iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Smoked pork loin

Started by 21incher, April 30, 2015, 08:24:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

21incher

Fired up the Trager yesterday and smoked a pork loin. Brined it for 24 hours and it came out tasty, tender, and moist.  I think pork is my favorite meat anymore when smoked with hickory. Split a onion and smoked that also.

:)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Raider Bill

That's a pretty smoke ring.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.
My advice on aging gracefully... ride fast bikes and date faster women, drink good tequila, practice your draw daily, be honest and fair in your dealings, but suffer not fools. Eat a hearty breakfast, and remember, ALL politicians are crooks.

Chuck White

Just got done eating supper, but those pics still make me hungry.

Really looks tasty!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

21incher

Quote from: Chuck White on April 30, 2015, 06:06:26 PM
Just got done eating supper, but those pics still make me hungry.

Really looks tasty!
It was real tasty again tonight. If you were a little closer I would bring you some. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

4x4American

I too just got done eating dinner and man does that look good!  My favorite to do with pork leftovers is put them in a sandwich for tomorrow at work.  Tastes great cold on a sandwich with fixins'
Boy, back in my day..

thecfarm

That does look good. We just started to sell them at work. The dealer came here and did some smoking for us.  ;D   Not enough smiles for that!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Woodhauler

Treager is the cats meow!!!
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

Weekend_Sawyer

Quote from: Raider Bill on April 30, 2015, 09:35:28 AM

That's the first thing I thought, very nice looking smoke ring!

Can you tell us about your brining process?

Thanks
Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

21incher

Quote from: thecfarm on May 01, 2015, 07:15:19 AM
That does look good. We just started to sell them at work. The dealer came here and did some smoking for us.  ;D   Not enough smiles for that!!!
They work great and are extremely easy to use. The smoke flavor is much lighter tasting then when I use my regular smoker with hardwood, but that is how my wife likes it. They seem to be a big seller around here since Runnings opened up last year and introduced them into the area.

Quote from: Weekend_Sawyer on May 01, 2015, 08:16:21 AM
Quote from: Raider Bill on April 30, 2015, 09:35:28 AM

That's the first thing I thought, very nice looking smoke ring!

Can you tell us about your brining process?

Thanks
Jon
I just take a gallon of water add a cup of hard cider, 1/2 cup of kosher salt, a couple of spoons of bells seasoning (sage), black pepper, onion flakes, and garlic powder. Put it in a stainless pot with the meat and place it in the fridge for at least 12 hours. It keeps the pork from drying out and adds a nice flavor. :)

greenforestyy

mmm pork loin is my favvv  http://www.cookinglight.com/food/recipe-finder/healthy-pork-tenderloin-recipes < this is how i like to do mine ( ive done it acouple of times and it tastest pretty good) my niece loves it

greenforestyy

i gotta pic of it i made pork loin last week , doesn anyone know how i can add apic without having to post any long link, it looks ugly and like giberish lol especially the facebook links

beenthere

If it is your pic, then put it in your gallery. Pics in your post are backed up in your gallery, and the protocol is if it is in your gallery, there is a post that uses that pic. Not to be used as a depository of our pics.

And welcome to the Forestry Forum.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WV Sawmiller

That's a real pretty piece of meat there. I may have to try smoking one. I bought 3 yesterday when I found them on sale at local grocery store for $1.88/lb. Can't go wrong at that price. Good on rotisserie, cut into steaks, seasoning in a crock pot full of peas or beans. Just about any way you fix them are good and almost no waste.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

21incher

Well after only 9 months of owning my Traeger grill I tried to smoke another pork loin and after 3 hours the grill went out of control and I think the pellets in the box started on fire and it got so hot you can barely touch it. It also made a puffing sound and blew the lid partially open. Looks like it toasted the wires between the pellet box and grill. Made a video and sent it to Trager https://youtu.be/pG_hOV-ilco . I am afraid to use it again and want them to have someone look at it. I hope they have good customer support. The pork came out looking good but had a real nasty taste. :)

WDH

Your first loin looks great.  One of my favorites, as well.  Sprinkling on a little crushed rosemary prior to grilling adds a nice touch, too. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

sawguy21

Pork loin has to be one of the best cuts around. That looks awfully good, never tried it smoked.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

21incher

I have to say that I no longer recommend buying Trager smokers. Back to the Weber for me.

Weekend_Sawyer

I take it their customer support was not up to your expectations.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

21incher

Quote from: Weekend_Sawyer on June 10, 2015, 07:02:35 AM
I take it their customer support was not up to your expectations.
First they told me that it went out and then I must have relit it without cleaning out the pellets which didn't happen. No one was near it when this happened. Then I was told that using the 180 degrees setting for smoking could have caused the fire because the grill is not meant to run at 180 for long periods. They told me to use the smoke setting which varies between 160 & 200 degrees for smoking. I tried to explain to them that 160 is to low a min FDA smoker temp for uncooked meat so that is why I use 180 degrees for pork and 225 for beef and poultry. They also had me adjust a "P" setting on the controller because my 225 setting had somehow started running around 200 degrees which could keep the auger running and cause high temps in the unit. They offer email and phone support only. There are no service locations to take their product to for testing or repair if there is a problem so you wind up wasting a lot of time. So here I sit with a expensive smoker I no longer trust to run on its own and it has no safety to prevent it from burning up and they now tell me I cannot use it at the temperatures I bought it to smoke at. It is very sensitive to wind so I have had to run it in my garage in the past to keep the temperature steady, but now after having it go up to almost 500 degrees on its own and light the pellets in the hopper on fire I can see that is no longer a option. Also that hopper got so hot it would burn your skin off if any of my grandchildren would have touched it to help me add pellets. Do a search on Traeger fire and you will see I am not the only one that has had a problem with one burning. :)

LeeB

As much as I hate government intervention, sounds like time to drop a dime(old saying) if there are that many fires caused by failures in the design.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

21incher

Quote from: LeeB on June 14, 2015, 08:13:59 AM
As much as I hate government intervention, sounds like time to drop a dime(old saying) if there are that many fires caused by failures in the design.
I went to the CPSD site and see there is already a complaint on file for the same grill I have with the same problem so I will be adding my grill to their list and hopefully can get others to also. :)

beenthere

What is the "CPSD site" ?

Seems to me, given the variability in wood pellets, that such a smoker would be very difficult to control. What are the manuals given suggestions for having a stable smoke?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

21incher

Quote from: beenthere on June 14, 2015, 03:07:51 PM
What is the "CPSD site" ?

Seems to me, given the variability in wood pellets, that such a smoker would be very difficult to control. What are the manuals given suggestions for having a stable smoke?
I'm sorry CPSC. Consumer Product Safety Commission. The instructions say set the temp ( any temp you want ) and forget it. The service fellow said this could happen if the 180 deg setting is used for smoking and the temp dropped to low ( not mentioned in the manual ). The digital controller is supposed to handle it, which it did pretty good up to now. When the grill went out of control overheating and the pellets in the hopper started to burn with no way to shut it down but go thru a shutdown cycle is the part that scares me. There was actually a small explosion that blew the lid open about 4 inches spitting out smoke and dust. At one point that hopper got so hot you could get burned bad if you touched what is supposed to be a cool section of the grill. I just don't trust it anymore.

nmericle53

I buy my pork loin at Walmart (no free advertisement intended) because they have 2 in a package for about $10 or so. I rub brown sugar and pour in a little bit of coke. They always come out great. This smoked one made my mouth water. Good job.
Thank you GOD for blessing me much more than I deserve.

MattJ

21incher, I have a pellet grill (Pit Boss) and wondered how long you smoked the loin?  I would like to try that.  I've done pizza's, texas brisket and pork shoulders, but wanted to try something more lean.  Did you wrap it in the process with foil or anything?

Good luck with getting your issues resolved.

Matt

Thank You Sponsors!