iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New MS460 Stihl

Started by magic, January 01, 2004, 10:27:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magic

I am going to pick up my new MS460 Stihl this Saturday.  I am just wondering some pros and cons from you guys who have ran one.  I think I am going to run a 24" or 28" bar on it.  I cut a lot of firewood so that is my main use for it.  I would just like to know some personal experiences.  Thanks, Hope every one had a good new year.

SasquatchMan

There are cons to a 460? :)  The only thing I can think to tell you is that Stihl's break-in instructions are a bit confusing, and they make it sound like you can't use the saw without running it at idle for awhile - you don't need to (and opinion seems to be that it's bad for the saw) - just don't rev it to full throttle out of the cut until you've run a few tanks through (at leat, that was the break in instruction on my 290).  Stihl's translation (if that's what it is) is a bit hard to understand in the manual.
Senior Member?  That's funny.

Kevin

That's a good size saw at  14.5 lbs.
If the wood matches the saw I think you'll be happy.

Oregon_Rob

If you have done much looking around the chainsaw forums, there are a couple of suggestions you may have seen.
Go with the shortest bar you can get away with for the job.
Consider opening up the muffler to get more power and a cooling running saw.

On the bar, have the dealer fit the saw with different bars and decide for yourself which one feels best, as far as balance. Don't be shy about asking your dealer to do it, you will be paying him plenty for the saw. Most of all have fun and be safe out there.
 8)
Chainsaw Nerd

Frickman

Congratulations on the impending addition to your family!  My 460 is the best saw for logging I've ever run. I'm running a 20 inch bar, and it will cut 99.99% of the timber I encounter. You can cut up to 40 inch logs if you cut from both sides. I used to have an 051 with 24 inch bar for cutting big logs. I never wore out the original bar, as I rarely need a 24 inch bar, so down the road it went. Get a 20 inch bar and you won't be sorry. A fellow bought the 051 for a chain saw mill I believe.

As for the break-in period, I never do anything special for my saws. I use Stihl oil, one bottle to 2 1/2 gallons of premium gasoline, and run the saw. I've never had a problem.

One more decision you have to make is round tooth or square tooth chain. The round tooth stays sharp longer, especially where you might some dirt, but does not cut as fast. The square tooth cuts much faster, but dulls instantly when you hit dirt. The square tooth also allows you to cut more precisely than a round tooth. This is especially important when felling. If the logs are already on the ground and you are cutting them for firewood I would choose the round tooth chain.

Good luck with your saw. I hope everything works out well.

If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

jokers

What is it about guys who are attracted to the 460, then ask about it`s shortcomings after making up their minds? Sorry Magic, but you are atleast the second person to do so on this forum in the last couple of months, I`ve seen it other places also.

The 460 is a better saw than the earlier 046s which had weaker bottom ends and heavier flywheels. I agree with using the shortest bar that will do most of your cutting and I don`t see the 460 as a great saw for a 28" bar if you are cutting hardwood.

If I were to pay retail or the local market price for a Stihl saw, I would lean toward the 440. It`s a pound less, what I consider significantly cheaper and will handle a 24" bar pretty well. The 440 is a little bit more of a hotrod in my opinion.

Russ

magic

Thanks guys for all of your advice so far, I actually considered a MS440 at first, it was what I was going to get but I am getting a really good discount, so I can get the MS460 for only $20 more than MS440.  I am actually getting the MS460 for under $500 brand new, what a steal right.  I know this guy who has his own tree service and he gets a big discount from this dealer.  Thanks for the advice on the bar size too.  I will probably run a 20" or 24" most of the time, 28" was just for some bigger trees.  Thanks again.

jokers

The price you stated is interesting magic, at that price you should buy two! Dealer price here is almost $600 so of course I`m wondering what`s up. I know that Stihl gives some rental places a bigger discount than some dealers but I`ve never heard of anything like your price? You sure that it`s legit or that he didn`t mistakenly quote you for a 360?

Russ

magic

Yeah Russ, it is the MS460 alright, my friend gets a great discount because he has bought so much from this dealer.  My friend has about 30 Sthil saws, so I guess that is how the dealer repays him from all the stuff hes bought from them.  I would like to get two, not two MS460's though, I just need one of them I would like to get a smaller saw though.  Thanks Russ.

smokechaser

Here's my two cents,

We Use the 046/460 and the 044/440 for alot of our project work(pre-commercial thinning, slashing,etc) and for fires.  I have found that the 044/440 is better for power to weight ratio than the 046 and the fuel consumption is hands down better.  Now this is based on my bias that I don't like to stop sawing to fill up.  But if you have to travel long distances with a saw and carry you fuel with you it makes a difference on how much extra you have to carry.  
As far as size of timber that can be cut, I have not noticed a difference in the preformance for either saw.  
It really comes down to which saw do you really want.  I enjoy all saws
Dave

Jeff

Welcome to the Forestry Forum Smokechaser. Read yer bio. Glad to have you aboard. How did you happen to find us?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Oregon_Rob

Yes, Welcome, nice to see another Oregonian and Chainsaw enthuset on board. 8)
What work do you do this time of year?
Chainsaw Nerd

OneWithWood

I chose the MS440 for exactly the reasons smokechaser cited.  I have not regretted the decision.

Welcome to the forum smokechaser :)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

smokechaser

Well Lets see,
I found this site after cruising the net looking for info on a couple of the saws that I've been rebuilding.  I also am a member on the aboriste site.  
As far as what I do this time of year, I am the Fuels Technician at the Sisters Ranger District.  So I'm writing burn plans and getting thinning and slashing work lined up for the coming summer.  
On my free time though I spend alot of time out in my shed playing around with my saws.
What a way to spend a day. ;D
Dave

Thank You Sponsors!