iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Least favorite Stihl?

Started by Josh Stihl, October 26, 2013, 09:58:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josh Stihl

Seems to me every time any one asks about a particular Stihl, at least one person will speak up about how they have/had one and it was the best saw ever.  My question is, is there a Stihl that we can all agree is just not worth collecting/fixing/running? 

sawguy21

My least favorite were the 015/020, they were miserable to work on.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

beenthere

Welcome to the Forestry Forum Josh.

From where are you coming from with the question?

New, first post... but your comment
Quoteevery time any one asks about a particular Stihl, at least one person will speak up about how they have/had one and it was the best saw ever.

makes one wonder what's up.  ??    ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

sablatnic

009 - 010 - 011 - 012! Horrible things to repair and keep running!

They didn't even "feel" like Stihls, were they made somewhere else?

thecfarm

Hey Josh,welcome to the fourm.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

tlandrum

being in the saw business I see the good and bad of every brand. ive never had a stihl that just stuck out as being more notorious than any other as far as break downs. I will say  that the clam shell saws are a pita to work on and the pro saws aren't the easiest either if comparing to other saws such as a husky pro saw.
www.wickedworksaw.com
wickedworksaw@gmail.com
Husqvarna and jonsered dealer
chainsaw porting for high production work saws

sweetjetskier

In over 20 years of owning, running and doing most repairs/maintenance on my own saws I have not a Stihl or any any other OPE that was junk, never happened.

I loved my 009, 024, 034, 036Pro, 361, 200, 201, 441c Stihl saws, if you treat them well, they run forever in my experience.

My Husqvarna and Jonsered saws have been just as reliable.

Like most will say, the most important thing is local dealer support for your OPE.

My 2 cents
Arborist, Horticulturist, Nursery and Turfgrass Professional with 27 years experience.

Josh Stihl

No hidden motive, it just seems no matter how bad someone trashes a stihl at least 1-2 people will chime in with a story about how they used to have one and it was the best saw ever... Personally I have 9 or 10 right now including parts saws and they're all awesome.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Komatsu_Mech1

Well for the two stihl's I own a MS460 and a MS390, I would have to say the MS390 sits a lot more, even than the husky I also own, but it has been pillaged with a few minor problems in the short time I have owned it.

Al_Smith

For the most part Stihl makes a good product .Now granted some of them are a pain in the buttocks to work on like the 020AV which ranks right up there with a mini mac .

For the most part though even the clam shells aren't that bad .The easiest to work on,020T/MS 200T .The Jack Russel terriers of chainsawdom .

angelo c

Funny, for me the 028 is the one i hate. And most people love them. I just have such a hard job tracking down the correct "parts" for the many different models within the same model line. Easy to work on, good runner just never sure i have the correct part for one until its on and running.
wife,kids,dog,t-shirts to prove it

angelo c

Quote from: tlandrum on October 27, 2013, 02:17:15 PM
being in the saw business I see the good and bad of every brand. ive never had a stihl that just stuck out as being more notorious than any other as far as break downs. I will say  that the clam shell saws are a pita to work on and the pro saws aren't the easiest either if comparing to other saws such as a husky pro saw.

Terry,
What makes the husky easier to work on ?
I actually feel the opposite because with almost only a T27 you can rebuild a Stihl top end ..with a husky you need a 4mm, a 5mm,t27, screw driver, the bolts don't match...i really have to pay attention to a husky where a Stihl i throw it in a box and all the screws are the same..
wife,kids,dog,t-shirts to prove it

Grimmy

From my own experience I'd have to say the MS390.  I just thought it was a dog for what I was doing and way under powered.  I know you can't equally compare them, but I stepped up to a MS660 and it probably cut my cutting time by 40%.  I ended up trading it in on a MS441C-M and glad I did.  I think it was a good brush saw, nice and light and the occasional cut of something with meat.  But to run it all day in stuff 18" or bigger, I spent a ton of time having to baby it cause it didn't have the power I needed.

I know another guy that wants the new 391 and I've tried to talk him out of it and into one a little bigger.  He cuts like I do, but he's looking at the money side of things.  Will see what he does, he hasn't made and purchases yet.

Just my $.02.

clww

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Josh Stihl. :)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

martyinmi

My least favorite Stihl would have been my 045 that I sold last winter. It started great, idled good, had descent compression(135 +), was cosmetically in very good condition, but the thing was a dog.....and a fairly heavy one at that! It was no faster than my worn out old Mac 250, and my puny little muffler modded 310 would cut circles around it.
I took it to my local dealer to find out why it was so wimp. He said it was just that saw's nature. He thought they were only supposed to run at around 10.000 rpm's.
Do not miss that one at all!
The fellow I sold it to is still using it on a fairly regular basis- maybe 2x/wk. He got it from me quite cheap and it is in his mind an awesome saw. smiley_smug01
He's originally from Ohio. Ya'll know how that bunch can be! ;) Ain't that right Uncle Al! :D
No God, No Peace
Know God, Know Peace!

LaegersATC500R

020AV PIA to work on. I have 2 of them. One of them is the first saw I bought when I started my business.
Morton Downey Jr. was a good man.

Thank You Sponsors!