iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bent Axle

Started by Colonel428, March 30, 2022, 06:58:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colonel428

So I've got a small 5x10 that's my wood hauler, both for logs I pick up and firewood for customers.  It has a single, 3,500 lb axle which I (unsurprisingly) have managed to bend.  It's not terrible but in NASCAR terms I have a toe out problem :).  My question is this...Am I able to loosen the two U bolts on each side, rotate the axle where the bend is up and not down and then retighten the axle?  Just curious if it would work. Thanks, Steve.

scsmith42

Steve, small trailers typically have a slight positive camber built into the axle.  It is bent in the exact middle so that the axle flatten out under load.

If your axle lacks spring mounting plates, then yes you should be able to rotate it. 
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Menagerie-Manor

If it's just a simple axle/leaf arrangement there's no reason not to rotate the axle I can think of. Just decide if you want the bow to be up or down.
If you come to a fork in the road take it.....

Woodland Mills HM126
Yanmar YM2310D
Stihl 031AV
Stihl MS251

rusticretreater

Its possible the axle may have shifted in its mounts and the u-bolts might need replacing as well.  Now if the axle is positioned properly with its arc like a rainbow from side to side and your wheels are pointing out, then you have a problem alrighty.  

It may not seem like much, but any misalignment of the tires will wear them pretty fast. Axles don't cost all that much. Better safe than sorry.  
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

SawyerTed

Some axles have tabs that fit in the spring to prevent rotation under load.  

I used an alignment shop to fix the bent axle on one of my trailers.  They put the arch back into both axles on a tandem axle trailer. They also ensured the spindles were an equal distance from the coupler on each axle. 
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Colonel428

Hey Ted.  Just curious to know what something like that costs - I was quoted $450 for the exact replacement axle for my trailer.  Thanks, Steve.

Colonel428

Quote from: rusticretreater on March 30, 2022, 07:27:50 PM
Its possible the axle may have shifted in its mounts and the u-bolts might need replacing as well.  Now if the axle is positioned properly with its arc like a rainbow from side to side and your wheels are pointing out, then you have a problem alrighty.  

It may not seem like much, but any misalignment of the tires will wear them pretty fast. Axles don't cost all that much. Better safe than sorry.  
Where might I find affordable axles?  The dealer here quoted me $450 for an exact replacement for the axle that's on my trailer now.  Thanks, Steve.

Crusarius

If you think you bent the axle an exact replacement would be last thing I would consider. They do make 5k and 7k and 10k and........

Upgrade if your going to buy new. Tractor supply has them on the shelf. You can also do yourself a favor and get a braked axle at the same time. if you are towing that much not having brakes is a bad idea.

Colonel428

Quote from: Crusarius on March 30, 2022, 10:20:36 PM
If you think you bent the axle an exact replacement would be last thing I would consider. They do make 5k and 7k and 10k and........

Upgrade if your going to buy new. Tractor supply has them on the shelf. You can also do yourself a favor and get a braked axle at the same time. if you are towing that much not having brakes is a bad idea.
You know, when I asked the dealer about putting a stronger axle on it he said it wouldn't work because of the tongue rating.  But I think I will go up in weight rating with the new axle.

TroyC

If your wheels are toed outward it is possible you bumped a curb or something. Did that with my boat trailer.

Higher rated axle will help somewhat, but remember, you still have a 3500 lb trailer. The tires,  frame, springs, shackles,  tongue, and connector are probably all built to max out at 3500 lbs. Putting a 5k axle on it will not make it a 5k trailer. Remember, a 3500 lb rated trailer is total weight for trailer and load, generally not just the actual cargo weight.

3500 lb trailer probably has 205/75/14 range C tires. Go to load range D in that size will get you about 500 lbs more capacity, but your connector and springs are going to be the weak links. The trailer connector has a weight rating for the connector stamped in the metal. 

Some states require brakes on that much trailer. Most small 5x10 trailers do not have brakes. Around 4-5k, trailer brakes really are a safety necessity, required or not.

As noted earlier, your axle probably has a pad welded on it that sits on the springs. The spring pack has a pin on top that the pad sits on to prevent the axle from slipping. Generally you cannot rotate the axle without cutting and repositioning the spring pad.

Liability from an overloaded trailer can cause serious issues in the event of an accident. Stay safe!

Colonel428

Thanks Troy.  Yeah, I don't need to have an accident with it.  I think I'm gonna go to my local northern toolhttps://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=position"> Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company tomorrow and get their opinion on a replacement axle.

SawyerTed

Quote from: Colonel428 on March 30, 2022, 10:02:47 PM
Hey Ted.  Just curious to know what something like that costs - I was quoted $450 for the exact replacement axle for my trailer.  Thanks, Steve.
If I recall correctly, in the neighborhood of $200 per axle. 
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Old Greenhorn

Don't waste your time with NT, junk stuff, no support. ETrailer.com has all the parts in all the sizes. A 3,500# dexter axle is around $250. and a 5,000# us just a few bucks more. They also have the springs and other stuff. Just remember you have a small trailer and the entire design is based on the weight rating as others have said. So if you try to upgrade, be prepared to beef up the frame, tongue, springs, shackles, and everything else, plus add brakes. My state requires brakes over a certain haul rating, I forget what the number is.
 Good luck.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Stephen1

I have been through numerous trailers over the years. The #1 thing I learned is that the single axle is always trouble. An older trailer is trouble. Rebuilding an older trailer is usually a waste of money, as you repair 1 part, the next part will fail. Get a new/newer trailer with a dble axle. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

B.C.C. Lapp

I'd buy a replacement axle.    Then I'd sell the trailer.   Then I'd buy a trailer that can handle heavier loads.     I doubt your going to quit hauling logs and firewood and they aint going to get lighter.   I know moneys tight, same here, but in the long run I'd say you'll be farther ahead.
Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

Crusarius

Everyone who followed my post is spot on. I was thinking this was an offroad trailer not for on road use. 

It sounds like it does see road use as well. If you beef the axle you will need to beef all of it to keep it safe. 

You will probably be further ahead to replace the axle, sell it, and then buy the right trailer or build one from scratch designed for the loads you're working with.

rusticretreater

Another thing that will happen with an upgraded axle is the trailer will get quite bouncy/squirrely.  The weight of the trailer is supposed to keep things stable.  A stronger bowed axle needs more weight on it to make it stable.

When I replaced the axle on my small trailer, I used the same rating of axle but still noted it was a bit bouncier when empty.
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

21incher

I am guessing  that dealer  price was for a complete axle with hubs and bearings.  Once the axle has been overloaded everything  needs replacing. The sticker on the trailer is what will be used if there ever is an problem and overloaded  will cost you. 
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Iwawoodwork

Colonel,  To answer your question,  Yes if it is a straight axle , you may have to change the location of the spring pads if it has them.  That might require a grinder with cut off wheel  
and welder. 
That said,  what I would do is look for another  used axle with 6 bolt hubs (heavier wt capacity). and reconfigure it to fit if you have the tools to do it.
See how easy that was for me  to spend your time and money. 

Colonel428

Quote from: B.C.C. Lapp on March 31, 2022, 08:22:18 AM
I'd buy a replacement axle.    Then I'd sell the trailer.   Then I'd buy a trailer that can handle heavier loads.     I doubt your going to quit hauling logs and firewood and they aint going to get lighter.   I know moneys tight, same here, but in the long run I'd say you'll be farther ahead.
Lol.  Yeah, I need a bigger trailer.  Problem is I live in a neighborhood with an HOA and it's got to be stored in my garage at night.  I think I can get a 6x12 to fit though.  

scsmith42

Quote from: Colonel428 on March 31, 2022, 12:58:23 PM
Quote from: B.C.C. Lapp on March 31, 2022, 08:22:18 AM
I'd buy a replacement axle.    Then I'd sell the trailer.   Then I'd buy a trailer that can handle heavier loads.     I doubt your going to quit hauling logs and firewood and they aint going to get lighter.   I know moneys tight, same here, but in the long run I'd say you'll be farther ahead.
Lol.  Yeah, I need a bigger trailer.  Problem is I live in a neighborhood with an HOA and it's got to be stored in my garage at night.  I think I can get a 6x12 to fit though.  
Amongst may others, I have a 4 x 8 trailer with a 5000 lb brake axle.  It's a converted generator trailer and really handy.  As others have advised, I'd upsize the axle to a 5K brake axle if you can.  You'll need different wheels though as the 5K axles use a 6 lug wheel.
In my area (NC) Agri-Supply stock's axle components.  You can also order nationwide from Red-Neck trailer in NC, e-trailer, Southwest Wheel if in you're in Texas.  
https://www.redneck-trailer.com/
Trailer Parts
https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Trailer_Axles.aspx
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Colonel428

Thank you sir.  I'm in NC as well.  I'll check out the Agri Supply in Monroe.

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: TroyC on March 30, 2022, 11:35:08 PMSome states require brakes on that much trailer. Most small 5x10 trailers do not have brakes.

Out here, over 1,200 pounds needs brakes!  If you are traveling between states, check the requirement for each - you take the lowest rating.

Quote from: TroyC on March 30, 2022, 11:35:08 PMAs noted earlier, your axle probably has a pad welded on it that sits on the springs. The spring pack has a pin on top that the pad sits on to prevent the axle from slipping. Generally you cannot rotate the axle without cutting and repositioning the spring pad.
You can buy spring seats for square axles (a 2" square of 1/4" steel with a hole in it) or round axles (a curved thing with a hole in it) and just weld on a new one.  Not worth, or needed, to cut the old one off.  It doesn't interfere with the U-bolts.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Colonel428

Thanks John.  I figured there was a way to make flipping the axle upside down an option.  I actually took my trailer to a repair shop today - didn't get anything done but he measured for me so I know what size axle I need.  He recommended a 6,000lb axle.  Course that means a different hub pattern and new rims.  The springs on it are 3 leaf and I'd replace those with 5 leaf.  He measured 74" hub face to hub face but evidently that's a special order size and a 3-4 week wait.  I see 73" and 75" sizes online.  Would either of those work?

TroyC

Rotating axle 180 degrees will give you a toe out instead of toe in problem. The 73" might work but it depends on the clearance between inside of tire and trailer frame. If you get the wheel too far from the spring as the 75 might do, the tires will stick out from the fenders and the fenders might cut them. Also, the farther from the spring support the tires are, the more apt the axle is to bend on a heavy load because of the excess leverage.

Don't forget longer U bolts. Your old ones from the 3 leaf springs might not be long enough.

Thank You Sponsors!