iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

110V router in Liberia electrical question

Started by terrifictimbersllc, January 16, 2018, 10:40:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

terrifictimbersllc

HELP.

We have a need to use a hand held router at the sawmill in Liberia.  One will need to be taken or sent over there.

The electrical supply at the mill is only 220 (or maybe 240), pretty sure it's 60Hz everywhere in Liberia not like Europe.

Last April, we bought a 1000 watt stepdown transformer in town (220 to 120), which is successfully being used to power the 120V BMS250 sharpener which is labelled as 430 watts.

My question:  will the 1000W  transformer be sufficient to run a Porter Cable 690 router which is marked as 110V/8.0 amps (120 x 8 = 960 watts)?  Or is it likely to blow the fuse and send us back into town for a 2000W or 3000W step down transformer.

Second, one can buy speed attenuators to use with a router.  Would one of those reduce the router power demand if they can't get by with the 1000W transformer?

HELP.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Kbeitz

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kbeitz

Amazon sell a International Voltage Converter 220V to 110V 1600 Watt
for $9.29
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Ljohnsaw

Maybe a dumb question but here (in the States), you can take a 240v feed (Line-Neutral-Line) and split it into two 120v circuits.  How is the power delivered in Europe/elsewhere?  Can't you just make your own splitter box that has a couple outlets hanging off of each side/line?  Or is the power delivered as Line/Neutral/Ground?
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Kbeitz

Quote from: ljohnsaw on January 16, 2018, 12:02:22 PM
Maybe a dumb question but here (in the States), you can take a 240v feed (Line-Neutral-Line) and split it into two 120v circuits.  How is the power delivered in Europe/elsewhere?  Can't you just make your own splitter box that has a couple outlets hanging off of each side/line?  Or is the power delivered as Line/Neutral/Ground?

If it's like Dominican Republic everything is 3 phase. No neutral. Homes
just have two lines out of the three coming into there home.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Don P

Absolutely confirm the Hertz... and please post back. Dad had the stepdown in Russia but still smoked some stuff on 50 Hz

terrifictimbersllc

I guess I'm asking those of you who know more about electricity than I do,  if a 1000W rated step down transformer that they have (it weighs about 20 pounds) will run an 8 amp router. 

The router will just have to do light cutting.   Or will the start-up draw be much higher than 8A?
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

qbilder

It'll be very close, but I think you'll be ok. Much will depend on how heavily you use the router and the quality & sharpness of the bit. A high quality and/or sharp bit will require less power than a cheap and/or dull bit. A fresh Freud would be ideal. If the cutter isn't cutting efficiently, it can force the router to draw significantly more juice than it's rated for. Most of the time it only means short router life, but in your case it'll be the difference of using a router or not. I'd also recommend taking successive thinner cuts rather than hogging.         
God bless our troops

btulloh

The transformer should handle the startup current OK.  It may not startup quite as rapidly because the current spike could saturate the transformer, but it won't cause a failure.  I think you're good.
HM126

terrifictimbersllc

I should mention that the electrical supply at the sawmill area and each other place I spent any time, was by generator.  I am pretty sure that the wiring that came to the plug where we had the transformer set up, was only two conductors.   I didn't go back to the generator to have a look there.  It was huge, taking up most of a small room, and the noise in the whole area was unbearable.

Kbeitz

A transformer is a tough beast. If it's in the open you can tell
if your getting it to hot. It take a lot to burn one up.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Thank You Sponsors!