iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New to forum and milling

Started by Philbo, April 23, 2014, 10:45:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dboyt

Great photos.  I've never seen wedges stacked up like that.  That tree must have had a log of lean or heavy on one side.  Welcome to the forum.  I've got a feeling that we're going to learn a lot from you, too.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Philbo

Quote from: dboyt on May 08, 2014, 10:07:18 AM
Great photos.  I've never seen wedges stacked up like that.  That tree must have had a log of lean or heavy on one side.  Welcome to the forum.  I've got a feeling that we're going to learn a lot from you, too.

One part of the crown was barely hung in a maple nearby and i was attempting to wedge it over bc it looked like there was hardly anything keeping it there, but...So I ended up getting a 2nd opinion after copious wedge-pounding didn't really cut it. Had to saw thru 1/2 the hinge wood and it slowly came down!

Philbo

Thought I'd update this thread a little bit.  I never did post a pic of the finished locust 6x6s.  Came out pretty well, but was a challenge to get them wane-free with the timber we had access to.  All part of the challenge with custom jobs. 

2nd pic is a mixed hardwood floor we installed in a renovation.  Pretty cool mix of species - hickory, maple, birch, beech, cherry, little bit of oak.  Still needs to be sanded and finished, but I think it will turn out really well and distinctive.

3rd pic is the inside of a yellow poplar log that I was splitting for firewood.  Never seen it quite so colorful before!  Anybody else seen that?

Last pic is some chestnut oak that we were sawing that was really nice looking (and smelling) once we got into it.  Oak is a treat to saw sometimes.

Hopefully have more good pics soon.  Up next is poplar logging, locust sawing, and oak sawing. Hope y'all enjoy!

fat olde elf

Welcome Philbo !!! Always glad to see a new Carolina sawyer on the Forum.  Cooks do make good stuff.  I have their Mp32 mill and Cats claw sharpener. Got the mill just after I "retired" 12 years ago.  Sure admire your use of the horses.  Great stuff......
Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

kelLOGg

Welcome from Durham, too. I'd like to see more pics of the log arch the horses are pulling.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Philbo

Here's a closer shot of the log cart.  Doesn't have an arch, we normally use chains or grabs on the logs and hook chain in the slots. Haven't used it much recently, as the ground we've been working on has been a bit too tight and steep for the cart.  Working mostly single (horse) at our current site.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Nice pictures.  Thanks for sharing your joy.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

A nice thing about sawing is the "once in a while surprise" you get when opening a log!  8)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Thank You Sponsors!