iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl MS 260 Pro

Started by chenangokid, March 26, 2021, 08:12:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chenangokid

hello  i am new to forum   thanks for having me    i am not a mechanic but i do some repairs  
i bought a used ms 260 pro    very clean    i am having trouble getting it to idle properly   
it will fluctuate  and sometimes  stall    but cuts well on full throttle.  
ok  the piston and cylinder are perfect  .  i checked gas line   , impulse line , and intake boot all looked fine   but i replaced them any way  and no change . it still had  orig carb  wt 403   with only  L adjustment and  La   so i replaced with cheap China carb    still  same prob .   i also replaced fuel line .    i also checked crank case  pressure and vacuum   they both held  perfect .
i also cleaned  exhaust screen  which was   dirty    and drilled 2 extra  3/16  holes in muffler and still no change .   i would appreciate any ideas  thank you  .   it is a very clean looking saw  .  
thanks for any suggestions  

chenangokid

P S  i also changed  air filter 

chenangokid

one more thing  my next move was gonna be   buying  a  walbro  wt 194   and try that

DHansen

What will the saw do if you lightly choke it while at idle?   After it stalls does it restart easy, or hard?  Do you have to choke it again when you try to restart it?   After a stall out and before attempting a restart, pull the spark plug and see if it is wet or dry?  Black or tan electrode color?  Have you tried, while the saw is running, spraying carburetor spray near the clutch side crankshaft seal?

chenangokid

not sure what happens if i lightly choke it    i will try  tommorrow     it restarts easy    but i have to give it some throttle   .    the plug is  slightly black     no i did not try spraying   car b spray  on clutch  side of crank seal     but both  pressure and vacuum test held perfect   .  

DHansen

Might be nice to try and eliminate a variable.  See if you can determine if it is lean.  A vacuum leak drawing in unmetered air will affect idle more than high speed operation.  The % of leak vs % of consumed air rate.  At idle by choking it slightly you will compensate for the leak or lean condition.  With the spray you may be able to pinpoint your leak.  Don't get carried away with the spray.   No lubrication with the carb spray and it can be flammable.  I have seen a saw catch on fire from a worn spark plug wire and brake cleaner spray.  Carb spray is a little less flammable.  

chenangokid

thanks for  help    i will try  choking it a bit at idle     but if ir had a vacuum leak    wouldnt it have showed when i did  crank case  pressure and vacuum tests ?

DHansen

I would think so.  How high of vacuum did you achieve and how long did it hold?  I'm sure others with more knowledge will chime in with suggestions.

DHansen

Does this saw have fuel management.  Not sure what Stihl calls their auto tune system.

mike_belben

No 260 pro was carbed.  

Read the tuning section on madsens saw shop page and start there. See if you can get the low screw to the highest idle position then bring the LA down until the chain sits still. 
Praise The Lord

chenangokid

the vacuum held for at least 15 minutes   
and  i can get the idle to stop chain  from turning  then all of a sudden  the idle will race  and the chain will turn        like its sucking air  all of a sudden    i am thinking of trying a  w t 194 carb    as a last resort     

chenangokid

and i did read  carb adjustment procedure    but it seems to change on its own   

chenangokid

i was almost sure  i would find  one of the crank seals  leaking     i was  actually dissappointed i didnt   lol     i hate to give up on it cause its such a clean saw  

DHansen

Does the idle speed increase by itself, just before the saw dies?

As it is about to die, can you throttle the saw up and prevent it from stalling?

chenangokid

no it doesnt increase     but if i give it gas it wont die    

sidehill6

are you located in chenango county? some really good saw guys here on the forum from surrounding counties.

DHansen

Any update, more information?  Based on description it sure sounds air/fuel related.  Have you tried to richen up the idle circuit?

donbj

Fuel lines in good condition? Change filter in tank? May not suck enough fuel at idle with a plugged filter.
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

chenangokid

no I had a camp in Chenango   which I sold last year   I am  near Troy    close to Vermont border 
and yes I did adjust  idle circuit   a few times    I also changed  fuel filter in tank  and fuel line and impulse line and  intake boot   I am goint to try  a walbro 194  carb        that is my last hope    at full throttle it cuts  great     just a pain that it wont idle     but not all the time      sometimes it will idle     I did not change the tank vent    but I cracked the gas cap   and it didn't help 

chenangokid

DHansen

Thank you.  He passed away last Saturday.  He would have been 16 this July.  His name was Fred.

chenangokid

sorry to hear   that is the hard part    I lost  a few over the last 10 years  I know it hurts  RiP  Fred 
the older I get the more it hurts  

chenangokid

i replaced the carb with a walbro 194      I guess it helped a little  .  but I noticed when you put the saw on the ground  the idle  gets low and wants to stall     then if you pick it up  the idle raises up 

DHansen

When you pick it up and the idle speed increases, does the chain start to turn?  Does it make a difference if you pick it up off the ground with the brake handle vs the handle bar?   How much does the rpm's change? 

chenangokid

I recently found out it is a problem with fuel pooling in the intake .    I was told there is a ridge on the cylinder intake  that pools the fuel   and when you pick it up  the fuel  drops I  comb chamber    causing idle to increase   .   I would have to grind the ridge  or lip on the intake  of the cylinder    which might help     supposedly it is common with some ms  260  s     I have not look at my  cylinder yet     but next time I have it apart  I will check  .    hope this helps someone else with the problem  .   Go over to Outdoor Power Equipment forum and look up "026 carb" thread. It's recent and shows the issue.

Thank You Sponsors!