iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Logset forwarders

Started by Firewoodjoe, April 06, 2022, 07:59:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wannaergo

I had a mechanic from Fabick cat tell me to avoid logset like the plague. They were having a really hard time getting parts. That particular dealership actually had a brand new harvester that was being used as a parts machine to support the local guys because they couldn't get anything. If I was you, I'd keep an eye out for a decent komatsu, Deere or ponsse. They seem to be the top three, as far as reliability and parts availability. We've got a komatsu 855.1 right now and we love it. 
2016 Ponsse ergo 8w
2014 Cat 564
Husky 385

Firewoodjoe

Thanks. I figured something had to be up with them. Yes Deere or ponsee would be nice. A decent ponsee around here is rare. I know one that was "decent" well they've put $50,000 into the fist year. Deere are here but at that 12-19,000 hour mark where they will need work soon also. To find one with 20-30,000 hours is kinda rare but if you do it's just as much money as a newer one because they've already put a gob of money into it. I think I will just have to keep looking until I have more cash to put with one. I just don't want a big payment. I tend to be pretty cautious and I'm not very risky. That don't help in this business. 

Firewoodjoe

@wannaergo how is that cat 564? Those popped up around here used about a year ago. 80-120,000 for a good looking one. I figured then they had some lemons. 

wannaergo

The one we had wasn't terrible, but they're very primitive compared to the euro machines. Basically the same technology in 2018 as 1995. Loud cab, less than comfortable seat, not very good visibility, not much crane power, not enough oil flow to run the crane and bucket at the same time, and poor service were the reasons we dumped ours. It was fairly reliable though
2016 Ponsse ergo 8w
2014 Cat 564
Husky 385

Riwaka

Probably some way of getting a younger machine than the iron mule.
aims 1. - not to spend too much 2. parts on shelf, no scrap yard part searches 3. soft on the environment 4. not too costly to operate or repair.

In an ideal world probably get a Tigercat 1055B forwarder, they appear over $100K, not an option.

Iwafuji - track carrier with crane. Terramac makes something similar in Illinois, but be telephone numbers. (Probaly some ancient tracked vehicles in the us similar)
ã,¤ãƒ¯ãƒ•ã,¸U-5CGフã,©ãƒ¯ãƒ¼ãƒ€ IWAFUJI Forwarder - YouTube

A farm tractor with large build numbers and forestry harden it, add a trailer with hydraulic drive axle. (Since Valtra forestry tractors with ground drive pto not common in North America)

Firewoodjoe

I'm working on a 646 valmet. It's not what I wanted but it's not beat up. And it's available. I didn't want it when I looked at it but he offered a different deal so I'm going to take dad down and run it. He's the one that has to sit in it. See how it all ends. 

Firewoodjoe

If anyone knows how the detent for the loader is activated I'd appreciate some schooling in this. Sounds like it's activated by electric and isn't functioning correctly. Thanks. 

leeroyjd

Joe there is a float switch on the dash. When working correctly you have to switch it to start machine and to run loader, then put the grapple on logs or bunk when you are going to move and switch it the other way (float)
 There were a few different dash configurations so I can't tell you which one it is. Snowstorm knows this model well and has been most helpful as well as GaryC and others.
 While not a Cadillac I really like mine. Been a while since I've checked but average 2.5 gals/hr. 2000+bf hardwood, more with White Pine.

Firewoodjoe

Thanks. Yes they have a good reputation and those two and others have told me many times to find one. I just wanted more power. And not have the loader detent stuff again. It's basically my mule but new version. But then again I love my mules so maybe it'll be my cup o tee🤷‍♂️

snowstorm

good choice on the 646. the first time you switch the crane off while its in the air  well you will not do that again. even with the crane on the front half they are pretty stable and you will never hit the cab with the crane. will it fall off a load of wood it can if you dont set it right close the grapple just a bit. its a non issue. there are 2 plates between the bunks to get at the drive shaft and greese the frame bearing. that bearing should be tightened every so often. it takes a special wrench. i had one made. a torque multimer and a 3/4 drive torque wrench. it needs 1000ft lbs. you will learn about shuttle valves. after a while the orings will go missing. the new style are much better. only buy they from komatsu. over all they are a pretty tuff rig

snowstorm

the detent thing is a flip of a switch. and the mule and the 646 came out the same factory just different owners

snowstorm

its 116 hp how much do you want? a hystat machine would be nicer to run but its more complex. and one with piston pumps is better but a new piston pump is 10000 plus and the gear pump on a 646 is 1500 maybe? it should be able to do at least 2 functions at once with out slowing 1 of them

Firewoodjoe

Thanks. I haven't bought it yet. And my mule is about 100hp. Or supposed to be and I have the same three speed. It's not enough power but I have the Ford axles and that video on the valmet 640 series says it's 15% more with the Deere axles. Must be lower geared. My mule you can't even use 3rd gear on a good rd it's so fast. 

chevytaHOE5674

Not sure it you bought one yet or not but I wouldn't limit yourself by distance. Don't settle for something just because its close and convenient. 

Traveling to look at a machine and have it hauled home is a one time expense. Dealing with something you don't really like or want 10 hours a day 6 days a week frankly sucks and ends up costing you in comfort and productivity.

Most all of my big tractors have come from 500-2000 miles away because they were what I wanted, in the condition I wanted. Every time I use them I don't say "man I wish I would have bought one with xxx, or I wish this has less hours, etc. The trucking was a onetime expense to not have buyers regret.

TW

I live 8 kilometres (around 5 miles) from the factory in Kvevlax, Finland where Logset machines are made. Around here they are very popular.
Rumours have it that there has been some logistic problems there lately. Because of the upstir in the world.

Thank You Sponsors!