iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

8/4 oak in a solar kiln question

Started by scsmith42, July 30, 2013, 01:42:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scsmith42

I would like to dry a 1K bd ft load of 8/4 green QSWO in my VT design solar kiln, and would like some suggestions as to the best way that I should approach this.  I'm located in central NC, just outside of Raleigh, and I would be putting the load into the kiln in August.

Knowing that the kiln was designed for 1K bd ft of 4/4 WO, I'm thinking of covering 60% of the collector with a tarp to reduce the solar gain for the 8/4 QSWO.  In 60 days, as the wood dries below 35% MC I'll reduce the tarp coverage to 40%, and probably down to 20% the months after, and then when we get into the cooler months remove it all together.

After about 4 months, I'll slip the wood into my Nyle for a few days to finish it off and sterilize it.

Since this is all conjecture on my part, knowledgeable advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks much.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

This is a perfect approach.  You should do two other things.  First, monitor the temperature and make sure that it does not go over 110 F for the first month.  Second, you should probably monitor the daily moisture loss...even with the collector covered, you could vent too much and this would give you a faster-than-desired drying rate.  So, we need the vetns closed most of thway.  Note that if drying is too slow, then we will get mold and maybe even sticker stain.

For the record, the best drying technique would be to air dry this material under a partially open shed initially.  Then go into the kiln at around 35% MC.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

scsmith42

HI Gene - thanks for the feedback - especially your closing comment. 

I can definitely AD for a few months until we get below 35% MC.  If I slip it into the solar kiln at that time, do you think that I'll need to cover a portion of the collector until it dries below 25%, or would it be ok to put it in full all vents closed and full collector open?

Thanks.

Scott

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

As it will be October, unless the weather is really hot, I would go full blast.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

scsmith42

Thank You Sponsors!