iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fall leaf viewing

Started by Ron Wenrich, November 05, 2005, 09:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Wenrich

Went on the ultimate way to view the fall scenery.  It all started by showing up at 6:30 AM.  After we were all together, they started to blow up the balloon.

It was a very calm morning and was pretty warm for November.  The leaves have hung around a little longer than normal.  The only problem was that there was pretty much haze, thanks to a temperature inversion.  But, it was a real peaceful 1 hour flight.  Here's some of what I saw:

Crimsons and yellows of some maple on a farmstead:

A well kept Amish farm, with some changing folage

Overlooking Lancaster county farm country

The changing leaves

We were flying anywhere from 500-3000 ft.  Trip lasted about 1 hour and we landed in an Amish schoolyard.  Afterwards, they gave us a glass of champagne and a good deal of memories.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Jeff

Thats something I have always wanted to do! I remember you had a ride coming. How was it you aquired that? Gift?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ron Wenrich

Actually, I bought it for the wife's birthday a few years ago (can't say which one ;D).  She always wanted to go on a hot air balloon, so I tagged along.

Probably one of the coolest things you'll ever do.   

jon12345

I've never liked heights, but that is a pretty cool way to check out the fall color!  I'll stick to watchin out the car window  ;D
A.A.S. in Forest Technology.....Ironworker

old3dogg

Ive always wanted to do that too. How much would a trip like that cost? Where at in Pa?

blueox

The pictures are beautiful! I hate heights and would prefer my 2 feet on the ground, But if I liked heights that would be a cool thing to do.

I feel sorry for all the leaf peepers that traveled to Northern VT this year. I kept waiting and waiting for Peak...but Peak never PEAKED!!! One morning we woke up and looked out at our gorgeous view and said..."Geeze, I dont' think its quite there...but pretty close! It was sunny all morning and then the rain came...and it rained and rained and rained and the leaves all FELL!! So ....so much for fall foliage in Northern VT and the leaves seemed to be dull this year. Alot of rusty, muted colors!!

We traveled down towards VA, shortly after that and we actually got to see a little foliage on our travels. WOW we certainly have a beautiful country!

Laurel

DOT Highway Approved Log Load Trailers. For your ON Road Multi-Purpose Use

sawguy21

Quote from: jon12345 on November 05, 2005, 10:40:13 PM
I've never liked heights, but that is a pretty cool way to check out the fall color!  I'll stick to watchin out the car window  ;D
:D :D :D Me too. Sure would be a memorable trip if I could open my eyes and look over the edge.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Dan_Shade

One of my aunts has gotten herself in the crowd, i guess, she's been up several times, and has a few photo albums of pictures she's taken, she normally brings them to christmas dinner or other events to showcase her last year.  It's neat stuff.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Ron Wenrich

This outfit is just a little outside of Lancaster, PA.  They also have one outside of Valley Forge, PA.  Right now they charge $180/trip.  But, a ticket is good forever, and you can give it to someone else, if you get cold feet.  They fly every day that weather permits.

For $20 more, you can transfer it to anywhere in the world.  I know they have flights in Colorado, New Mexico, New Zealand, Switzerland, Austria, and a host of other places.  Something you would have to do some research.

They also have 5 day trips in other countries.  The cost of that is $850/person, but includes room, breakfast and dinner.  I think it is a pretty good price.  The have them in Switzerland, Austria, Japan, and New Zealand.  It doesn't include air fare.

Now, for the "scared  of heights" thing.  I don't like heights.   But, this is different.  Things just get a little smaller as you go higher.  It is so gradual, you don't even realize it.  You're just floating along and you keep in the back of your head that they have never had an accident.  Believe me, it isn't like being in a high building.  Its also so quiet we could hear the horses clopping on the road below.

The pilot said the oldest guy that he's had on a flight was a guy who was 100 years old.  When asked what he wanted for his 100th birthday, he said he was never in a hot air balloon.  He stood for an hour and never realized it.  The longest he had stood in a number of years. 

Maybe I'll try parasails next year.   ;D

old3dogg

Thanks for the info Ron. Im gonna hit the big 40 this summer and was looking for something cool to do to celebrate.
I thought about sky diving but the balloon ride maybe better. i may save the sky dive for when I turn the big 50. ;D

ohsoloco

That was a great time to take that balloon ride  :)  The leaves have been spectacular this year, and the maples are outa sight right now.  Too bad we just had a storm run through about an hour ago  :(

SwampDonkey

That would be a very cool ride.  8) They also have the Annual Atlantic Balloon Fiesta here in Sussex. It's the weekend after Labor Day and has been an annual event for 20 years. Flights cost $160 per person and are on a first come first served basis. You cannot reserve a space. Balloon pilots are from throughout Canada and the Eastern United States.

http://atlanticballoonfiesta.ca/
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jodi

I'm not a huge fan of flying myself  :) You still can't really beat the views from that far up though, and I prefer smaller, more conserved plane rides over commercial flights.  ::) Turbulance is never very settling either...But I think as far as comercial flights go, the plane food is probably more dangerous than the flight itself.  ;D

Thank You Sponsors!