iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Very rare ERC

Started by okmulch, July 05, 2023, 03:45:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

okmulch

An order came in to cedarman for 4 eastern red cedar beams 11 inches by 16 inches by 20 foot long. With all the logs he gets in at his mill he didn't have any that big. Who would? That's a tall order to fill, it would take a 20 inch diameter log at 20 foot to saw these out. Are there even ERC trees out there that big, that are sound, straight and have no major defects.  As luck would have it i had a job site in western Oklahoma that we had cut last august and still had a lot of big trees not cut to length yet and we were still grinding mulch on. (In another thread I had pictures of these logs going to a sawmill in Kansas to make 8 inch wide tongue and groove.)
I had 6 possible candidates for this order but could only fit 5 on my trailer to bring home. 

This was about all this trailer wanted. A few of these logs are 25 foot long and would need trimmed to fit on the LT 40. 
When trimming one of the logs it turned out to have rot in it so now I am down to 4 logs at the mill. 

So far so good! All logs came out solid and the size we needed. 

I have sawed and ground into mulch millions of eastern red cedar trees in my lifetime and never have come across 4 trees on one property that would saw out beams this big, let alone 1 log on the hundreds of properties I have cleared to make a beam this size. This is truly a once in a lifetime find and order to fill with eastern red cedar. 
I also have several 2x16x 20 foot long jacket boards. 

It took me and my boys and one other helper 2 hours to saw all four logs on a non hydraulic LT40. We did encounter 3 scorpions under the bark of the last log but everything else went as planned. I wish everyone could see these in person because the pics do not do them justice! 
Rotochopper b66 track, #2 Rotochopper b66 track, woodmizer lt40, CAT 277b, CAT 268b, CAT 287c, CAT 277c, CAT299d2, CAT299d3, CAT 299d3, Volvo 70e,volvo70f, volvo90f

Magicman

Congratulations.  Those are truly beauties and yes, rare indeed!!!  8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Southside

Just curious if you were able to get an idea on the age of those monsters. Were they woods or open grown? That is amazing for sure.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Old Greenhorn

Holy Cow! I never really would have though that was even possible. Tall order indeed, as I read along I thought 'yeah, nice logs but when they open them they will find the usual ERC conditions' but you guys pulled it of. That's amazing. Those jacket boards should bring a heck of a premium too! Wish I could afford one, I'd love to work with it.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Resonator

And solid wood... no rot! :o 
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

okmulch

Southside these are most likely pre Land run trees. They were in a long valley with some large mixed hardwoods. This is the picture of after we took all the cedar out of an area. Not many fires ever reached this area to damage old trees. There is an old cabin in this valley that had been built out of cedar logs that is still used by owner today that was used long ago for cattle drive. Also a small creek runs through this bottom that is spring fed and is why the cabin is there. More water is now flowing since all of the cedars are gone now.  

This area was solid,  with all sizes of cedar trees before we started you couldn't see through it all. This place was cut with a tigercat feller a grapple skidder pulled them up the hill and our front end loader stacked them in rows to dry so we could come back and grind them.  

Rotochopper b66 track, #2 Rotochopper b66 track, woodmizer lt40, CAT 277b, CAT 268b, CAT 287c, CAT 277c, CAT299d2, CAT299d3, CAT 299d3, Volvo 70e,volvo70f, volvo90f

moodnacreek

I have never seen them that big. Once I got 4 8' fat and sound the butt log was 24" small end. Another time I got 4 16 footers around 16" diameter. I planked those at 2" round edge, put on sticks for a few years and sold them for over $1000 last year.    I have a saying; I never loose money on cedar or walnut.

caveman

Thank you for sharing the pictures and the story on those beams.  I like cedar trees but that area out in Oklahoma looks a lot more like it is supposed to after y'all do your thing.  

We may have encountered one cedar log that would have made one of those beams.  It came from a plantation north of Eufaula, Alabama.  We cut it along a wooded fence line near the remnants of an old slave house.  
Caveman

thecfarm

I am glad I checked this thread out.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Nebraska

Wow I can't remember ever seeing  Red Cedars  anywhere close to that big.  Made the few I cut last last week look like tooth picks.

SawyerTed

Wow!  I've only seen a handful of cedars near that size   
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

customsawyer

Those are sure enough some of best of the best. If I was asked for those timbers I would have had to switched the customer to cypress.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Magicman

Or Oak or SYP.  It's rare for me to see many 20' logs that are 20"+ on the top end.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Southside

Honestly I would have suggested Sweet Gum as the likely only contender around here, and that's not a good thing. 
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

barbender

That's funny, I was just thinking that Sweetgum would've made you a good username.
Too many irons in the fire

Southside

JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

never finished

I guess I have not been truthful when I've told people that's just not possible. Now I wish I hadn't seen this post. 

okmulch

Quote from: never finished on July 06, 2023, 03:52:16 PM
I guess I have not been truthful when I've told people that's just not possible. Now I wish I hadn't seen this post.
I am sorry I made a liar out of you.  :) 
I know I have told customers the same thing many times also,  ERC just doesn't get that big without defects and rot. 

moodnacreek

Back when the Southern Lumberman was in print I read it because it was all about sawmills. In the back each month was a page '100 years ago this month'.  One month they had an article about e.r.c. [100 years back]. It said that the red cedar in western Tenn. was growing back. The writer, he must of been an old man, described the original growth and how there was so much they used it as if it was common framing lumber. I presume where this was true that was what they had growing where needed. While not a strong wood it's lack of shrinkage and longevity make it very special.

TimW

I felt special getting a 24 inch butt ERC that long.  But WOWSERS......................5 from the same place?
That is epic!
           hugs,  Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

doc henderson

Well my buddy Mike and I got to see the beams and operation first hand, here in Stillwater, OK.  Thanks Aaron for the tour and hospitality.  We got to wash red clay off our boots after seeing his fantastic operation.  

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

dairyguy

Those are some impressive sized beams considering the typical OK rainfall.

sealark37

The remarkable thing is that the owner paid you to get rid go these logs.  My customer would have said, "I really didn't want any white wood on my beams."

okmulch

Doc Henderson glad you and Mike could stop by and see a little of what we do! Wish we could have fired the grinder up and ran a few trees through and made some mulch but Mother Nature hasn't been cooperating much this last week. (This would be where the red clay came from). Next time you are down we will have to road-trip to Oklahoma City and tour our production facility and  warehouse. That is where most of the magic happens with the hammer mills and bagging lines. 

Brad_bb

Those are something else.  Given that they don't typically grow to make good beams that big, as the framer I would have talked them into switching to something else for those, which I assume are tie beams.  Maybe Western red cedar or doug fir.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

okmulch

As of right now, I believe they are going to the Omaha zoo. I will find out more specifics when the customer picks them up this week. 
They are also taking 20-13 in diameter 12 foot logs with the beams. The pic Doc Henderson took of the logs on the trailer are some of them. 

Cedarman

I have been supplying this contractor for quite a few years.  Normally I would have suggested he use WRC. Since I knew we had these big logs and they were sound and we were waiting for the right application,  I said we could make them along with other materials he wanted.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

okmulch

Well the beams were picked up this afternoon along with a load of logs to be made into columns using a lathe-mizer. 

The final resting place will be at the Omaha zoo for the orangutan exhibit. These rare ERC beams will be in a great place for many to enjoy! We are working towards having a plaque installed explaining how rare the beams are for their size and species and a little history where they came from. We are glad to be a small part in this adventure and glad that these trees will make it to a good home. 

barbender

I'm glad to hear you'll be making a plaque that points out the rarity of the timber in this species. Also that they will be on display with orangutans hanging off of them!😊
Too many irons in the fire

Walnut Beast

Excellent and nice job! Top zoo in the world! Exactly what Barbender said! Totally agree. 

okmulch

Here is a picture of some of the exhibit the beams and logs were used in at the Omaha zoo. They are still finishing up the orangutan exhibit. Should be completed next week.

Nebraska

Geez now I'm gonna have to run down there and look now that I know the story on those.

customsawyer

It's always cool when you get to see where your product is used.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

doc henderson

I knew them before they were famous!   8) 8) 8)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

WV Sawmiller

And here I was wondering what they'd look like after the buyer painted them. :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Thank You Sponsors!