iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Triangular cant

Started by rimshot, May 30, 2013, 07:28:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

How did da triangle cant go  ???
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

rimshot

How did da triangle cant go  ??? (Majicman)
===========

That's one of those jobs that is just still in the conception phase, Majicman.  first thing after reviewing some geometry class I took back in the 60's and this very thread I will need to find out what kind of triangle he is expecting. 

I will also let him pick a nice cedar log from the load (2 1/2 cords of White Cedar) I have coming.  I hope he's happy with an eight or ten footer for his totem pole.  If not I have some stunning Eastern White Cedar growing back in my woods.  I measured one up yesterday that measured 76" in diameter. but wait I was going to cut that tree for some nice boards.  It seems to me the diameter of the first butt log is going to be somewhere around 22" or so won't it.    I'm thinking that will about max out  my lt10.  That is a nice Tree for  White Cedar.

I am going to go take a picture of that tree right now nd when I do this triangle thing I will be sure to fly up some pics.

rim 
LT 10 with a 10 h.p. and a converted boat trailer to provide mobility for a once permanent mill.

Magicman

Quote from: rimshot on June 02, 2013, 01:06:56 PMI measured one up yesterday that measured 76" in diameter. 
:o  Over 6' diameter is a whopping big tree.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

rimshot

Has something changed with the upload picture process?. I'm not able to fly this picture up

rim
LT 10 with a 10 h.p. and a converted boat trailer to provide mobility for a once permanent mill.

beenthere

:D
Not sure what "fly this up" means, but there are about 5 pics in your gallery added today.

From that point, when in your post at the message box, click on "Click here to add Photos to Post" and then get your gallery pic up, scroll down below it to see a couple ways to get it then in your post, or "fly it up"  ;D

I'm sure curious as to when totem poles started to be triangular. Must be a new fad?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

rimshot

trying one more time, whew!  Anyway my labrador, Sparky got into this picture so viewers can get a better perspective of the size of this Cedar.

This tree is destined to not be a totem pole.  It is really sound also with no evidence of  a hollow bottom.  The 75" circumference was measured above the root bell.

Beenthere: I did not think INdian totem poles had to be triangles either.

dboyt

Here's another geometry lesson; diameter is the distance around the tree, and circumference is the distance straight through it.  To get the diameter, divide the circumference by 3.14 (just round to 3 for estimating). I wish I could get customers to understand that.  I don't know how many times someone would call me about a 36" diameter walnut tree, and when I get there, find that they measured the circumference, and it is only 12" diameter.  They still want $5,000 for it, though.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Nomad

Quote from: dboyt on June 03, 2013, 10:15:28 AM
Here's another geometry lesson; diameter is the distance around the tree, and circumference is the distance straight through it.  To get the diameter, divide the circumference by 3.14 (just round to 3 for estimating). I wish I could get customers to understand that.  I don't know how many times someone would call me about a 36" diameter walnut tree, and when I get there, find that they measured the circumference, and it is only 12" diameter.  They still want $5,000 for it, though.

GOTCHA!!!  ;D
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

beenthere

Quotediameter is the distance around the tree, and circumference is the distance straight through it.

Sorry;  Maybe have those switched around?? 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

GDinMaine

Quote from: beenthere on June 03, 2013, 11:13:27 AM
Quotediameter is the distance around the tree, and circumference is the distance straight through it.

Sorry;  Maybe have that switched around??

I was thinking the same thing.  On the other hand Dyslexics have more FNU.
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: GDinMaine on June 03, 2013, 12:06:39 PM

Sorry;  Maybe have that switched around??

I was thinking the same thing.  On the other hand Dyslexics have more FNU.

I always thought that was Dyslexics have more NUF...

Herb

MSSawmill

Sorry;  Maybe have those switched around??

Yeah, he got the terms wrong in that sentence, but then got the formula right in the next one! :)

Circumference - distance around a circle
Diameter - length of a straight line from one side of a circle to the other and going through the exact center of the circle
Radius - distance from the exact center of the circle to any point on the circle

Radius = r
Diameter = d
Circumference = C
Pi = Π = (about) 3.14

d = 2r
C = Πd =2Πr

And just for fun,
Area of a circle - amount of space contained inside a circle (square inches,  for example)
A =Πr^2

Too much of a math geek in school and then married a girl with a degree in it! :)
Home-built bandsaw mill
2004 Kubota M110 with LA1301 loader

dboyt

Yeh, I switched them.  Not enuff coffee.  Now, professor, the volume of a truncated cone (in board feet) is...
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

beenthere

What kerf?

Formulas are abound in the pub here.
A Collection of Log Rules

http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/fplgtr/fplgtr01.pdf
south central Wisconsin

Thank You Sponsors!