iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Head Raising Mechanisms - descriptions

Started by slowzuki, September 30, 2004, 07:03:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slowzuki

On the WM, the weight can be carried by one of these units.  My carriage would need two that are kept in sync.

QuoteKen,
Since you have AC available, why not look into just duplicating the WM version?  Reducers are relatively cheap, same for the motors.  The best part is that method is already proven.

http://www.surpluscenter.com/sort.asp?numrec=20&lastrec=60&sort=1&keyword=PGRC&catname=powerTrans&UID=2004100122413279

If you need some help figuring out how to size your reducer, let me know and we'll work it out.  Else iff please keep us informed on what you decide to go with.

Percy

Just to confuse things more ;D ;D I seen a fourpost mill that had a similar lift setup as my fork lift. The hydralic cylinder was mounted with a sprocket on the top and the lift chain went over it, point being, a 15 inch travel cylinder gave him 30 inches of lift. It was slick. Just checkout a hydralic forklift for ideas.... ;D ;D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Larry

Picture of how Kasco set up their carriage.  4 post type arrangement.  In 10 years I have never had to adjust anything on it but I am just a part time sawyer.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Danny_S

Slowzuki, do you have the cables directly hooked to the head of the mill like I had it or do they go to the head, through a pulley and back up to the top of the frame like a snatch block assembly on a winch.

This would slow down the head raising wich may make it more precise, and should cut down on the full load on the spring shouldnt it?? Or is my head still asleep and not thinking right.....
Plasma cutting at Craig Manufacturing

slowzuki

Danny, the wire is through the pulley on the head so I'm at 2x power already ;D

Percy, I've got the drawings at home of what you speak of on the sketches I had for a cantalever mill but it won't package into the mill I built :(

GF

Does anyone have photos from a woodmizer lift system, I have never seen one before and was just curious as to how theres look?

Danny_S

Probably get an overhead crane at St. Anne p + p cheap...... ;)
Plasma cutting at Craig Manufacturing

slowzuki

I don't have a photo but picture double roller chain hanging from top of cariage.  The chain goes around an idler, 90 deg wrap, back to the drive sprocket, does a 180 deg wrap on the drive back to another idler with 90 deg wrap then out the bottom inline with the top piece of chain.  A worm gear reduction unit drives it.

Ken

QuoteDoes anyone have photos from a woodmizer lift system, I have never seen one before and was just curious as to how theres look?

GF

Thats what I had pictured, wonder if a chain has ever broke? Maybe so in the past thats why they use double.  

slowzuki

There have been descriptions of fitting the double chain to the older single chain models when adding a debarker.  I read of a shaft on the worm gear reducer breaking off on a FF member.

Thank You Sponsors!