iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husky 353 & 346xp needle bearing maint

Started by Bobcat_pa, January 11, 2004, 08:03:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobcat_pa

Manual says "has to be greased regulary (once a week").  I had my 353 apart last week and I certainly see this little part can benefit from lubing.  But this is not a one minute job, so I am wondering if other Husky users are really doing this maint.  Can it get enough oil thrown off from the chain to be lubed properly ?      I just check Husky's website and I see the big boys (372xp, 385xp, ...) are also designed using this part.     Bob

jokers

Hi Bobcat,

The "once weekly" standard equates to about 30 - 40 hrs run time, so however long it takes you to log that much use is what you should be aware of.

I`ve never seen a chain oiler lubricate the clutch bearing, in fact centrifugal force throws the grease and oil out from there.

Some of the Huskies have a hole in the end of the crankshaft that will allow you to pump grease into the bearing without disassembly. I honestly can`t remember if these models do. I usually just grease the bearing when I am changing a rim. The only time that the bearing is in use is when the saw is idling with the clutch disengaged.

All saws have these bearings.

Russ

qatanlison

Bobcat, use the grease-pump, order number 501 91 14-01 and pump into the hole in the end of the crankshaft, all you'll have to do is to remove the clutch-cover :) -

jjmk98k

I was wondering the same thing as my 350 says to repack it daily as well.  

this grease gun thing, that's a Husqvarna part number?
Jim

Warminster PA, not quite hell, but it is a local phone call. SUPPORT THE TROOPS!

CWS

You can use the same gun that's used to grease your bar tips. I try to keep from shooting too much in there, as it seems to keep things from wanting to move in the cold. I usually give it about half a pump. I don't grease my bar tips at all though......

Scott

qatanlison

It's the Husky part number - and it's used for both bar tips and needle bearing.

/Ola

IndyIan

On my 372 I've also got a hole in the end of the crankshaft which I thought would take grease to the needle bearings...  

Nope, its just a hole ???  I just pop the cir-clip off and pull everything off and grease it that way.  Doesn't take too long if you don't let the cir-clip get away!

Ian

Bobcat_pa

Summary: NEVER DOUBT Jokers and Q..  

They both referred to the "hole in the end of the crankshaft".  
After work, I quickly removed the clutch-cover, and YES, there is such an opening.    BUT, I had some concern because this would be worthless without another hole in the crankshaft stem in the vicinity of this needle bearing.   It was so good to see that all those years of computer logic was transfering to my old passion for chain saws.  So, I got out my Husky tools and removed the clutch.  There REALLY IS a grease opening in the crankshaft positioned in the middle of the needle bearing.     THANKS--bob

rebocardo

With my 365 they SHOW greasing through the crank, but, when you take the bearing off (after wondering why the grease is not going anywhere) you see there is no hole for the grease to reach the bearing!

Bobcat_pa

I extended a bid compliment to Jokers for his tech knowledge.  Now that was four days ago and no one has heard from him since.  Poor guy is afraid to show up because some of you will pounce on his next tech exchange.    On a serious note--PA is COLD.      bob

jokers

Hi Bobcat,

Yes you did offer me a rather large, and appreciated compliment. Now I don`t know if I can live up to it. :-[  ;D.

I do hope to be helpful where I can, but I am also only one amongst many here who can provide a knowledgable answer now and then. Don`t forget that you also gave me some very good insight in a personal e-mail awhile back.

If anyone wants to jump on me, I probably deserve it.  ;D

Been very cold here also, calculated wind chill at -50°F, 20mph wind and -11° F temp.Lucky for me that I`ve been mostly inside.

Mr. Charm and Wit

Fish

I have a nightly dream of jumping on Russ, and it gets better
every night.
   Personally, greasing the sprocket bearing is silly, as it only
fails is when something foreign gets wound in there.  Yes,
I grease the bearing while it is out, otherwise I ignore it,
and there is no problem.
   Whether or not you use synthetic grease is your own
problem.
      Fish
FISH

Bobcat_pa

Guess i over reacted to the proper care of this part.  I am a "maintenance guy" and when I first looked at the flimsy little part, I thought it needed some serious maintenance.  Now I know it really does not get used very much & a touch of grease every 40 hrs will do the job.  THANKS for the input/education--Bob.

Minnesota_boy

Grease every 40 hours???  I've never greased mine and I've never had one fail!  :o :o  Of course, I've only worn out about 5 saws so far. :D
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Kevin

I'll give it grease once in awhile but my bar oil seems to do a good job of keeping it lubed.
They suggest more maintenance in wet weather.
If it picks up moisture then sits it could damage the bearing or bushing.

Thank You Sponsors!