iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

chipper/shredder for around the house

Started by mountaineer, May 27, 2009, 08:23:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mountaineer

hello folks.

i need a chipper for around the house. something under a grand but would prefer around 600-750$ does anyone have one they like? it needs to take 3" limbs. thx

rebocardo

I have been using a customer's Troy-Built Tomahawk. It does pretty well, but, if you want to do three inch limbs you really have to step up to the $2000 range chippers. You can do straight 2" limbs if you do not mind the vibration with the Troy-Built, the 3" totally gags it. Maybe pine would be okay in the 3" range.

LeeB

I had one for a while. 10hp B/S. Bought it at TSC so I guess it was a Husky. Supposed to be good for up to 3". Gave it away after a coule years. It did ok with stuff up to about 1 1/2".
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

John Woodworth

The problem I've had with these chippers that are suposed to take 2 or 3" limbs is you just about have to prune the whole limb to get it to feed and fight the kinks. Made up my mind my next will be 6" minium.
Two Garret 21 skidders, Garret 10 skidder, 580 Case Backhoe, Mobile Dimension sawmill, 066, 046 mag, 044, 036mag, 034, 056 mag, 075, 026, lewis winch

Ironwood

My experience is that less expensive "chippers" are NOT worth owning. I got one on barter from an estate near by (three point hitch style) and even it was unimpressive. I recently passed on an older drum chipper (6 cylinder Ford) for a $1000 bucks, probably should have bought it and used it around the house. I just drag them to the burn pit now. In my dreams a home chipper exists, I think it will stay there ::)

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

mike_van

Many aren't chippers, even though they are advertised that way. Inside you'll find a screen & hammermill type setup. The hammers have to beat the snot out of whatever you stuff in there untill it's small enough to go through the screen. 3" in these things?   No way......... 
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

rebocardo

> Many aren't chippers, even though they are advertised that way

Yep, really shredders and I have seen them grenade when people stuffed big stuff in there.

The Tomahawk actually has a flywheel and chipper blades.

isawlogs

I have the Tomyhawck chipper/shredder it does both , top side is for shredding , it does well at that , side part is a chipper , up to 3 inches , that needs be looked at a little . It will do 3 inches , I do with mine , but , it best not be too much of the 3 inces in the pile and you best have trimed up the knots on the bigger peices . That being said , I use mine a lot around the house it does what it is sold to do . If you are looking for something more then around the house chipping get a bigger unit , if ocasional is what you will do , then go for it .
  I have three knives for mine , it is a good idea if you get one to get extra knives , not hard to replace , and not hard to sharpen ....
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

maple flats

First I got a 2" chipper vac, real joke. Then I had a 4" rated chipper with 3 knives. Did straight stuff good but hard to feed branched stuff. Went to a 6.5" and much better. These second 2 are both 3 PH on a 25 horse tractor, PTO powered, manual feed. Not likely to find one for $700 but it never hurts to keep looking.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Thank You Sponsors!