iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Frozen Kamado Seals(The grill, not the animal)

Started by martyinmi, March 19, 2013, 05:34:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

martyinmi

The felt seals that seal off both halves of my grill are always frozen when I try to use it in the winter. Right now I've been fighting with it for an hour just to get the lid open. They freeze whether I use the cover or not. It's not really even that cold today(24 right now).
I even tried to line them with wax paper after I got done with it the last time, and now it appears that I have wax paper impregnated felt seals, and they are still frozen together. :-[
Any ideas? ???
Mine is not a BGE. It is a Vision.
No God, No Peace
Know God, Know Peace!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Hey Marty......I was at the bank Saturday. I thought about you. There was a book laying beside the teller and I asked her to hold it up so I could get a pictures. Here it is.  :D

Didn't mean to butt in on your seal problem.......but carry on as usual.

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Norm

What I do on my egg Marty is to get some of those paraffin lighter cubes that weber sells. I put one inside the bottom vent door and light it, sometimes it takes two of them to get it warm enough to loosen the seal up.

sprucebunny

I have no idea what you're talking about but.....Propane torch ???
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

thecfarm

I've got an idea. Anyway to leave a light in there and plug it in a few hours before needed?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

martyinmi

Thanks for the ideas!
My bride reminded me that I had the hardware store that I bought it from throw in an electric starter.
The grill has a port with a spring loaded flap that's made for the electric igniters.
I used it tonight and it works pretty good. It took about an hour(it was 26 at dinner time), and I didn't have to singe any of the felt seal with my propane torch. 8)
Made butter, herb and garlic potatoes and t-bone steak. :)

I doubt my desert was better than Norm's though! ;)
No God, No Peace
Know God, Know Peace!

Norm

:D :D

I'm sure your wife is a very beautiful gal Marty. I always told Patty I didn't really look at her for anything other than what she meant to me.  :)

Thank You Sponsors!