iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

cable drum RPM's

Started by NMFP, June 21, 2014, 07:59:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Wenrich

I was looking at a Lumber Harvester spec sheet and they are saying a 21 gpm pump and a 30 hp motor. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Mooseherder

The chain sprocket on the Ross Torqmotor  I told you about yesterday has a part number on it.
It says:  Martin 80BTB12  1615

NMFP

Excellent.  I am looking up the numbers right now.

Making a new cable drum as the old one had numerous cracks in the casting.  Using a piece of 12" well casing and a shaft.  Should work very well.

Going to go with the biggest sprocket I can find when I install the drum and then calculate the rpms after its installed.

Thanks for all the help.

Mooseherder

Here's a couple of pics for you.

NMFP

Mooseherder:

Very similar to what I am working on.  Thanks for the pictures.  I will have pictures shortly as soon as I can get my wife to take some pictures for me.  I don't have any pictures of the build process but rather, working on getting it done.

What all are you running with hydraulics?  I am planning on starting with just the cable drum being hydraulicly controlled and then moving onto a log deck, then converting the carriage to hydraulics dogs and hydraulic setworks. 

Pics help a lot to get ideas of things I should consider.

NMFP

Mooseherder

The hydraulics control the headlock and knee assemblies along with the setworks.  I'll post some pictures for you. Keep in mind that I'm still trying to put this one back together and it isn't operational just yet. 

bandmiller2

Remember these large pump gallon figures are for large commercial mills with heavy carriages and all hydraulic functions, and a carriage moving smartly. Conversion of a lighter handset carriage requires much less power. If you figure around 1/10 " cut per tooth x number of teeth that's how far the carriage will move per revolution of the saw. Some math and you should figure the carriage speed. With that choose one of the smaller gearotor type motors they will tell you GPM per speed. I think you won't require much more than 12 to 15 GPM. The sprocket and chain drive will allow you to tweek the speed. A needle valve speed adjuster will give you feed adjustment and allow full speed gigback. Personally I favor the old proven Heacock or friction drive, most dissatisfaction comes from improper belt length or adjustment. With everything right they are a joy to use and have worked  for well over 100 years. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

bandmiller2

Herder, I just read your using hydraulics on the carriage for dogging and other functions, even then you really do one thing at a time and don't need high volumes of oil. That motor you have shown us should work fine. Those 1/2" hoses you have don't like to flow much more than 15 to 20 GPM.I think you will be OK. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Mooseherder

Keep in mind I am just going with what the previous owner had set up.  I'll find out later if it is a good way to go or have to make modifications.  Here's a couple pictures of the Carriage.

Thank You Sponsors!