iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Blade cleaning logs

Started by WV Sawmiller, April 12, 2016, 06:52:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

Okay, I confess. I am not the world's greatest at cleaning my blades. I sawed some ash last week and had some sap build up left on the blade. Its still cutting good so have not changed it yet. Yesterday and today I cut some buckeye. Real soft white wood, sawdust looks like sugar and very fine. I cut thin boards yesterday to try out for wood burning and today I sawed a 6' buckeye about 12" in diameter in half to make a couple of benches. I also sawed an 8"X 8' green locust post into quarter rounds for some bench legs. Anyway, when I took the blade off the saw tonight to put it up I noticed nearly all the sap was gone. It looks like a brand new blade again. I'll check closer in the future to confirm that the buckeye is what did such a good job cleaning the blade but I'm pretty sure that's what did it. Its a wood I don't cut often as it doesn't really get particularly big and there is not much of a market for it that I have found. Most of what I cut in the past was just to practice a particular type of cut like making rails or such.

Anybody else ever notice certain woods actually cleaning your blades?
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

drobertson

dry ERC, anything really that's dried out a little, expect pine, SYP,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

ozarkgem

Dave would be right on the ERC. Never a dirty blade.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

Chuck White

Ash really leaves a bad residue on the blade, when sawing, use plenty of blade lube
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: Chuck White on April 12, 2016, 10:35:58 PM
Ash really leaves a bad residue on the blade, when sawing, use plenty of blade lube
Agreed. I use dish soap in water and it is not enough. Have not tried using diesel yet. Looks like maybe I just need to keep me a nice buckeye log there and slice off a couple thin cuts at the end of each day.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Brad_bb

So in WV you have green Ash trees?  Not affected by Emerald Ash borer?   I've milled ash here in IL and IN and not had any sap issue.  They are affected by the borer and are not truly green.  They are probably 40 to 60 percent dry.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Ox

I find that when I saw a log caked in mud it leaves my blades nice and shiny, like it just went through a grit blasting machine.  I see how shiny they are when I'm changing them out for sharper ones.  ;D

Seriously, though.  I use a kerosene and bar oil mix and I only had a little buildup once.  I heard the difference in the song of the blade and turned up the drip a tad from one drop in 5 seconds to about 3 and all was well again.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Skip

We have plenty of ash left in WV , but they are stating to take hit. A logger friend of mine said he noticed that the trees on top of ridges where he is cutting are more affected by EAB than the ones in the hollers (valleys)  ???

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: Brad_bb on April 13, 2016, 08:24:23 AM
So in WV you have green Ash trees?  Not affected by Emerald Ash borer?   I've milled ash here in IL and IN and not had any sap issue.  They are affected by the borer and are not truly green.  They are probably 40 to 60 percent dry.
As Skip mentioned our trees are taking a hit. Every ash log I have sawed was damaged and dying from the E. borers. I never knew there were so many ash trees in this part of the country, especially on my property, till the bugs got into them. I guess I thought I had a lot more hickory than I do. I'm trying to salvage what lumber I can. Some are not truly worth it but hate to see them go in the firewood pile. I sawed a couple last week that each yielded only 4-5 boards 1"X6"X8' and a few 1"X1"X6' tomato/bean stakes. The ones I am sawing are truly green/unseasoned.
Howard Green

Thank You Sponsors!