of years on hundred's of tree's logging to pay taxes here on the farm.

A more relevant video I did to breeze the subject is:
(Sorry for the hoaky intro! Still learning the medium! This was an early one, the 7 minute mark is where old saws begins)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-e_e1WHtpng
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

ladylake

I'd look at a 7900 Dolmar, the weight of a 70cc saw with the power of a 85cc saw.    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Windy_Acres

Thanks for the replies guys, Im following up on the suggestions/link, and I watched the video, thank you !

ChopperDan

I don't know anything about the 460. I don't doubt that it's a good saw. You could check the Home Depot rental centers for a Makita 6421 same as a dolmar. I recently picked up 6 of them ranging from 200-250 each. A new dolmar p/c is 200 and another 100 for muffler. Even stock with a 20" bar they smoke. Although a tad on the heavy side for a 64cc saw.
550xpg
562xp
Makita 6421 converted to 7900 X2
Hd SuperSpitter

Thank You Sponsors!