iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Question about log landings

Started by lyle niemi, February 23, 2013, 08:24:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lyle niemi

I should have over a 100 loads of logs coming home soon. I was thinking on making one big landing for them, or is it better to have a few landings separated in case of fire?? I guess my answer is probably in the question..lol I would like to hear your ideas on this...Thanx

drobertson

If possible I like to seperate mine by types and lengths, makes it easier when getting around to sawing,   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

lyle niemi

Quote from: drobertson on February 23, 2013, 08:31:40 AM
If possible I like to seperate mine by types and lengths, makes it easier when getting around to sawing,   david
Yep, that would be ideal but each log truck is over 200 bucks an hour so we dont want to be messin around to much..lol

dgdrls

Good ??

Separate by species and Diameter?

If your concerned about fire you can keep a sprinkler system going?

DGDrls

bandmiller2

As Dave suggested it would be better to seperate them by species,legnth and quality, well off the ground.You've got the room Lyle it will make it easier for you later to fill orders less "shuffling the deck". Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

drobertson

lyle, I know what you mean, I almost always unload in a hurry, then go back and sort, kinda hate it but it gets the truck unloaded and gives me time to look and sort,  I like to saw from the small end of the log so it also gives me time to orient the logs this way as well. Just a time killer of sorts, but speeds up the process when I get ready to saw. 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

lyle niemi

Quote from: bandmiller2 on February 23, 2013, 08:38:58 AM
As Dave suggested it would be better to seperate them by species,legnth and quality, well off the ground.You've got the room Lyle it will make it easier for you later to fill orders less "shuffling the deck". Frank C.
If I was doing my own logging I would of sorted them in the bush but in this deal everything is all together, for sizes that is, the first bunch of logs is all spruce. The other logs I have coming is all pine.

lyle niemi

I plowed snow off about 4 acres of field yesterday and made a new access for the log trucks. There is about 2.5 feet of snow in the field and it was like pushing sugar. Under the snow there was not one bit of frost but this morning it should be a different story, Gonna fix up where the blade took a nose dive in a few places..lol

rmack

It will be interesting to hear how spruce knots affect a circular mill. I have been told they will snap the carbide tips right off a heavy bandmill blade.
the foundation for a successful life is being able to recognize what to least expect the most... (anonymous)

Welder Bob
2012 LT40HDSD35 Yanmar Diesel Triple
1972 Patrick AR-5
Massey Ferguson GC2410TLB Diesel Triple
Belsaw Boat Anchor

chevytaHOE5674

Why are you worried about fire? Think somebody is going to come along and toss a lit match on your log deck?

lyle niemi

I should be ready for logs now, got the access and the landing all plowed off

sawguy21

Looking good. Now you need to get those logs in before break up.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Meadows Miller

Gday Lyle

Thats alot of logs if they are Semi loads that would be near on 3000 m3 or ton Mate  ;) ;D ;D ;D 8) Are they treelength  and are they coming in on self loaders ???

That volume and upto 40000ton when I was working at mills here in treelength hardwood and pine we use to just pile the whole lot up with just a species seperation and sort for grade and length when we where docking them  ;)

the trick with big piles is you get less degrade esp during summer as its only realy the top logs that are copping the sun and extreme weather as Dg said water sprays are not a bad option either and worth using if you can set them up cheap enough 

As you have the space you could either just put 4 logs down as bearers and put three to six loads in each pile if you want to keep em seperated somewhat the 4 or more logs also mean you can  just pull them out onto the front of the deck and dock them without shifting them completely to another docking area it also means you can do your segregation there for grade and lengths and put what you are not chasing into a storage pile till you need them Mate

I assume this is for your matting job and that the log are from land clearing seeing as they are all coming in one hit Mate  ???

Regards Chris

4TH Generation Timbergetter

Brucer

Quote from: chevytaHOE5674 on February 24, 2013, 09:37:02 AM
... Think somebody is going to come along and toss a lit match on your log deck?

In Valleyview it's more likely to be windblown fire brands from a wildfire (aka "forest fire").

It's something we have to take seriously here in Western Canada.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Thank You Sponsors!