iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Barn siding

Started by witterbound, November 05, 2007, 03:48:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

witterbound

I've got an old sagging barn in Arkansas.  It was built as a hog barn, long after timberframing was popular, so it's stick framing.  It's roof is sagging.  So, I've spruced it up a little bit by adding a timberframe ridge beam (my first timberframe project).  Been a lot of fun.  Once I remember how to post pictures I will.  My timbers came from Arkansawyer, whom I found on this website.  Gonna make another trip to Flippin to buy some oak siding for the barn.  My question is, should I put tarpaper or tyvek between the oak board siding and the pine studs, or nothing?  Back in the old days I imagine they didn't use anything.  But should I use something to help keep the water out and make it a little more "windproof"?

witterbound

Here are some pictures of my ridge beam raising.  Well that didn't work.  I have added them to my album, but I haven't yet figured out how to add them here.  I'll keep working on it.

witterbound

OK, I give up.  Someone give me a clue on how to post my pictures from my Forestry Forum album to this board??  Thanks.

OK, maybe I've figured it out . ...

beenthere

Great pics. thanks.
About the Tyvek...I think it would work well to stop the wind and outside rain, but....my memory of it when adding on and having the new room wrapped in it, was the incessant noise and flapping when the wind blew. As long as the siding ties it down well, that probably won't happen. Just a thought. That noise is prolly great when one is sailing and the sails are flapping in the breeze, but when inside the room...it was 'bout driving us crazy..  ;D   or crazier :)

Your new beam looks like it was a neat, carefully planned procedure.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jim_Rogers

Do you intend to heat this barn?
If so then you should have the vapor barrier, if not you really don't need it, unless you want to stop the wind....

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

ljmathias

Nice work- thanks for showing us. It's neat to see a hybrid structure like you've made out of your stick frame barn. Makes me think more of this type of combined use of timber frame with stick frame walls should be considered for some applications.

LJ
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

witterbound

Thanks Jim.  I don't intend to heat it, so I think I'll just put up the siding without tyvek or tarpaper.  Learned a lot doing this little project.  I think my next timberframe project will be to build a very small showerhouse that I can put up next spring.  If I get er done, I'll post some pictures.

LeeB

How far from Flippin are you witterbound? You one of the locals?
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

witterbound

Someday I hope to be.  Grew up in NWA, but moved to KC area years ago.  My barn is in Witter, which is about 15 miles south of Huntsville.

Dave Shepard

Nice job! Welcome to the forum!

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

TexasTimbers

I like the way you solve problems witter. :) Thanks for the pictures.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Stephen1

It looks like a lot thinking went into this project. Nice work. Thanks for the pictures.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

witterbound

It was an interesting challenge to raise it inside the barn, without something like a forklift.  Thanks for everyone's comments.

Thank You Sponsors!