iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

drying wood in basement with Home Depot home dehumidifier?

Started by DPForumDog, September 26, 2015, 11:53:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DPForumDog

We tried an experiment and are drying some pieces of red oak  (3x9x100)in our basement with a regular home dehumidifier.   We are having great success  (fast) according to the moisture meter.   What are the disadvantages of drying wood this way.

I had heard insects might be a problem, but so far I have seen no evidence of bugs.

All discussion appreciated.

Granny DP
DPForumDog
Granny DP
DP Forum Dog
lumber pro hd 36

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

The risk is that the huge amount of moisture could raise the basement humidity and cause corrosion, but with only a few pieces and a working DH, you are likely ok.  The moisture released is fairly acetic...with acetic acid, so some corrosion is possible anyway.

You already know about insects.

The final MC for interior uses is generally around 7.0% MC, which means the basement needs to be about 26% RH.  This can be hard to achieve with a DH in a basement in your climate.  In a basement, the RH with a DH might be closer to 40% RH, which means 9% MC is more likely.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

DPForumDog

So its not bad for the wood?  I was thinging it was going to fast.

Now I am scared of the insect issue.    I had my husband remove the wood and we bug bombed the basement.

Thanks
Granny DP
DP Forum Dog
lumber pro hd 36

Thank You Sponsors!