iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

creeping red fescue

Started by GlennCz, July 30, 2014, 08:47:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GlennCz

is creeping red fescue my best choice to re-seed my dirt roads after logging operation is over?  i want something short.

Southside

What do you have for soils?  Clay, rocky, shallow?  What are your goals for the property, deer, erosion control, etc?  How open is the canopy and how dry is it there in the summer?  Fescue is a cool season grass that will go dormant in the heat of the summer, especially if the sun is baking it, so maybe a mixture with a warm season and some clover to make it self sustaining and remain lush longer. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

GlennCz

Quote from: Southside logger on July 30, 2014, 10:46:21 PM
What do you have for soils?  Clay, rocky, shallow?  What are your goals for the property, deer, erosion control, etc?  How open is the canopy and how dry is it there in the summer?

Hmmm.  It's not clay.  I'll give a 3/10 in general as being rocky.  Don't know what to say about how shallow it is.  Not worried about the deer at all.  Yes, erosion control is very impt.  Not only rain, but i'll be having firewood cutters in this fall, and it'll be getting wet again. 

Half my property is logged and I want to start seeding those roads.  Logging improved and smoothed out the roads because we've been moderately dry here, but not really a drought.  Don't even see a need to back blade it.  I don't like the long grass to walk and quad on.  I want it short.

I did this before.  The grass naturally didn't grow too good where the canopy was tight overhead, like in the hemlocks.  But it's a mix.  I have about 3 miles of drivable road snaking around.

Clark

Around here clover is a common choice for seeding in logging roads. The deer and grouse feed on it and it never needs to be mowed if you want it short.

You're going to have problem seeding in areas shaded by hemlock.  Your best bet might be needles (naturally from the trees or bring 'em in) or some other "woodland waste" that could be spread in those areas.

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

Southside

Try looking into Weeping Love Grass, it will do well in the dry soil and warm weather when the fescue shuts down.  I would also mix in some red (arrow leaf) and white clover as they will grow at more or less opposite times and keep things green.  The love grass is used for erosion control and works well in poor soils, it is a fine grass and does not stand up tall but lays over as it is fine stemmed.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

GlennCz

thanks for the seed tips.  I'm going to find some of that and throw it into the mix.  Perfect logging weather right now, nice and dry. 

Thank You Sponsors!